Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My old starter finally gave up the ghost, so I got a remanufactured Denso at Napa. Well, it doesn't fit. The difference between the old starter and the new starter is that the solenoid on the new starter is close to one of the bolts, to the side. On the old one, it's in the center. (See photo.)

The Napa website has a photo that is like my old starter (so the one they gave me doesn't match their photo). When I searched on different auto parts sites, I mostly find photos with central solenoid, but I found one (Carquest) that was to the side.

Anyone knows what the other part is for? I'm afraid that when I return it to the store tomorrow, they won't know what to give me. Or when I get another one somewhere else, it will not fit either.

It's hard enough to get around by having to borrow my wife's car. She is practically never at home.

Attachments

·
Various Toyotas
4,088 Posts
My old starter finally gave up the ghost, so I got a remanufactured Denso at Napa. Well, it doesn't fit. The difference between the old starter and the new starter is that the solenoid on the new starter is close to one of the bolts, to the side. On the old one, it's in the center. (See photo.)
The Napa website has a photo that is like my old starter (so the one they gave me doesn't match their photo). When I searched on different auto parts sites, I mostly find photos with central solenoid, but I found one (Carquest) that was to the side.

Anyone knows what the other part is for? I'm afraid that when I return it to the store tomorrow, they won't know what to give me. Or when I get another one somewhere else, it will not fit either.

It's hard enough to get around by having to borrow my wife's car. She is practically never at home.
That's not the correct starter or it isn't a Denso. It should be Denso part #280-0330. I didn't know NAPA even sells Denso stuff, so that's interesting. Here is the Denso starter:

It's very expensive, though. A good NEW starter for a good price is this TYC starter:

$89 on Amazon Prime:

[ame]https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001KS9K5M/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1[/ame]

I've had my TYC starter since 2015 and it has been excellent. I had a Carquest reman starter from Advance Auto Parts before the TYC and it only lasted a few thousand miles before it took a dive on me.

·
The Return of the Red Coupe
16 Scion tC
19,660 Posts
Looks like it Could be an older (1ZZFE) design, the 8th gen alternator seems to be off to the side, where the 9th gen is centered. It would still work as long as the plugs are the same, and the solenoid being off to the side doesn't get obstructed by anything.

9th gen -- https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/toyota,2005,corolla,1.8l+l4,1433059,electrical,starter+motor,4152

8th gen -- https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/toyota,1999,corolla,1.8l+l4,1432911,electrical,starter+motor,4152

if you don't feel comfortable with it, just take it back and tell them they gave you the wrong year Corolla and it's supposed to be centered... but if that number still cross-checks in their system as "compatible" they may not have both of them in stock and probably only keep the one stocked.

·
Registered
224 Posts
All the starters that Rock Auto sells are the ones you want, solenoid in the center. Bring it back to the seller with your old starter and if they don't have what you need, shop elsewhere or order online.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the useful tips. I brought it back today, and they opened a different box (supposedly the same product) which had one with the central solenoid. Maybe some worker somewhere put the wrong one into the box.

I've installed the new (remanufactured) one tonight and it works great! I can finally drive to work tomorrow.

By the way, the one that I received first was impossible to install, because the air intake physically obstructed the solenoid.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts