Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1990 Toyota Tercel
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 90 tercel 3E carbureted. It runs rich, and since purchasing it last june I have enjoyed playing Spy Hunter with the tailgate hugging drivers. Now I am up for the annual inspection and I know it won't pass emissions. I have taken it to a few different mechanics to diagnose the problem (I don't like others working on my cars), and they all said that it was because of the carburetor and refused to rebuild/replace it or offer much advice.
After rebuilding my 84 nissan carb, I am wary of investing the time on the nasty toyota one. I know Weber k751 kit should work, but will I pass inspection. Or should I rebuild the OEM one. Car has many miles (238000 mi) but runs strong even with the excess not getting burned.

Any suggestions.

·
Registered
1988 Corolla SR-5
3,042 Posts
I reccomend a Webber replacement, if available. I have rebuilt a few carbs, but have never done the Tercel carb. From what I have heard, they are quite a handfull. It is a good design, in principle, and when they work they are great, but when they don't ................

The webber is a simpler design and time proven for durability, ease of repair and adjustment.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts