Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '09 XRS automatic, 15,900 miles (25,588 km). A few days ago I started to notice a weird noise only when changing from D to N.

The sound is low, like a double whistle. It happens after using the car for a while, so the tranny is normally hot. After completely stopping, when changing from D to N (no hand brake applied at this moment), the sound happens. If I change again from N to D, and D to N, like 3 more times, the sound get progressively lower until is gone. It doesn't happen when changing from/to other gears, only from D to N.

However, for normal operation, it's a blast, it shifts when it supposed to, fast engagement between gears, no weird sounds when shifting. If I floor the pedal, the tranny will downshift quickly and then if I depress it, it upshift quickly. No change in this area since I bought the car. Even, when the engine is cold, the engagement in gears is still normal.

Anybody had this experience or a similar one? I did the 15,000 miles maintenance and everything is fine, no engine light since I bought it.

Do you think that changing the tranny oil at this point may help? This is something that I was planning to do.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2010 Corolla S
427 Posts
aside of this noise..what else are you experiencing? when you drive the vehicle, does the car jerk as you hit the gas..do the rpms seem higher than usual?

i think your pressing on the gears too hard going from d to n and then p..but i dont know just my opinion

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
aside of this noise..what else are you experiencing? when you drive the vehicle, does the car jerk as you hit the gas..do the rpms seem higher than usual?

i think your pressing on the gears too hard going from d to n and then p..but i dont know just my opinion
Thanks for the reply.

No, the car doesn't jerk when I hit the gas, the rpms are fine as usual, nothing wrong here.

What do you mean on pressing too hard on the gears when going from d to n? When I completely stop to park or turn off the engine, I keep pressing the brake pedal, then change from D to N (when the low noise happens after driving for a while), then to R, then to P, then apply the hand brake.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts