Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
97CorollaDX
1997 Corolla DX
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife just informed me that someone/something busted a window on our 1997 Corolla this morning. She's in the process of getting quotes to repair it, but I'm trying to figure out how cheap I might be able to repair it myself. Its the driver side rear window, but not the one that rolls down, the small window.

Anybody have a recommendation for where to purchase that piece of glass, or is it better to have an expert replace it?

The weird thing is, nothing was taken from the car. We don't normally keep anything of value in the car except for the stereo and its still there.

·
Registered
1997 Corolla CE
160 Posts
It's called the vent glass, rear.
You can probably get one at a reasonable price from a local auto salvage.
I'm not sure how easy it is to replace it yourself, but if you can, you'll definitely save yourself some $$$ rather than having to possibly pay a deductible.

JT

·
97CorollaDX
1997 Corolla DX
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I tracked down a replacement piece off of Ebay, $30 +$12s/h =$42. I could definitely get one cheaper from a salvage yard, but my wife got a quote of $45 installed (glass included). Safelite wanted $165.
She's taking it to the place within the hour.

·
Saloon Fanatic
Mr2
705 Posts
The glass from the dealer is 30 cdn. I called the dealer and ordered it before putting a hammer through it. Locked myself out and was the simplest rather then paying 65-75 and waiting an hour for a locksmith/tow service.
Its actually referred to as the 1/4 glass.

·
Registered
82 Posts
A buddy of mine once locked his keys in the car and broke the vent window on his little car.. dang if he couldn't reach the door release after he did it so he ended up breaking the drivers window too.. And this guy is an engineer lol..

·
You asked for it...
392 Posts
ah,I remember the good old days, back when a vent window actually opened and vented!:sosad:

·
Registered
567 Posts
yeah this is one of the few things that will cost you less from the dealer than the salvage thieves:smokin:

I know cause I bought three after being jacked:thumbsdow

and if you know the program you can install it in 15 minutes. There is a screw under the insulation that throws you.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts