Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my daughter a 2001 Toyota Celica Gt for her 16th birthday. Unfortunately, I did NO research before I bought it. Long story short, we have replaced the motor (with an '06) Corolla, the transmission, the catalytic converter, sunroof motor, put in new leather seats, we have replaced EVERYTHING. Well as anyone knows who has made this engine swap, the bosses have to be tapped for the mount on the passenger side that the corolla doesn't. The problem is that the bolts that were tapped worked themselves out and stripped the holes out. My question is, now how do we get the bolts to stay in because the bolt holes are bored out. PLEASE HELP!

·
Registered
3,795 Posts
Heli-coil if the bosses are large enough to handle the hole size necessary for the helicoil/bolt size.

But the issue you apparently have should not have happened - those bosses are drilled to the diameter required for the threads that will be tapped in them (undersized), then the tapping process, and that is it. The new tapped holes will be as strong as those made at the factory where the block was made. Were to boss holes drilled out to larger? Or maybe not straight? Often on these bolts, a non-permanet thread locker is applied to prevent bolts having the chance to back out.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, the guy tried several different things to get the bolts to stay in. He said the guy that did it the first time did not clean the oil or dirt out of the holes before he put the bolts in. Well, one of the bolts has worked itself out again. Can corolla axles be used on the Celica or what are my options here? This car has been a problem now for almost 2 years. PLEASE HELP!

·
Registered
3,795 Posts
For the engine holes that are stripped out, I would suggest taking the car to a good local auto mechanic, have the mechanic get the proper helicoils for the mounting bolts needed, let him drill the holes to the proper size for the helicoils, and have him install the helicoils. Could use keenserts as well.

Regarding your question on axles, what transmission do you have in there now (from the '06 Corolla), an automatic or a manual?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It is an automatic out of an 07 corolla and the engine is from an 07 as well...typo error before...the problem with using helicoils, etc. is that the mechanic said due to the location of the holes, the motor would probably have to come out for him to get to them to correct the problem. THAT is what i am trying to avoid.

·
One with the farce
3,796 Posts
I think that given the importance of the mounts, and the equally important task of doing the job properly, it would be in your best interest to remove it and do it on the bench instead of trying to Mickey Mouse fix it in the car, then never be able to fully trust the “repair”.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think that given the importance of the mounts, and the equally important task of doing the job properly, it would be in your best interest to remove it and do it on the bench instead of trying to Mickey Mouse fix it in the car, then never be able to fully trust the “repair”.
So I have been doing some research online, and I have seen where several people have said that you can undo the motor mounts and use jacks and wood blocks to raise the motor up enough to do the repair and then lower the motor back down. what is your opinion on this?

·
One with the farce
3,796 Posts
Based on my experience, the most important thing is comfortable and direct access to the holes, with a drill and also the tools to tap the hole for repair thread size. It sucks trying to fit a tool into a location where there’s not ample room, so if you can gain enough access by lowering it and removing any parts you need to, then it’s worth a try.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Oh one more question...on the bottom of the fuel filler line that goes down into the tank there is a valve that is plastic that goes in and out to let the gas fumes. Well the end part that goes in and out that is in the gas tank broke off, So, there is no way to fix that without going into the tank...correct?

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
For those going this route in the future, the Celica needs a J vin Corolla motor as they have the threads for the intermediate shaft.
J vin Celica and Corolla.

I believe the Celica transmission uses a different spline count on the axles so, no you can’t use the corolla axle. They both use the same wheel hub spline count but the transmission side is different.

I do have a question for you. Did you use the Celica or corolla transmission? I wanted to use a Celica transmission in my Jvin corolla. Trying to see if anyone else knows what I need to swap it into my corolla.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 13 of 13 Posts