Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
I have OCD
189 Posts
What is the release date? Toyota has been saying not until late 2010/early 2011. If that's true then iQ will launch around the same time Chrysler is bringing Fiat 500 on North American shores. It'll be interesting competition between iQ, Mini Cooper and Fiat 500.

·
Registered
123 Posts
What is the release date? Toyota has been saying not until late 2010/early 2011. If that's true then iQ will launch around the same time Chrysler is bringing Fiat 500 on North American shores. It'll be interesting competition between iQ, Mini Cooper and Fiat 500.
How interesting will that be? imho, both the Mini and Fiat's appeal are on their motoring heritage and updating that heritage to a new fan base. The IQ, in comparison, seems much more dull (as a drivers car) but will be compared only because of their relatively small size and purported high mileage. May as well throw a SMART into that comparison test, eh?

·
I have OCD
189 Posts
I don't consider a four wheeler with 3cyl engine a "car".
IQ has 90hp 1.3L engine with reportedly higher mileage than smart which has 70hp 1.0L 3 cyl engine. Smart has no chance. Not to mention Smart is ugly and less spacious.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I don't consider a four wheeler with 3cyl engine a "car".
IQ has 90hp 1.3L engine with reportedly higher mileage than smart which has 70hp 1.0L 3 cyl engine. Smart has no chance. Not to mention Smart is ugly and less spacious.
Smart being ugly is subjective

Smart being less spacious.. well.. lets see... it is SMALLER ;) (shorter by 10 inches and narrower by 5 inches). The toyota will NOT fit in some places the SMART can.. but perhaps because of its smallness, the Smart just can't catch on here in "supersize it" america.

I'll hold out on mileage ratings until BOTH cars are tested the same way for the same market.

per here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_iQ the IQ is available in other markets with.. a 1.0L, 3cyl motor producing 67hp. I guess it makes that version "not a car" by your standards, yet in fact it would seem to be DIRECT target to the type of motor/performance offered in the Smart.

IMHO, the 1.4L diesel would be an even better motor for the IQ, but that will never come to the US due to 1) our "diesel" aversion and 2) would hurt Hybrid sales ;)

·
2,667 Posts
^^Totall agree on the diesel opinion.....

I think it would be a perfect engine here but your right, it would be on par with Prius MPG and we can't have that.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Went to the LA show over the weekend. I was talking to one of the Scion marketing people that was there, and he said they were told to stop saying March for the release date. He said it sounds like the launch is getting delayed.

·
Vivir el momento
Corolla
18,784 Posts
Went to the LA show over the weekend. I was talking to one of the Scion marketing people that was there, and he said they were told to stop saying March for the release date. He said it sounds like the launch is getting delayed.
Not surprised. There will be a lot of criticism thrown in their direction if they don't get it right since Toyota's been under the close scrutiny of the media and public over the past year.

·
Live to Surf Surf to Live
11 Posts
There are some in the parking lot at headquarters in Torrance. Dealers are saying July for release and a starting price of 14K.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts