Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Buck
2013 Tundra TRD Ltd
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
During the last snowstorm my intermittent wipers were changing the number of times the blades were activated in a random way. They usually go twice, then stop. They went once, then twice the next time, then three times, then once...any idea what part of the system is freaking out? Now that it is a bit warmer, they seem to be back to the normal two-times pattern...

·
Registered
01 & 04 S-Runners
567 Posts
According to the 2005 Factory Service Manual, intermittent wiper operation is controlled by "... a condensor charge and discharge function in the relay." It appears to me the wiper relay is integrated into the wiper 'combination switch' (control on the steering column). If it was the controller (i.e., the relay) that was to blame, it's hard to see how environmental conditions (cold / wet) could have caused it.

There's some 'circuitry' associated with the wiper motor itself. I suspect it's a lot more likely that if environmental conditions were responsible, they were affecting the wiper motor (and / or associated equipment) than the relay / controller.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts