Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any suggestions on whether I would be better to get factory rubber floor mats and cargo, or an aftermarket product like husky or weathertech? I think the cost will be similar so it’s really about getting the best product and coverage as I carry and load lots of gear, equipment, and sometimes dirty, wet stuff.

platinum model though not sure that part matters

·
Premium Member
4,153 Posts
I used to buy WeatherTech floor mats all the time, but I went with factory all-weather mats on the 2020 Highlander. The factory all-weather mats used to be shapeless slabs of rubber, but now they're finally designed to fit the floor more exactly.

I liked the fact that the WeatherTech mat was a big bowl design for the driver's floor mat, but Toyota messed that up by attaching the gas pedal to the floor in 4th Gen Highlander. So no matter which floor mats you use, they'll now have a cutout for the gas pedal. That kills the idea of the floor mat fully containing snow/water.

I haven't purchased an additional cargo mat, but I imagine the WeatherTech is going to fit much more exactly than factory. The plastic Toyota cargo mat I have wouldn't do a whole lot to prevent water or mess from going over the edges.

If you search this forum for "weathertech" you'll find a lot more opinions. This question comes up fairly regularly.

·
Registered
'19 GMC Acadia Denali, '02 Honda Civic EX
1,325 Posts
I got mine from Costco online and I got the spider 3d matts and love them. They fit like a glove.
3D MAXpider Mat Custom-fit All-weather
A big +1 for these. I've had them in 3 different vehicles now and, IMO, they're the best there is when it comes to functionality and appearance. Fit is much better than WTs.

Reactions: NoGo3

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Some great comments already, thank you. Part of what prompted the question was I automatically assumed I would go with WeatherTech and when I went to their site and read the reviews for a Highlander they were far less favorable than what I’m used to seeing on their product. It appears some of that has to do with unexpected fitment problems related to the subwoofer on certain models but they weren’t enough reviews to drill team any conclusions

·
Registered
302 Posts
WeatherTech is going to fit much more exactly than factory
Only for XLE and below trims. You'll have to cut a bit of the cargo mat due to the sub enclosure in higher trims.

I do like the cargo mat in my XLE, though. Fits great. The front seat floor liners from WT fit well, but I'm noticing the entrance side vertical portion of the mat is getting bent inwards. It catches your foot when you enter - they probably could've gotten away with about a half inch less vertical rubber on the entrance side.

·
Registered
2021 Highlander XSE V6
267 Posts
I’ve had OEM and Weathertechs and not liking either of them. The Weathertechs aren’t as good as they used to be. Harder to clean and they seem to deform easier. I’ve used it for about 45k km through 2 winters and 2 summers. My last set in my 4Runner were pristine after 300k km of use and 12 winters.

I’m looking at a new option by a Canadian company called TuxMat.

Reactions: NoGo3

·
Registered
175 Posts
I’ve had OEM and Weathertechs and not liking either of them. The Weathertechs aren’t as good as they used to be. Harder to clean and they seem to deform easier. I’ve used it for about 45k km through 2 winters and 2 summers. My last set in my 4Runner were pristine after 300k km of use and 12 winters.

I’m looking at a new option by a Canadian company called TuxMat.
I use TuxMat and love them! They protest the foot well really nicely

·
Registered
22 Posts
If you tend to raise and lower the third row seats either totally or split, the Toyota OEM rear cargo liner has an advantage. It can stay in place with any of the third row configurations - both up, both down or split. I have a WeatherTech cargo liner that is only available in a size that covers the entire cargo area with the third row down. Works well in that configuration but I have to remove it if I want to raise the third row seat split or totally.

Black Wood Tartan Flooring Hardwood

·
Registered
175 Posts
Are the TuxMats sort of "pillowed" or "cushioned"?
Is the top surface fabric or some form of vinyl?
Does water soak in or can they be easily drained?
Are they black or more of a dark gray?

Sorry for all the questions but they do look great!
They are cushioned, its a fabric/vinyl of some sort. They do not feel wet. Just pull out to dump melted snow. They are black

·
Premium Member
4,153 Posts
The Weathertechs aren’t as good as they used to be. Harder to clean and they seem to deform easier.
I'm glad someone else said that. I thought it was just me. Yes, my most recent set of WT floor liners (2016 Highlander) seemed to be a lot harder to clean than the previous ones I had owned.

·
Camry Freak
2021 Highlander
5,382 Posts
I think that the Weather Tech liners are overhyped and not worth the cost. I bought a set of them for one of my recent Accord and found that despite their premium cost, they just didn't do a very good job at protecting the carpet. They didn't fit very tightly between the floor and the doorsill and salt and snow easily fell through the gaps in winter- leaving a mess underneath.

The OEM winter mats for the Highlander seem very good- and you can get them for about $165 online (plus $100 for the cargo mat)- much less than retail. The Weather Techs are much more than that- nearly $450 ($133 front, $90 2nd row, $90 3rd row, $133 cargo)... insane pricing for floor mats.

·
Registered
2022 Highlander Platinum - Wind Chill Pearl
843 Posts
Any suggestions on whether I would be better to get factory rubber floor mats and cargo, or an aftermarket product like husky or weathertech? I think the cost will be similar so it’s really about getting the best product and coverage as I carry and load lots of gear, equipment, and sometimes dirty, wet stuff.

platinum model though not sure that part matters
Weather Tech and factory mats are generally the same. I think Weather Tech makes them for the manufactures.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts