Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hate to make an account just to state that I have a problem, but now that I have found this place I might stay awhile.

So about 2 months ago I got the front pads and rotors replaced on my 2002 Corolla.

Soon after, I got my oil changed.

Shortly after that, I started to hear an odd rattle (Like metal on metal) from the front, right wheel-well, whenever going over a bump or something the like. This sound has been slowly growing since and has become more of a knock and, I think, started to come from the entire front end and not just the left wheel.

It doesn't seem to manifest its self while in a turn at low or high speed.

Any one run into this problem or have any idea what it could be.

Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
'98 Corolla LE
221 Posts
Who did the brake work? First thing I'd do is pull that right tire off and make sure they bolted the caliper back in properly. While the tire is off, check around for loose components, especially the stabilizer links. When those go bad, they "bobble" every time the car goes over a bump in the road. Can be quite maddening after a while!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A good friend of the Family did it. He's a instructor at a local technical college. I was there while he did it. He's not one to try and screw any one over. Though it would seem that an issue with a stabilizer link would seem to jump out it there was one.

I was also told by someone else that it could possible have to do with anti-rattle clips/ shims on the breaks. Though he doesn't know a whole lot about corollas, and was just given a general over view of some cars.

·
Registered
'98 Corolla LE
221 Posts
Well people make mistakes (like forgetting to tighten caliper bolts), wasn't suggesting he was out to screw anyone.

The stabilizer link is still under pressure when the car is jacked up and the tire off because the coil spring is pushing the strut all the way down. So if you grab the link to check for looseness, it'll feel tight. I put a scissor jack under the strut and raise it up a bit to take the pressure off the link, then you can check for play (makes it easier to replace too).

Sometimes you can check for a bad link by bouncing that corner of the car up and down by hand. If you can get enough vertical movement going, the link may become audible. But if you don't hear it, still doesn't mean it's not bad.... Just a quick check.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you and I wasn't trying to imply that you were implying anything... if that makes sense. :p

I will attempt to check this in the coming week, it doesn't look to be a pricey component either. Are these just prone to wear and go bad eventually, or could there be something more serious at play?

Thanks again for all the help.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So I lifted the car this morning. There doesn't seem to be any movement in any of the joints or linkages.

The only thing that seems to be wrong is the rubber boots on the shock absorbers seem to have detached from the bottom half of the shock. Which leads me to think that maybe the front shocks need to be replaced.

Could this sound be coming from that?

·
Registered
'98 Corolla LE
221 Posts
Did you try bouncing each front corner up and down and listening for the clunk?

Doubtful that the strut is causing the issue from the boot. The strut mount at the top however could be bad and making that noise. Open the hood and watch it as you bounce the corner up and down. Excessive movement could indicate a problem.

And as I said before, the stabilizer links are still under pressure when one wheel is jacked up and will feel tight when you grab them to check for play.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
EdW, maybe I should wake up and actually pay attention to what I read.

I did attempt to bounce the car but didn't hear anything.

I lifted the Strut this morning, and found that I could wiggle the stabilizer link a fair amount, but not to the amount that it felt like it was just going to fall off.

How much play should these linkages have?

·
Registered
272 Posts
How much play should these linkages have?
Virtually none. When I replaced my original sway bar links a months ago, all 4 were totally gone. The new ones are very stiff, needing about 5-10 pounds of force to move the ball joint.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So now that I have determined that his is the likely cause of the sound, would anyone be so kind as to direct me to a place to buy replacements, and the technical names for such devices.

I have search "Stabilizer links" and "front link bar" though I can't seem to find a retailer that has a picture of what I am looking for. They all seem to be considerably longer, then what I see under the car.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts