Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having a problem with my 96 Camry which I have had before, probably also in the summer time. Both of my front carpets are very moist, especially the passenger side. The back carpets seem to be okay, although I thought I noticed some moisture on the rear driver side carpet previously. The moisture is clear, so I guess it could be water. Does anyone know what could cause this?

Thanks a lot

·
Know God. Work Hard.
4Runner
2,194 Posts
Have you run over any rocks or something high that could have scraped the bottom of your car? I would recomend to take your remove your carpeting in the front to expose where you put your feet and check for any holes. Patch 'em up with Silcone and put duct tape ontop of it. Thats what I did with mine.

Let your carpets dry out in the sun and while they are out, FEBREEZE them to remove that nasty "wet smell".

·
Got Hardass?
2,959 Posts
If the water is in fact clear, I'd suspect condensation from the A/C system first. However, if you rub your fingers in it, and it feels lightly grease, smells sweet (Don't taste it...), and when it dries it's sort of sticky I'd be tempted to say you've got leak in your heater core. Is your coolant staying at a good level (i.e. No leaking?)

·
Registered
142 Posts
try to find out where its coming from (where it is most wet). if its in the front, then its probably the heater core.

·
S14 Fever :D
1993 Toyota Scepter
2,456 Posts
I have the same damn problem:mad:
It seems to only do it when it rains, but when I wash the car the carpets are dry:confused:

2005 Tacoma X-Runner
9,188 Posts
There is a drain tube that goes through the floor for the ac. You have to take out the floormats, lift the carpet out of the way and you'll see the tube. It's pretty high up into the firewall. Im guessing it has came out of the hole.

·
S14 Fever :D
1993 Toyota Scepter
2,456 Posts
Thanks so much:) I will check into it tomorrow

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for your help. The moisture seems to be water, but I'll check again. I was having problems with my heating/cooling system about 6 months ago, but I think that was due to a cracked head gasket, which was fixed. My coolant level has been fine since then.

·
Registered
95 Posts
My carpets also get wet.. My car doesnt overheat but I notice alot of stains on the car from coolant overflowing out of the reservouir and I havent smelled the carpets lately but when I put on my new pedals it was mostly in the front seats and in the back a little and it wasnt clear..

·
Wannabe Noob
77 Posts
Your A/C drain tube is clogged....its in the front passenger side. Pull out your carpet and you'll see the tube. When you remove it a lot of water will come out. Just clean the tube and make sure nothing is blocking the water flow....

·
Registered
Toyota Camry & Pruis
5 Posts
Just a comment since it just happened to me...wet carpet front and rear!

I had the exact situation with wet carpets in the front driver & passenger and rear carpets in the 99 Toyota Camry LE. This happened after I used the air conditioner during the hot summer months.

I discovered even through my Evaporator drain hose was connected at the bottom of the passenger side floor and exited though the floor and the drain hose was in good condition but was clogged.

I used a wire hanger bent at the end to make sure that I did not puncture the hose -- and wishing that I had bucket when I pushed it the water rushed out -- luckily I jammed the hose back into the grommet (it was in good condition) where it exited through the floor. I made sure that I did not push it very far since I didn't want to puncture the evaporator cooler.

I noticed that since I cleared the air conditioning drain hose, it was still constantly dripping water (slow drops) about 1 foot away from the drain hose just behind the cooler cover No.1

I have placed a flat small dish to see if there is anymore dripping of water at this location so hopefully I will be able to see if it is still dripping or it has stopped when I run the air conditioner. I will also pull the drain hose again out from the grommet though the floor to check to make sure that its working properly and draining. I want to be sure its still not backing up before replacing the carpet since its all mildew and moldy since I had waterproof mats over the car's carpet.:wiggle:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts