Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2006 4 dr 4X4
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am on the verge of acquiring a '99 XLS. Mileage is a little high (140XXX) but the car is pristine. No smoke, no leaks, in beautiful condition. Leather is in awesome condition, body is perfect. Somebody please tell me if these gorgeous cars have an Achilles Heel. I love it and hope they don't. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
4,519 Posts
The weak point of Avalon's is the suspension, they are quite noisy. Check and see if it make noises going over bumps. Another thing is to check if the oil was changed regularly.

·
Registered
2006 4 dr 4X4
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Car has been lovingly maintained, was bought from Toyota dealer as Certified previously-owned car, like I said it is in incredible condition.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Things that needed to be replaced/repaired,(other than routine maintenance e.g. timing belt, brakes, plugs, etc.) on my '97 with 160k mi:
rack & pinion, front and rear struts, leak in power steering pump, leak in rear valve cover gasket, front window glass channels(wind noise problems), instrument panel light bulbs- that's about it.

·
Registered
4,519 Posts
In the 129k miles our family has owned our Avalon the check engine has only came on twice, Loose Gas Cap and Oxygen Sensor...that is about it. Always started on the first try. At the moment it needs new struts and springs, front sway bar bushing, timing/belt water pump, spark plug and wires, starter contacts that is about it. Nothing major...only problem I have is that brake system is weak(especially in the rain).

I would buy it, post pictures if you do.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
20 Posts
I bought a 96 XLS that had 125K miles on it in the Spring of 2006. The car had 201K on it now. Here is the list of parts that I had replaced since I bought the car excluding tires and brakes:

Rear hubs and bearings
Power steering pump and Rack
Rear right speed sensor
Front and rear valve cover gaskets
Knock sensors and harness
Driver side power window
EGR modulator
Front and rear stabilizer Bar Links
Timing belt and water pump
Spark plugs and wires

Things that are not working but did not get fix:

Rear driver and passenger side power windows
Power moonroof

The total cost of repair in the last 5 year is over $5000

·
Avarollin?
1996 Avalon XLS
943 Posts
I Have a 1996 XLS that I got at 195K, now have 245K. so in 50K miles I've

Spark plugs & Wires

Fuel injectors (3)

EGR valve

Timing belt/water pump/cam seals/pulley belts

New FR control arm

New coils, springs, and mounts all around.

New trailing/lateral arms/what-ever-you-call-them-things in the rear.

Tires.

I bought the car for $2300.
Mechanical repairs to this date ran me around 2000-2500 (Almost half on the suspension!)
I've had the car for over 3 years, it was the first car I learned to drive in.

Its in nice shape! Engine is really nice, shame on me for not having the time to change my oil, but at 5000 miles in, on conventional oil, its still clean.

The car has only let me down once, with a clogged fuel injector I was out of a car for a couple days. (well still drivable, locally) Easy starts, even on some days where it has been a chilly negative 30 degrees outside, it still fires up! Abiet has to warm up for 15 minutes afterwards ;)

To me, it seems that maintenance is rather rare on the car, considering it does have 245,000 miles on it. Though, a lot of it has to do with that fabulous Illinois road salt!

·
Save The Manuals
1999 Avalon XLS
1,837 Posts
Well being the owner of a '99 XLS with just over 146,000 miles, I can tell you from experience they're incredible cars. Aside from maintenance, the only repair my Avalon needed was a new radiator at 145,000 due to 12 years of Florida heat. These cars have excellent power and mileage for their age, especially if they're well maintained.

I agree with pmesfun, the noisy suspension is a pretty common problem on these cars but isn't that big of a deal. If you do buy it, I'm sure you'll love it. :thumbsup:

·
Avarollin?
1996 Avalon XLS
943 Posts
I agree with pmesfun, the noisy suspension is a pretty common problem on these cars but isn't that big of a deal. If you do buy it, I'm sure you'll love it. :thumbsup:
Haha, check it out, in all of our "parts posts" we've all replaced, or plan to replace majoirt of our suspension components!

Yes, I tend to get 17-19 city, depending on the temperature (0F-110F, thanks Chicago!)
Highway I get 25-35 depending on speed! (extra go-go-go or being civil ;))
Normally I see 22MPG when I average it out at the gas station.

Still has great power on the highway, and the acceleration is pretty good too. Keep in mind it is quite the heavy car (4500lbs?) with only a 3.0 V6.

If you're in love with the car, and like what we have to say, then buy it! Or sit on the thought for a week and see how you feel, I suppose. Also, mind to share the color, possibly asking price? :D

·
Save The Manuals
1999 Avalon XLS
1,837 Posts
Haha, check it out, in all of our "parts posts" we've all replaced, or plan to replace majoirt of our suspension components!

Yes, I tend to get 17-19 city, depending on the temperature (0F-110F, thanks Chicago!)
Highway I get 25-35 depending on speed! (extra go-go-go or being civil ;))
Normally I see 22MPG when I average it out at the gas station.

Still has great power on the highway, and the acceleration is pretty good too. Keep in mind it is quite the heavy car (4500lbs?) with only a 3.0 V6.

If you're in love with the car, and like what we have to say, then buy it! Or sit on the thought for a week and see how you feel, I suppose. Also, mind to share the color, possibly asking price? :D
Mine will need replacing soon. All that was done on the suspension was strut mounts.

Nah, they're only 3,300 lbs. Lighter than '05 and up Mustangs :D

·
Avarollin?
1996 Avalon XLS
943 Posts
Mine will need replacing soon. All that was done on the suspension was strut mounts.

Nah, they're only 3,300 lbs. Lighter than '05 and up Mustangs :D
Oh, I think then in my figure I was adding the cargo capacity too, which is 900 or 1000, im not sure!

·
Registered
4,519 Posts
Any updates? Gas mileage is pretty good for a V6. My MPG right now is 23.6, and that consists of 90% city driving. Also btw, I got my best tank today, but with a consequence, I RAN OUT OF GAS:headbang::facepalm:.

I am planning on keeping the Avalon for another 6 or so years. I am 17 and a senior in HS so, it should last me a while. BTW, anyone else seem like their Avalon's brake system is pretty weak???

·
Save The Manuals
1999 Avalon XLS
1,837 Posts
Any updates? Gas mileage is pretty good for a V6. My MPG right now is 23.6, and that consists of 90% city driving. Also btw, I got my best tank today, but with a consequence, I RAN OUT OF GAS:headbang::facepalm:.

I am planning on keeping the Avalon for another 6 or so years. I am 17 and a senior in HS so, it should last me a while. BTW, anyone else seem like their Avalon's brake system is pretty weak???
Just out of curiosity, how many gallons did you fill up after running out? A full 18.5, or less? Because some people in Camry forums have noticed their tanks are smaller than what the manual says, so I wonder if Avalons are the same way.

Looks like we might be the youngest Avalon owners here :smokin: :chug:
Also, I don't think the brakes are weak, maybe it's just the pedal that feels spongy. Unfortunately with these soft suspensions, when you slam on the brakes, the car dips.. A LOT.

·
Registered
4,519 Posts
Just out of curiosity, how many gallons did you fill up after running out? A full 18.5, or less? Because some people in Camry forums have noticed their tanks are smaller than what the manual says, so I wonder if Avalons are the same way.

Looks like we might be the youngest Avalon owners here :smokin: :chug:
Also, I don't think the brakes are weak, maybe it's just the pedal that feels spongy. Unfortunately with these soft suspensions, when you slam on the brakes, the car dips.. A LOT.
I filled up about 18.2 gallons, yeah I noticed that thread. I usually fill up around 16-17, but this time the gauge was below E for a while, so it is possible that it actually holds 18.5. Now to the brake problem, the pedal is actually pretty firm, but the breaks are weakest when driving in the rain. We took it to Just Brakes and the said it could be an ABS problem. The pads and rotors being original could be a factor also.

Yeah man, are you a senior too?:thumbsup::smokin:

·
Save The Manuals
1999 Avalon XLS
1,837 Posts
I filled up about 18.2 gallons, yeah I noticed that thread. I usually fill up around 16-17, but this time the gauge was below E for a while, so it is possible that it actually holds 18.5. Now to the brake problem, the pedal is actually pretty firm, but the breaks are weakest when driving in the rain. We took it to Just Brakes and the said it could be an ABS problem. The pads and rotors being original could be a factor also.

Yeah man, are you a senior too?:thumbsup::smokin:
Nah, I'm 16 and a junior, but I'm doing an early college program at a local CC so I rarely hear of HS drama that goes on back at my school :lol:

I wonder if the OP made a decision yet..

·
Registered
4,519 Posts
Nah, I'm 16 and a junior, but I'm doing an early college program at a local CC so I rarely hear of HS drama that goes on back at my school :lol:

I wonder if the OP made a decision yet..
I was planning on doing a program like that ,but I missed the registration deadline.:headbang: That previous thread about oil sludge has me wondering about my Avalon. I drive less than a mile to school. Checked the oil level and it is still full after 3500 miles.

Hopefully he bought it, not that many Gen 1s on the forum

·
Avarollin?
1996 Avalon XLS
943 Posts
Hey man, I was a senior in highschool when i picked up my Avalon! :cool:

The most I've filled was indeed 18+ gallons. Call it good luck, "aww I should probably fill up" and as you make the turn into the gas station the engine stalls :D

But, would you ever use the whole 18.5 gallons? Likely never! My usual fillups go for 15-16 gallons. Its better to not run the pump with no fuel, as it would lack the lubrication and heat up even quicker because it does not have the thermal mass of the gasoline tank to sink it into.

Plus its always nice have enough gas to do a task that sparatically pops up!

I drive 2004-2009 Colorado/Tahoe/Silverados, and in comparison the brakes in the Avalon are far squishier! But I might be due for new rotors and brakes soon.

·
Registered
4,519 Posts

The most I've filled was indeed 18+ gallons. Call it good luck, "aww I should probably fill up" and as you make the turn into the gas station the engine stalls :D

But, would you ever use the whole 18.5 gallons? Likely never! My usual fillups go for 15-16 gallons. Its better to not run the pump with no fuel, as it would lack the lubrication and heat up even quicker because it does not have the thermal mass of the gasoline tank to sink it into.

I drive 2004-2009 Colorado/Tahoe/Silverados, and in comparison the brakes in the Avalon are far squishier! But I might be due for new rotors and brakes soon.
I was driving a 96 Plymouth Voyager, for the most part of junior year, first semester.:facepalm: Then I got the avalon, after the van started leaking every type of fluid possible, and the transmission gears were beyond messed up. It would work like this, P=PARK R=Park N=1st D= Drive, 2 and 1 were normal. Yes, I had no reverse.:ugh3:.

Now that I have the Avalon, I have spent about $400 fixing little things. I bought a Remote Starter that wont start the car, it is driving me nuts.:headbang:. Especially when the range of the factory remote is garbage. It would be nice to live around Jigg, don't want to pay $200 to CarToys.

Funny thing is, I was actually on the way to the gas station.:D It ran out of gas about three blocks from Kroger, lol. I have been having a new problem with the brakes, when I am stopped at the light, foot depressed on the brake pedal, A/C and everything. The brake seem like the let go for a split second and jerks forward about an inch. I sucked out the brake fluid, which is as old as the car:facepalm: and replaced it with Toyota Dot 3. It still jerks forward, but not as much.

·
Save The Manuals
1999 Avalon XLS
1,837 Posts

Yeah, I usually fill up with about 16-16.5 gallons.

I was driving a 96 Plymouth Voyager, for the most part of junior year, first semester.:facepalm: Then I got the avalon, after the van started leaking every type of fluid possible, and the transmission gears were beyond messed up. It would work like this, P=PARK R=Park N=1st D= Drive, 2 and 1 were normal. Yes, I had no reverse.:ugh3:.

Now that I have the Avalon, I have spent about $400 fixing little things. I bought a Remote Starter that wont start the car, it is driving me nuts.:headbang:. Especially when the range of the factory remote is garbage. It would be nice to live around Jigg, don't want to pay $200 to CarToys.
I remember the time my family and I went to Poland a few years ago and we rented a 97 Grand Caravan that was a huge POS. Here's how the transmission would work: Step on the gas, engine revs for about 2 seconds til it finally jerks into gear and lurches forward. It would randomly slip from time to time, and it overheated so badly that it warmed the cabin :lol:
At the end of the one month that we rented it, about 8 letters of the "Grand Caravan" badge fell off. :facepalm:
But hey, it was comfortable. :D

1 - 20 of 24 Posts