Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
poor college student
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is what I plan on doing in order to reduce the weight in my SV21 to compensate for my subwoofers:

(1)Remove rear bench seat
(2)Remove passenger Seat
(3)Remove spare tire
(4)Cut out spare tire well and weld aluminium over the hole
(5)Remove the AC Compressor

Thats all I can think of for the moment. Any suggestions?

·
Platinum Shift Customs
556 Posts
btw - cutting out your spare tire well and welding in alum will save you litle to no weight. (this is if you know how to weld steel to alum)

Do you ever plan on carrying people in your car?

Why not use fiberglass fenders, quarters, hoods, lightweight rims, and if light weight is your main concern then why did you add subs :lol:

goood luck

·
That Geeky Star Wars Girl
674 Posts
remove all the sound dampening with a heat gun and you could also pull the dash & trim pieces out too...

i mean you can go nuts stripping the car etc but i'm with everyone else, if weight is such an issue why have subs??? :confused:

Keri

·
Zzzz
Camry
2,255 Posts
you're far better off doing other things like buying a CF/FG hood and/or quarter panels and going with light rims, removing your subs and taking the spare out with the jack.

if you want to do a track run, just pop out the passenger seat and rear seat.

Personally, I wouldn't consistently leave my seats out unless I had another car to use as a daily driver.

·
poor college student
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Toysrme said:
Man it's your car but why sacrifice the comfort for what won't add up to a 1.5s 1/4 mile differance?
Touche, salesman.

And at the time I bought subwoofers, I wasn't concerned with weight in my car.

·
Banned
4,345 Posts
I'm not either. I probably have 100lbs of audio in the trunk. Do I ever take it out? Nope. Would I if I ever went tor ace? Sure... Once I was at the track LoL!

·
Registered
785 Posts
does anyone by any chance make fiber glass windows instead of glass windows fr camrys? that would be tight, shatter resistant and lighter.

·
Zzzz
Camry
2,255 Posts
MadDawg said:
does anyone by any chance make fiber glass windows instead of glass windows fr camrys? that would be tight, shatter resistant and lighter.
umm all car windows for quite some time have been shatter resistant.

·
Where's my boomstick?
2,528 Posts
UfoZ8myCow said:
I say you just start drilling holes in everything. The doors, the floor boards, the trunk, the hood... Swiss cheese mobile!!!
Hey that was my suggestion a while back when a guy wanted to reduce the weight of his celica!

stevethecleric said:
Drive on an empty gas tank - 12gal of gas is really heavy, try 2
Remove all glass - buy some goggles to save your eyes, ditch all glass
Ditch the hoods completly - whats not there weighs nothing
Lawn chairs - ditch the seats, bolt down some lawn chairs weigh like 5 lbs for all seats
Strip the paint - go bare metal, paint is heavy
Take out the rear brakes - the fronts do most of the work anyway
Ditch the head lights - who needs to drive at night?
Ditch the windsheild wipers - have no windsheild, why do you need wipers?

Drill GIANT holes throughout the car - swiss cheese mobile
2 lugnuts per wheel - saves more weight than the power antenna

WHY BOTHER? What type of gains do you really think you are going to get? what type of hit do you think you are taking by having 50lbs of audio equipment in the trunk? Thats right NONE!
http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=35453&perpage=15&pagenumber=1

·
The Greatest
3,830 Posts
The best post i remember in one of these threads was.....

Shave your head and drive naked? - Anonymous. :lol:

·
Zzzz
Camry
2,255 Posts
MadDawg said:
i meant as in shatter resistant, as in break resistant... could you emagine plastic or fiber glass clear windows?
umm, all glass will break, automobile glass is made of glass with layers of plexiglass on both sides so if the glass itself breaks it will not actually go through either side.

this has been in use since IIRC the 50's.

If you used acrylic or fiber glass, your windows would bend in at any decent speed, both acrylic and fiber glasses are not very durable at all, I've worked with both ample times and neither are suited for use on an automobile, nor would they have any benefits over the glass that is used.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts