Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
i have a very high pitch rythmic squeak coming from what sounds like the drive shaft when the powertrain is in gear. it is a real tinny sounding squeak. it is audible wether or not i have my foot on the gas, though louder with the foot on the gas. it goes away instantly if i depress the clutch pedal. sounds as if it is coming from just past the transfer case, but who knows. please tell me this is not the tranny gettin ready to go! u-joint? i looked around but i don't really know what to look for other than making sure there is not grease anywhere it's not supposed to be or any loose bolts. any ideas

oh, and this is on a 99 xcab 2.7l 5speed

·
Registered
2000 Tacoma 4X4 Ext.
66 Posts
Sounds to me like it could be a throw out bearing if it stops when you push the clutch in. But you can normally hear that noise whether it's in gear or not.

·
Registered
2002 toyota Tacoma
906 Posts
Your throw out bearing would only make the noise when the clutch is engaged. When the clutch is not engaged the throw out bearing just sits there. There was just a long thread about that and it was said to be the carrier bearing causing the problem.

Lance

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
upon closer inspection i can still hear the noise with the clutch in - but at a greatly reduced level. is this something requiring immediate attention if it is the throw out bearing? also, there seems to be a bushing between the two segments of the drive shaft. . .could that be a source?

lately i have been doing a bit more off-road resulting in some - not a ton - of smelly clutch burning; could that either instigate or worsen the situation?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts