Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope someone can give me a bit of advice on this topic. I'm going nuts trying to figure this out. Here's a quick synopsis.

It's a 98 tacoma 4x4, 3.4v6, TRD. Brakes have always been a bit week even when I bought it stock 3 years ago, so there has always been a problem, now that I have 35" tires obviously that emphasized the problem.

First problem was fluid in rear drum brakes. Replaced cylinders, but actually was the axle seal. Replaced those and brake guts, then adjusted. Still not very good. Tried adjusting proportioning valve armiture. No luck, changed proportioning valve since it look pretty beat up from something. Some difference, not much.

Thought it might be the booster, so had a shop replace that. No change in braking power. Shop said because of my supercharger I had a decrease vacuum. Ok, understandable even though I was still pulling 15 (inches?? or something like that), so to correct that I installed a vacuum canister. No shortage of vacuum now.

Front rotors were warped, so I installed some slotted/drilled baer rotors and high dollar pads. No difference yet. Just changed the master cylinder, still no difference. What the heck am I missing here!

And for those of you that think it is the larger tires, I'm not so sure. My braking power is so bad that even with stock tires I would roll right through stop signs in normal braking.

The calipers look fine, no leakage or rust. Before I waste money to replace them with no difference, I was thinking to go to a Big Brake system, but don't want to spend any more money with out some expert advice. Please HELP! Thanks.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Brakes

What kind of brake lines do you have?If there rubber try stainless steel.If you are dead set on those tires put rear disc brakes on it.Downey makes a nice kit.I had a 99 did great but after putting 33 on it added about 10 feet on the average to stop it.It aint going to stop on a dime with those tires on it.Bigger brakes will help for sure.When you change something its going to effect something else.One thing leads to another.I have owned several lifted trucks thats why both of mine are mostly stock now.If you want to run tires that big the easy way is with a full size one ton straight axle truck.

·
2002 Tacoma 4x4 TRD
2002 Taco
17 Posts
I had a similar problem on another truck and it turned out to be the abs unit (prob doesn't apply to you though).

What i did though was take off the brake line at the caliper and have someone push down on the brakes hard (don't let back off otherwise you'll suck the air back in). Brake fluid should have a lot of pressure and shoot a significant distance, if it just dribbles out or has a weak stream work your way all the way back to the master cylinder until it does. Eventually you'll find out what is causing it to not flow well. In my case brake fluid would flow really well right before the abs unit and then would be weak right after and then by the time it got to the caliper it just dribbled out.

Hope that helps. Let me know how it goes.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.