Toyota Nation Forum banner

Weird electrical issues, Help!

1053 Views 3 Replies 2 Participants Last post by  hardtopte72
I have an 05 Sequoia Limited. I start the engine, the outside air temperature isn't reading, the doors won't lock when placed in gear, the engine coolant temperature gauge isn't reading, and the dash illumination comes on after truck is started (headlights are off). All of these things work when the key is turned to run with the engine off. Also the tilt button doesn't work which may or may not have been that way before. I don't open the sunroof much. I'm lost, I don't even know where to begin. Any ideas? Thanks
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Super Moderator
2005 Corolla CE
14,858 Posts
Some Sequoia models with sunroof exhibit weird electrical issues when water leaks onto the fuse box. A good sign of this is an alarm that randomly comes on. The cause usually appears to be clogged drains, but you may also have a bad fuse box or bad wiring. It is highly unlikely all of those components failed separately.

Did the issues start recently?

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Some Sequoia models with sunroof exhibit weird electrical issues when water leaks onto the fuse box. A good sign of this is an alarm that randomly comes on. The cause usually appears to be clogged drains, but you may also have a bad fuse box or bad wiring. It is highly unlikely all of those components failed separately.

Did the issues start recently?
Thanks hardtope72. Well actually, it's funny you mention that. A few months ago, my sunroof was leaking and I had an issue where the truck would start its self when placing the key to the run position. I went to open the sunroof to clean the drains and it was stuck closed because of rust and corrosion. I ended up replacing the whole sunroof assembly and motor, cleaned the drains, then went to the fuse box to investigate. I removed the fuse box under the dash and found water in the fuse box. The electrical connectors looked okay and most of the corrosion was in the fuse box itself. I got another fuse box, cleaned the connectors a bit and put it all back together. My issue with the truck starting with the key in the run position was solved and I haven't had any issues until now. I went back to the fuse box yesterday and looked for more water and corrosion and I didn't find anything. Now that you mention the this issue, I'm wondering if I have a bad pin in one of the connectors. I'm gonna go back in and check every pin in those connectors. I'm also going to have a friend bring his Snap-On scanner over so I can check if there are any fault codes in the body control module (or what ever Toyota calls it) just in case the issue could be caused by something else. I'm a VW/Audi mechanic by trade and this Sequoia is my daily and I haven't done anything but routine maintenance to it in the two years I've owned it.

· Super Moderator
2005 Corolla CE
14,858 Posts
Thanks hardtope72. Well actually, it's funny you mention that. A few months ago, my sunroof was leaking and I had an issue where the truck would start its self when placing the key to the run position. I went to open the sunroof to clean the drains and it was stuck closed because of rust and corrosion. I ended up replacing the whole sunroof assembly and motor, cleaned the drains, then went to the fuse box to investigate. I removed the fuse box under the dash and found water in the fuse box. The electrical connectors looked okay and most of the corrosion was in the fuse box itself. I got another fuse box, cleaned the connectors a bit and put it all back together. My issue with the truck starting with the key in the run position was solved and I haven't had any issues until now. I went back to the fuse box yesterday and looked for more water and corrosion and I didn't find anything. Now that you mention the this issue, I'm wondering if I have a bad pin in one of the connectors. I'm gonna go back in and check every pin in those connectors. I'm also going to have a friend bring his Snap-On scanner over so I can check if there are any fault codes in the body control module (or what ever Toyota calls it) just in case the issue could be caused by something else. I'm a VW/Audi mechanic by trade and this Sequoia is my daily and I haven't done anything but routine maintenance to it in the two years I've owned it.
How did you access the front drains? I really want to clean mine.

Also, hopefully you figure it out.

If you need an repair manual documents, send me a PM and I'll get them for you.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.