Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Real puzzler here.

Fill up the cooling system as per recommended method (expansion tank to level).

Run the car for maybe 20 mins, all pipes get really hot, although the pipe on the drivers side of engine bay takes ages to get hot (Thermostat pipe). After approx 20 mins you can feel the pipes and they are definately harder - so systems pressurised.

Visual look "In - Out - Under - On top", I looked EVERYWHERE there is a pipe or connector and there is NO LEAK, nice garage floor DRY confirms this.

No slush or any sign of water contamination in oil.

Let the car cool right down (40 mins maybe) go back and I need to put in approx 1/2 to 3/4 pint water.

Its been like this every damm day, 5 miles to work and I need to top up with a pint.

Really stumped as to where is going.???? any ideas????

Thanks

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
its a 1990 Rev 1 Mk2, UK Spec (Right Hand Drive). Theremostat is on the drivers side. Near the exhaust manifold.

Graeme

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry, sometimes its so easy to forget......the internet and forums brings us all together into one common domain....Perhaps they should do the same with cars :lol:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow did'nt know that.....see how useful these forums are.....BUT, as wonderful to know, it don't solve my water works problem :confused:

Thanks

·
Registered
30 Posts
my 91NA had a similar problem. You could flush out the coolant system and get it pressure checked. My problem turned out to be a small cm sized crack on one of the metal pipes that runs under the car to the radiator. I was getting air in the system, and wherever I drove, the temp guage would be all over the place. So I'd say, remove your splash guards and see what you find.. that's where my coolant was going. If you drain it completely and fill up again, make sure you follow the toyota instructions. I believe there are two air bleeder valves (MK2 at least). They tried to charge me $1000 dollars to change that pipe, a little JB Weld took care of it. Even adding radiator stop leak helped the problem greatly. Good luck. I fee your pain, this problem is annoying.

·
N/A bites
Paseo
5,859 Posts
any steam coming from exhaust? Also look inside the intercooler to intake pipe and examine for dampness. Much as I hate to say, your head gaskets are the most likely cause.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Head gasket I would say is fine as the oil is spot on, no sign of any contamination.

No sign of any leaks, water, steam or anything. to be honest I have put clean card all under the car and nothing shows up at all.

Gonna do the flushing exactly to Toyota's instructions on the BGB

·
^
4,197 Posts
gtech said:
Wow did'nt know that.....see how useful these forums are.....BUT, as wonderful to know, it don't solve my water works problem :confused:

Thanks

O/T, but that was fucking hilarious. Or maybe I need sleep, I dunno.

I've heard that air pockets are common in MR2's, maybe try jacking up the passenger (your drivers) side as far as you can, then running it to operating temp and topping it up.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts