Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
98' LGT
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently became the owner of a 96' 4banger, 5spd 4door. I went from a 400hp V8 truck to this thing, and I really hate how wussy this thing is. Waht can i do to give it more pep. I don't want to rice this thing out, but I do want a car that I don't hate to drive. All suggestions are welcome. -Thanks

·
Registered
98' LGT
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was thinking of building a differnt engine, aka one with less than 160k, but I don't really know how to go about it...plus I'm building a 76' Dodge 4x4 right now, so most the money goes to that...

·
Zzzz
Camry
2,255 Posts
if you hate your camry and are focusing on your truck, use your camry for transportation and deal with it.

it may not be what you're looking to hear, but if you don't like it, then why spend money on it?

·
Registered
98' LGT
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't really hate it. 90% of the time it's great. There is just those times when it needs more oomf, and that is what I want to solve.

·
Zzzz
Camry
2,255 Posts
Grayguy said:
I don't really hate it. 90% of the time it's great. There is just those times when it needs more oomf, and that is what I want to solve.
if you want to spend money, you could swap in a 1MZFE fairly easily and an e153 5spd tranny, which should produce some nice power.

If you want to stick with your 5sfe, you could go with the Rippmods supercharger kit or go with the burien turbo kit or even wait for the shiftgate performance turbo kit to come out.

all of the above are very good options for making a camry fast, if you're looking for some marginal gains, you can do a search of the forum to find out how to do things like make a CAI for your camry, you could do a custom catback exhaust.

I would say you should go through the basics first though, try checking how dirty your air filter is, if it needs replacing, you could find a bit of power out of that. if your car's not very responsive, try some new plugs and plug wires, denso or ngk will work perfectly, stay away from bosch.

just remember though, you get what you pay for. if you want to get a huge increase in performance, you're going to spend some $$ on it.

·
Auto-Cross Addict
3,837 Posts
CamNub said:
Build your engine up. Then go turbo. :thumbup:
^
Seriously dude, start giving useful information or don't post at all. "Build an engine an turbo" just points out the obvious. It doesn't tell him what his options are.

Anyways, it depends on how much you are willing to spend, and how much time you have to do the work. PM me, tell me what your looking for/to do and I'll get you on your way. Parts, and anything else you need :)

·
Registered
86 Posts
3S-GTE!! :lol: That's what I'd love to do - especially if I could graduate from UTI & do everything myself - clean up an MR2's 3S-GTE, swap it in, swap in a 5 speed, y'know ... that kind of stuff. Mega money, though, but hey, I'm an ndn & I get tribal percap, so if I save up that & work at a stealership or something it's not an issue. & then when I have my MR2 engine swapped into my Camry, then I'll keep my 5S-FE in my garage & work on that. I'll really be cutting my teeth by then ...
*sigh* ... yeh ... it's what dreams are made of sometimes ...

But yeh, man - what CrawlingEye said - http://www.poweredbytoyota.com/ - Burien Turbo Kit &
http://www.rippmods.com/products/products_list.asp?menuid=3&vehcId=18 - Ripp Mods supercharger kit

Both good places to start & good ideas to think about

·
Registered
98' LGT
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I know I can't afford a turbo/supercharger. I know that computer chips are good, but I don't even know if my car has that crap. I have always worked on older V8s before, never any import stuff, I guess I have a lot to learn about these things.

2005 Tacoma X-Runner
9,188 Posts
Don't even think about those performance chips for the camry. Doesn't do anything but trouble.

·
Sweet n' Lowdown
2006 Scion tC
16,189 Posts
UfoZ8myCow said:
First thing you should do is do a search. No shit a turbo and built engine will make any car faster. There is a Camry FAQ on the first page and about 1000000 threads about turbo and superchargers for Camrys. Im getting tired of the same redundant posts guys...
I gotta agree with that... please do a little research.
You're not gonna be able to build a Camry cheaply.
Its all custom thus far and what isn't is due to the dedication of a handful of TN members.

·
Registered
98' LGT
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
hmm...I was hoping there would be a not-to-expensive route, but I guess I'll be stuck with the stockness for a while...oh well

1 - 13 of 13 Posts