Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!
My spouse and I got a 2021 Venza back in the fall and I don't love it. In fact, I don't even like it. We share a car as we are both working from home. I am not sure what to do. We have the limited and we WAY overpaid for it. That's part of the reason I hate it. it has been headache after headache for me. I am trying to sell it but we are getting low ball offers on trades! The most we have received so far is $35k from Carmax. I want out and we have found the car we both love. Any advice? we live on the East Coast if it's helpful!

· Registered
887 Posts
You'll generally get more selling it privately vs. trading it in or selling to Carmax.

It sucks to overpay, but that's also sunk at this point. Selling it at a loss and buying something new that will also depreciate seems to be a good way of throwing good money after bad.

But if there's other reasons you don't like it, agree with the others: sell it and don't look back.

Reactions: PurpleMartyr

· Camry Freak
2021 Highlander
5,373 Posts
Did you post two different threads under two different accounts? Why?

As I said in the other post... you are probably lucky that Carmax is offering you $35,000. The depreciation that you'll see in the first year is pretty harsh... especially if you know that you overpaid for the car.

A brand new Venza Limited has an average transaction price of $38,400 according to KBB.com. If you paid a lot more than that for your Venza, you are likely going to be dealing with some rough realities if you try and trade it in right now.

Either keep driving it and deal with it or sell it at a loss. 99.9% of cars are absolutely horrible investments. You will always pay more when purchasing and get a lot less when selling when dealing with new cars or dealerships. That's just the way it goes.

Cars are horrible financial decisions to buy new. You'll never get what you paid for it- or anywhere near it after buying a new car. Most experts agree that you lose between 15-20% of a new car's value as soon as you drive it off the lot. That's the game we all play when we plunk our cash down and buy new cars. Used cars are a little better- but not much.

· Registered
Corolla Hatchback
301 Posts
AS others have said, either keep it or don't. The good thing about your current situation is that used car values are as high as they've ever been due to supply issues. The bad thing is you still aren't going to get the taxes you paid back, even on a perfect sale.

I've seen one too many people bury themselves 2 or 3 times because they couldn't find the right car over the course of a couple years, don't be like them lol. Take this as a lesson I suppose and REALLY find out what car you want to drive and buy next. Maybe ask for an extended drive? We wouldn't do it but I've heard of US dealers sometimes OKing them.

· Registered
297 Posts
All good points from other posters above. I'm curious what you so dislike about the car.

I had a decent amount of buyer's remorse after buying my Venza, but I just keep finding more and more ways I really like this vehicle.

· Registered
55 Posts
The OP posted in another thread about excessive wind noise in their Venza with the Stargaze roof (so they have a Limited), as well as another thread about the car having died in their driveway and needing to be jump started. It simply sounds like they are not having the ownership experience they expected. It is hard to blame them for wanting out if that is the case. One of their other threads mentioned they possibly have 10,000+ miles on the car, so it isn't like they didn't give it a chance.

Life is too short to be stressed out with your car (new or old). If you have found a replacement car you love, and are in a financial position to be able to work a deal for it, then go for it! The $35K Carmax offer is an easy out, or see what the dealer selling the replacement car will give you for a trade.

13,522 Posts
The OP posted in another thread about excessive wind noise in their Venza with the Stargaze roof (so they have a Limited), as well as another thread about the car having died in their driveway and needing to be jump started. It simply sounds like they are not having the ownership experience they expected. It is hard to blame them for wanting out if that is the case. One of their other threads mentioned they possibly have 10,000+ miles on the car, so it isn't like they didn't give it a chance.

Life is too short to be stressed out with your car (new or old). If you have found a replacement car you love, and are in a financial position to be able to work a deal for it, then go for it! The $35K Carmax offer is an easy out, or see what the dealer selling the replacement car will give you for a trade.
Thank you

· Official PITA
'05 Solara Convertible & '07 ES350
1,514 Posts
I'm amazed at the high offer from Carmax. You have to remember that you're always at a disadvantage with a dealer.
They will never pay more than wholesale for your trade. Why? Because they can always buy the equivalent of your car at the dealer auction, at the current dealer / wholesale price. Much as you might love your car, to the dealer, it's just more metal.
I bought a hybrid 2014 Camry and found I really didn't like it: uncomfortable seats, not enough sound insulation to quiet road noise, and lots of wind noise. Sold it in just over a year, for about 14% less than it cost. You win some and you lose some, but have yet to make a profit on a car.

· Registered
32 Posts
someone told me that Toyota is going to run out of cars in 90 days because of the microchip shortage, and subsequently the used car market is red hot. that might be why carmax is giving him a pretty good price. also new cars are only coming with 1 key.

· Registered
51 Posts
someone told me that Toyota is going to run out of cars in 90 days because of the microchip shortage, and subsequently the used car market is red hot. that might be why carmax is giving him a pretty good price. also new cars are only coming with 1 key.
The chip shortage is real but not that bad. I am deeply involved in this market and Toyota is not going to run out of cars anytime soon

1 - 20 of 63 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.