Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Scrub
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I have a 4 cylinder gen 5, and need to change the automatic transmission fluid. I was wondering what brands you guys recommend. Thanks.

·
Pochacco Owns Me
3,123 Posts
i used chervon last time dexon2

·
I get angry when Im sober
1,858 Posts
shouldnt it be dexron 3 just like the brake fluid? i may be wrong, havent put any ATF in for a long time

·
Registered
48 Posts
It's DEXTRON 2 according to the Haynes manual. Of course, you can use DEXTRON 3 since it's compatible. That's all I can find these days at the parts store.

Brake fluid is DOT3. Try not to get them mixed up. ;)

·
Whine Connoisseur
6,573 Posts
hold on! The V6 Gen 5 calls for DexIV. I'm not sure about the I4 though. Check your owners manual.

As for brand, since your car is new, have it serviced at the dealer. I would normally suggest switching to a synthetic such as Redline or Amsoil but you can't without comprimising your warranty.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Good call, Phi! I should qualify my comments and state that my info above is for a gen3 camry. I completely missed that you said you had a gen5. *sigh* :hammer:

·
Banned
4,345 Posts
Valvoline was put in mine when I changed it last week. I'll flush that out with Amsoil's ATF when I get the tranny beefed up for the turbo.

I would stick with Amsoil, or Redline.

·
Pochacco Owns Me
3,123 Posts
you mistaken dexon (ATF) with dot(brake) fluids

·
Banned
4,345 Posts
zoni what atobe is saying is that Stealth was confused in that ATF and brake fluid are not the same.

Ask Xevuhtess about it. Some idiot tech put power steering fluid in his brake fluid lines. Yipes!

·
The Asian Sensation
1996 Lexus SC300
904 Posts
Toysrme said:
zoni what atobe is saying is that Stealth was confused in that ATF and brake fluid are not the same.

Ask Xevuhtess about it. Some idiot tech put power steering fluid in his brake fluid lines. Yipes!
what?..... when did i say that happened to my car? i sure hope that hasn't happened to my car..... i think you're confusing me with someoen else :confused:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts