Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Klaatu barada nikto
'06 XR4WD Cosmic Blu
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a new set of wheels arriving soon with Yokohama Ice Guard tires mounted on steel wheels. So, the question is, should I take the time to wax these rims before I mount them on the car???

Thanks,
Bill

·
2005 Matrix XR AWD
2005 Matrix XR AWD
117 Posts
Yes yes and yes!

I took the steelies off my Civic, popped off the hubcaps and went to town. I took Simple Green with a scrub brush to the inside and outside to clean off brake dust and whatever else was on them.

I then put a coating of wax on the inside and out to clean them up. So much better, no rusting to worry about.

·
Registered
2007 Matrix XR
16 Posts
and to amplify what Whelan said...

By waxing the rims, it will make the brake dust clean up routine a little easier next time, the wax will make it release easier from the rims, and you won't have to resort to harsh cleaners or as much brushing as the first clean up cycle. So you won't have as much dust stuck on the rims to collect moisture and promote rust.

You may want to consider a synthetic wax as they last longer than plant based waxes and tend to have greater film strength. So a synthetic "wax" like the silicone based ones work great on wheels for longer lasting protection.

My appologies for going off all technical-like, yes I am a research chemist.

·
Registered
matrix
89 Posts
so how many of u guys popped the hubs off? mine have been off since november. planning wheels and tires in a couple months. plus ive got the phantom gray so black steelies look good on my car

·
Klaatu barada nikto
'06 XR4WD Cosmic Blu
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update ......

I got my Yokohama Ice Guard mounted on steelies.

I got the wheel set from DiscountTireDirect.com. After I ordered the wheels I had a couple of questions and called. The support rep was very helpful ( he actually helped expedite my order!). He gave me an accurate estimate of shipping and delivery. With free shipping I got the wheel set in four business days.

I got these wheels:

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct/findWheelDetail.do?wd=15&pc=72514&rw=6&bp=5-100

which were $48/per, but are now $53/per. Sorry, Tennessee ;-(

The rims were pretty clean and I just gave them a quick citrus cleaner spray before waxing. I used some old Vista paste wax and they came out great. I like GLsToyAuto's suggestion for the syn wax, but I'm going to use up this old Vista first. I also waxed my new wheel covers so the snow won't stick.

I used some Meguiar's Natural Shine Vinyl & Rubber Protectant on the sidewalls (inside and out) and they look really nice.

Best of all is that we got about an inch of snow tonight and the new tires performed brilliantly. I saw other people slipping around and these babies are solid. I have an XR 4WD and it calls for 35psi for fronts and 32psi for rears so that's what I put in and it worked great. I really want to feel the performance on slick ice and a good dump of snow. Lot's of great reviews for these tires and I got 195/65/15's for $65/tire.

I shopped tirerack.com when looking and they kind of laughed at me (I called) when I told them I was looking for steel rims. They just want to sell alloys. IMHO, alloy rims are a REAL waste of money when you live someplace where they salt the roads in the winter. If you neglect cleaning them one time, then you will end up with pits in the rims. I have been there. I'm not dissing tirerack.com, but they don't sell 15" steelies.
Fuggedaboudit.

Ok, happy motoring ;-)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Steelies vs Alloys

spin156 said:
Update ......

So if you paid $53 a piece for them, how about the hub caps ? or did you already have them ?
For the $53 and for me to get the Caps it would have been more than the $72 Alloys from The TireRack. I waxed them before I put them on and will again when I wash the car, so Im not worried about pitting or anything.....they will still look better than the steelies regardless...pitted or not :)

Just my $.02.....or $762

John

·
2005 Matrix XR AWD
2005 Matrix XR AWD
117 Posts
Steel wheels are acceptable if you are using snow tires. But if you are using just the steelies because you think they look good, i.e. you think they look like black rims, then you have problems. They do not look good, fairly ugly when plain, and they are by no means a performance wheel.

·
Klaatu barada nikto
'06 XR4WD Cosmic Blu
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Matrix1 said:
spin156 said:
Update ......

So if you paid $53 a piece for them, how about the hub caps ? or did you already have them ?
For the $53 and for me to get the Caps it would have been more than the $72 Alloys from The TireRack. I waxed them before I put them on and will again when I wash the car, so Im not worried about pitting or anything.....they will still look better than the steelies regardless...pitted or not :)

Just my $.02.....or $762

John
I got the $48/rim price ;-)

I bought new 15" wheel covers from AutoAmenities.com. $50/set.

I once paid over $800 for a set of alloys and one day I went to the beach. It was a beautiful summer day - not misty, or anything. Two days later my alloys were pitted and ruined. I could never be sure why they pitted, but afterward I heard plenty of stories about similar problems caused by road salt and seaside environments, so I vowed not to make that mistake again. That's just me and my experience. No more, no less. Yup, alloys will look better. No question.

My total, with wheel covers was $512, delivered to my house. All shipping was free.

·
Klaatu barada nikto
'06 XR4WD Cosmic Blu
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Whelan said:
Steel wheels are acceptable if you are using snow tires. But if you are using just the steelies because you think they look good, i.e. you think they look like black rims, then you have problems. They do not look good, fairly ugly when plain, and they are by no means a performance wheel.
I got steel specifically for snow&ice tires and the only performance I'm looking for is very good performance in ice and snow. I'm shooting more for utilitarian and long life, much more so than performance. Even with my heavy steel wheels, my car goes plenty fast enough to get bundles of tickets if I so desire.

Yes, they are certainly ugly when naked. But, not bad when covered up with a decent wheel cover. I like the stock 16" steel wheels and covers ;-)

·
Registered
38 Posts
No Snow

Spin156

Just noticed you were from So. NH too.....Arent you glad you spent the money on the Snow's ?
Seriously think we could have gotten by with out them this year.
I know darn well if I didnt get them we would have a a couple of feet by now.

John

·
Registered
38 Posts
No Snow

Spin156

Just noticed you were from So. NH too.....Arent you glad you spent the money on the Snow's ?
Seriously think we could have gotten by with out them this year.
I know darn well if I didnt get them we would have a a couple of feet by now.

John

1 - 13 of 13 Posts