Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm a newby and this is my FIRST POST so please be nice...

I replaced my timing belt couple of weeks ago (140k) along with the water pump as dealer recommended. Next day, I started to hear weird clicking and grumbling noise (can feel it too) when the car starts moving. The noise is always generated when the car moves after complete stop. But I hear the noise only at low speed and can't hear it when at high speed (above 30-40 mph).

So I went back to the dealer and they said the engine mount was bad and would cost me $160+tax to replace them (BS! - No go...). Opening up the hood I found the radiator fluid leaking from a crack on the top plastic part of the radiator also. Would this have been caused due to replacing the timing belt and water pump?

Then, I thought the noise was coming from my recently replaced CV joint so I went to the shop where I replaced them. After riding with the mechanic he told me it isn't from the joint since there are no noise generated during turning but maybe due to my bad struts... I new my front struts were going bad so I decided to change my struts.

Guess what, problem still not solved...

The thing is, I started to hear the noise only after I replaced the timing belt and water pump. But what can this cause to generate strange clicking noise?

Thanks for your help and input!
:(

·
Registered
633 Posts
Yes ! It can come from your timing belt. Just remove it and replace it again. Once you place it, turn the crankshaft three times and check again all alignments. I am sure there is one teeth of difference somewhere, that can explain the strange noise. It shouldn't do any harm as long it's not more than one teeth.
Your fluid leaking problem is certainly a different problem.
Just come back here if you have any other question.

btw welcome to TN !

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply Nico...

It turns out that there are three mounts that stablizes the engine.
Motor mount (dogbone), front engine mount, and rear engine mount.

It was the front engine mount that had gone bad which generated the noise not the motor mount as the dealer diagnosed originally. I'm going to replace both mounts.
Any clues on how to DIY?

Your input is appreciated!

Vipe

1 - 3 of 3 Posts