Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1999 Tacoma SR5 2.4L
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I frequently have wet passenger floor carpet lately on a 1999 Tacoma SR5 2.4L 4-cyl. It started a couple summers ago, and got advice here to ream out the A/C rubber drain tube under the engine and passenger compartment. That worked fine as it was blocked and lots of water then drained out. Did that a few times over the last couple years.

But now even in the fall cold weather when not using the A/C the passenger carpet is wet. I wonder if too aggressively clearing out the hose may have affected or ruptured it. Also I'm not sure if using the defrost on a 1999 Tacoma activates the A/C, causing this. Or maybe a crack in the undercarriage causing water to enter. Anyone else experience this on a 1st gen Tacoma?

·
Registered
1999 Tacoma SR5 2.4L
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
UPDATE:: After driving through recent snow and slush and then manual washing included thorough water hosing the underside to rinse off road salt, no wet floor at all. So concluding must be that A/C drain nose that can get clogged with dust and debris, causing water to backup into the passenger compartment from behind the glove compartment. Seems to be no other explanation.

·
Registered
1999 Tacoma SR5 2.4L
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
2nd update: Took my Tacoma to local Toyota dealer see if they could patch up or replace any leaking A/C drain hose. They couldn't figure it out and recommended to live with the wet passenger floor, or else they would have to remove the entire front dash to look for a leak at a cost of $1400. I said thanks but no thanks.

I noticed the floor gets wet only when using the A/C in the summer, or with either of the 2 window defrost modes any time of year. Also noticed the A/C always gets turned on automatically when using any of the defrost modes. So has to be a leaky A/C drain hose somewhere.

Today I removed the glove compartment and found about a half inch diameter corrugated plastic hose behind there that was cracked and slightly broken. I could see where water could leak from there down to the passenger floor. Wrapped that part of the hose with strong duct tape. Hopefully that will last for a few years, and am pretty sure I found the problem.

I think I damaged that plastic hose last summer when ramming zip cord through the drain hose exit too far in trying to clear out clogged debris. But disappointed the Toyota dealer couldn't do a simple check behind the glove box to find it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts