Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 1991 toyota celica gt with a 2.2 l engine and i am having a hard time finding performance what can i do

·
engineer in training
1,586 Posts
First off what part of MS you from? I have lots of family in Biloxi, and welcome to TN :)

If you are looking to put say $500 and get any decent power out of your Celica I hate to tell you but it isn't happening unless you spray it, then its just happening for a few seconds. The most common mods are full exhaust and a cai, even with those and a tune its still going to be slow. The 2.2 was not designed to be a performance engine and it got crap cams and a crap tune form Toyota, but its reliable and efficient.

If you want some decent power from the 5sfe, you will need (this is all my opinion but I stand by it):

Head work, Cams, exhaust wont matter just remove the resonator, any intake, short ram, CAI I don't care it wont matter, and some way to tune that isn't an SAFC, like an e-manage with ignition harness and a knock sensor (don't remember if yours come with a knock sensor or not)

now this will get you a little more power and cost around $1500 if you spend some time looking for some good deals online. I cant say how much power but it wont even be near 200.

If you want some power, save your money and keep the Celica a daily driver and buy a Trans-AM (bone stock WS6 can run 13s int he 1.4), maybe even a GTP like mine (runs mid 13s in the 1/4 with less than $3k in mods)

Just gotta realise even if you put $2k into the 2.2 it really wont be worth it.

·
459 Posts
Luckynumber5 said:
Just gotta realise even if you put $2k into the 2.2 it really wont be worth it.
^^^^^What LuckyNumber said ^^^^^ Oh, and hey- LuckyNumber....greetings from Maryville, TN :cool:

·
1990 Corolla GTS 4A-GE
1990 Corolla GTS
458 Posts
Well for $1500 I can turbo my engine. You can get a whole turbo kit for that much. But yeah Im trying to figure out ways I can make my Celica faster too. I got a 92 Celica ST with the 1.6L 4AFE engine and honestly dont know much of what I can do to it other then headers, exhaust, and I already made my own Short ram intake, real easy and sounds a lot louder in the engine bay. Im thinkin of just fixin the front bumper and windshield and seeing if I can get $2000 out of the car. Not sure.

·
engineer in training
1,586 Posts
If you are talking about the turbo kits that are sold for $1500 they will not give any good gains. For one they dont come with any more engine management than an adjustable fuel pressure regulator. They give you no way to control what the ecu is adjusting (timing, injector pw, ect ect) and because of that you will end up running really low boost with low timing and does not equal power.

The $1500 kit would be nice, with something like an e-manage with injector harness and ignition harness, then some injectors, then you need to get the kit installed and the whole thing tuned. Then when all is said and done, your clutch will say omg, I don't like turbos, and leave with your girlfriend who at this point is probably sick of waiting for you to get your damn car running, then the landlord ups the rent... in the end it doesn't cost $1500 for any decent amount of power for the 4afe.

Edit: jokes aside this is the setup I have planned out for my 93 automatic STX:
IPT upgraded valve body and 3400rpm stall converter
IHI rhb52w turbocharger from a 2.3l ford thunderbird turbo (upgrade later)
440cc Supra injectors re manned from www.witchhunter.com (bigger later)
adjustable RR fuel pressure regulator with 1:1 ratio
johnnyracecar intercooler w/ 2 inch custom pipe
generic ebay 4afe turbo manifold
custom 2.5 inch DP with 2.5 exhaust
forged pistons and rods w/ full engine rebuild
p&p head
medium cam (haven't decided yet)
very big transmission cooler
havent decided on engine management yet but may consider standealone (megasquirt)
Water injection when up and running for high boost fun :)

When all is said and done Im only looking to make a reliable 280 horsepower through the automatic transmission, Its gonna be an awd killer :lol:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts