Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know what the combined weight of the OEM mounted 16" tire and alloy wheel that is on the "S" model?

I could jack up the car, pull one of the wheels and weigh it but I thought this info might already be out there (though I couldn't find it in a search.)

Maybe we could get the weights for all the OEM wheel combos for our cars and post them for future users/reference...

·
Registered
2009 Corolla Xrs
383 Posts
Useful information would be useful.

I don't know off hand, but I'll look in my manual tomorrow morning.

--Hmm, nothing in the manual, nor online. I did turn up a question asking the same thing in August 2008 on another forum; nobody responded.

It's possible to measure the weight of the wheel by subtracting the weight of the inflated tire from the total, but I don't own a large scale or a strong enough fish scale.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Just weighted the "S" OEM 16" alloys with 205/55/16's - 42lbs compared to 40lbs for my 15" steels with 205/60/15 Hankook iPike 409 winter combo.

·
Registered
2009 Corolla Xrs
383 Posts
Just weighted the "S" OEM 16" alloys with 205/55/16's - 42lbs compared to 40lbs for my 15" steels with 205/60/15 Hankook iPike 409 winter combo.
Damn that's a heavy tire/wheel combo. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks to Sienna1 for the effort.

That is a heavy combination. Think of the mileage and handling gains to be had by trimming 10-15% of the unsprung weight at each corner.

I'm going to try to keep any aftermarket tires/rims I go with to under 36 lbs to achieve a 15% reduction.

·
Registered
469 Posts
But just remember, you will usually sacrifice durability/longevity with a rim of lesser mass. Most OEM alloys are mostly high quality but usually have more mass/weight for just that reason.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Enkei RPF-1 rims with General Exclaim UHP tires (tire size varies)

16" combo - 31.7 lbs (24.5% weight reduction from 42 lbs stock)

17" combo - 33.6 lbs (20%)

18" combo - 38.8 lbs (7.6%)

19" combo - 40.4 lbs (3.8%)

For comparison, the stock 15" steel rims/with tires on the Yaris are 33 lbs.

·
Registered
2009 Corolla Xrs
383 Posts
Good to see this thread up and running. Now we just need someone with an XRS to find a scale... Or someone with a scale hunt down an XRS? :naughty:

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Good to see this thread up and running. Now we just need someone with an XRS to find a scale... Or someone with a scale hunt down an XRS? :naughty:

i'll try and see if i can weight my XRS tire with the alloy rims, i took them out for the winter and mounted 16inch steel rims and winter Xice's, so my original tires just sitting in my garage....cant wait to get them back on! LOL.

will keep u guys posted. oh by the way, just wanted to put it out there, i inquired how much wud an original XRS alloy rim cost me if i ever had to replace one......$640 CDN !!!! that's what the dealer told me...for one rim !!!

·
Registered
00 & 09 Corolla
59 Posts
So if I bought the 16" Borbet CA, that weights at about 21lbs, for my Canadian LE, it shouldn't make much difference from the OEM alloys?

The OEM alloy wheels for the Canadian LE and S are the same, and sienna1 said the OEM alloys are 21lbs.

Just in case anyone was wondering about why I chose the Borbet CA... I don't like the wheels too fancy. :D

Actually, I was thinking of buying the Borbet LV5, but my wife, holding the giant mallet behind me, isn't too fond of dark wheels.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
i like fancy wheels but not to the extent that it has spikes and horns similar to those that rappers use in their wheels.

·
Registered
00 & 09 Corolla
59 Posts
Assuming the width and offset of the rims are identical then you shouldn't notice any difference.
According to Tire Rack, the specs for the 16" Borbet CA is:
16x7.0"
Offset: 38mm
Backspacing: 5.53"
Bolt Pattern: 5-100
Rec. Tire Size: 205/55-16
Weight: 21.6lbs.

Got this wheel from using their "Search Wheels by Vehicle" engine. It also mentioned that it will need a centering/hub ring as well.

From another thread, Jeff Lange said the spec for the 16" wheel is:
16.0x6.5" +39mm Offset, 5x100mm Bolt Pattern

I think it's close enough to fit..... ?

Sorry, I didn't mean to sway anyone off topic.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
1 - 20 of 25 Posts