Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2004 highlander v6
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
sorry to ask this- my memory is that the 2004 highlanders used pure red coolant- someone who just changed a Camry's coolant on a 2012 has new pink Toyota brand 50/50 coolant left over.
can I use that in my 2004?
does toyota still use both?

·
Registered
Highlander(s)
672 Posts
Pink is where it's at. My dealer does not even sell red any more. They use pink in everything as it is backward compatible. A couple people here will give you dire warnings about why you should not use it, but I call BS. If pink was a problem why would the dealer risk causing more trouble to people, a possible class action suit and so on?

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
I may be wrong, but isn't pink just the same as red, but is already 50% diluted with distilled water? Apparently there were too many people who can't read the instructions about diluting the red, and/or used tap water instead of distilled water.

·
Registered
Highlander(s)
672 Posts
No. Red is labeled as long life coolant by Toy and pink is labeled as super long life. IIRC red is good for 100k and pink for 150k

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
No. Red is labeled as long life coolant by Toy and pink is labeled as super long life. IIRC red is good for 100k and pink for 150k
Ok, I understand the difference claimed for life of the fluid. But was the red concentrated (to be diluted by adding distilled water) and the pink already diluted 50-50?

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Ok, I understand the difference claimed for life of the fluid. But was the red concentrated (to be diluted by adding distilled water) and the pink already diluted 50-50?
After doing some research, I have verified that the red coolant is concentrated and needs to be diluted (typically 50-50) with water, and the pink is already diluted 50-50 with water. That explains the color difference.

As far as the pink being enhanced to last 150K miles instead of 100K miles for the red, I think that is BS marketing crap. Sort of like how oil changes are now 10K miles and ATF is now lifetime. Maybe the pink is better because they make sure and use distilled water to dilute it.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Red and Pink are two different technologies, but are fully compatible. Red is good for 2-3 years/24k-30k miles, and Pink is good for 5y/50k with only the factory fill supposedly good for 10y/100k(when not poisoned with other coolants, or topped off with tap/well waters). When Red&Pink are mixed, use the 'lesser' interval. Red is recommended for all metals...heater cores radiators, engine block/heads.... that might be iron/aluminum/copper/brass. Pink is typical for an all aluminum system(head block heater core and radiator).

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Red and Pink are two different technologies, but are fully compatible. Red is good for 2-3 years/24k-30k miles, and Pink is good for 5y/50k with only the factory fill supposedly good for 10y/100k(when not poisoned with other coolants, or topped off with tap/well waters). When Red&Pink are mixed, use the 'lesser' interval. Red is recommended for all metals...heater cores radiators, engine block/heads.... that might be iron/aluminum/copper/brass. Pink is typical for an all aluminum system(head block heater core and radiator).
According to the 2018 Highlander Warranty and Maintenance Guide, under "Replace coolant" it says:

"Initial replacement at 100,000 miles/120 months. Replace every 50,000 miles/60 months thereafter.

I still say the difference between red and pink is that pink is already diluted 50-50 with water, and red is concentrated and should be diluted with distilled water during installation. Most Asian car manufacturers have switched to pre-diluted coolant, from concentrated coolant, because auto repair technicians and the public can't follow directions correctly compared to the "old days."

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Well, you're wrong and there is more difference than it just being premixed.
I will admit that what you say is possible, but I doubt it. Sounds like auto repair folklore that gets passed from one person to another, even if the person who started it was BS'ing. When it comes to BS, not many industries can surpass the auto industry (sales and service).

·
Registered
339 Posts
The red is still red even when diluted, there is a purposeful distinction. I have an 04 and when I went to the dealer with my vin # they gave me the pink fluid.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
The red is still red even when diluted, there is a purposeful distinction. I have an 04 and when I went to the dealer with my vin # they gave me the pink fluid.
Technically, I believe your 2004 came with Toyota Red, but Pink is fine as long as you don't dilute it any further.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Just go to the dealer and read the bottle for the ingredients for the pink and red and see for yourself. Or, are you one of those snowflakes that cant believe the truth seen with their own eyes?
Here are ingredients (looking at jugs on the Internet):

Toyota Red (to be diluted 50-50 with water before use)
  • Ethylene Glycol
  • Dietyhlene Glycol
  • Proprietary inhibitors (corrosion inhibitors)
Toyota Pink (pre-diluted 50-50 with water)
  • Water (obviously 50%)
  • Ethylene Glycol
  • Dietyhlene Glycol
  • Sebacic Acid
  • Proprietary inhibitors (corrosion inhibitors)
So big f'ing deal, they added a little Sebacic Acid in the Pink as an additional corrosion inhibitor. I would not call that a "different technology," just a slight enhancement of the Red to make it last longer.

Here is a link that explains what Sebacic acid is used for in coolants:

The color of the antifreeze is probably added separately, and not the color of the actual active ingredients. I have a gallon of Hyundai OEM coolant, with almost the same active ingredients as Toyota Red or Pink, and it is blueish green color.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
I dont need an explanation.
Red OAT 2-year coolant
Ethylene Glycol(107-21-1),Diethylene Glycol(111-46-6) Water(7732-18-5) Orangic Acid Salt(532-32-1) Hydrated Inorganic Salt(1310-58-3).

Pink HOAT 5-year coolant
Water (7732-18-5), Ethylene Glycol (107-21-1), Diethylene Glycol (111-46-6), Sebacic Acid (111-20-6), Potassium Hydroxide (1310-58-3)

Compatible and NOT the same.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
I dont need an explanation.
Red OAT 2-year coolant
Ethylene Glycol(107-21-1),Diethylene Glycol(111-46-6) Water(7732-18-5) Orangic Acid Salt(532-32-1) Hydrated Inorganic Salt(1310-58-3).

Pink HOAT 5-year coolant
Water (7732-18-5), Ethylene Glycol (107-21-1), Diethylene Glycol (111-46-6), Sebacic Acid (111-20-6), Potassium Hydroxide (1310-58-3)

Compatible and NOT the same.
Hydrated Inorganic Salt (1310-58-3) and Potassium Hydroxide (1310-58-3) are the same thing. Note they have the same chemical id numbers.

So the only difference is that the Red has Organic Acid Salt and the Pink has Sebacic Acid (111-20-6) instead. Hardly a significant difference, and not what I would call "different technologies."

·
Registered
360 Posts
What throws mud in the water is when Peak came out with their Asian antifreeze it says on the bottle can be used to replace red or pink oem antifreeze. Just from a non chemical point use red where red is required, pink where pink is required, or if you don't want that hassle use Peak Asian which supposedly satisfys both.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
What throws mud in the water is when Peak came out with their Asian antifreeze it says on the bottle can be used to replace red or pink oem antifreeze. Just from a non chemical point use red where red is required, pink where pink is required, or if you don't want that hassle use Peak Asian which supposedly satisfys both.
The thing that makes "Asian" formula coolants different, is generally what they don't contain, as opposed to what they contain. For example, Asian coolants don't have silicates in them, because manufacturers believe that it shortens the life of the water pump, etc.

The main thing to remember when buying coolant for a Toyota (other than making sure it is compatible with Asian engines with no silicates, etc) is to understand that some are sold as concentrates and some are already diluted 50-50 with water. Manufacturers claim that the one already diluted 50-50 with water will last longer, but that is mainly because too many people were using tap water (instead of distilled water), and that includes auto technicians at a dealer or independent shop (and obviously consumers adding their own coolant). Depending on where one lives, tap water may have various levels of chemicals in it that can accelerate internal cooling system corrosion.

·
Registered
339 Posts
My 04 came with pink, I'm the first one to change it. Pink is for all aluminum systems, such as mine. When you mention they both have "proprietary corrosion inhibitors", you are assuming they are made up of the same chemicals.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts