Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys!

I'm new here, and maybe a little out of place. I'm not really an "enthusiast", just a guy trying to make his car a little more drivable.

I'm driving an 86 Carmy that was handed down to me from my Dad shortly before he passed away. It's a good little car - in solid shape inside and out with under 90k miles when I got it last year (120k now) - but it's seriously under-powered. I'm not building a street racer here. I'd just like to make the car a little safer when merging onto the freeway.

I've done a little car work, but don't have the time or skill for serious mods like an engine swap. If it's not an afternoon's worth of work, I'll have to pay a mechanic to do the work. I've done some basic tuneup stuff - plugs,wires, cap&rotor, filters, that kind of stuff. That helped it start a little better, but didn't noticably help performance. I need to check compression, but I suspect that it could benefit from a rebuild.

So my first question(s) is: Is there a relatively inexpensive way to get this engine up to 90-100hp? Should I spend cash on a rebuild, or go a different route?

Here's the second part of the puzzle. A friend of mine has a 96 Camry with a V6. He bought a new car and would give me the Camry if I asked for it. The easy solution is just to get rid of the 86 and drive the 96, but the 86 has strong sentimental value because it was Dad's.

So here's the second question(s): Can the V-6 be shoehorned into the gen1 86? What should I expect a mechanic to charge to do that work?

Thanks for your time!

·
Registered
20 Posts
A v6 in a gen1.. that would rock, but i dont think it would be possible. Isnt the gen1 way too small? (others will know im sure...)

·
Registered
98 Posts
It could work, if you are willing to spend the clock and coin. It would require a lot of work: custom mounts, axles, tranny, exhaust system, likely need different front suspention to support the much heavier V6. But a 1mz-fe(i thinks) in such a light car would be crazy quick and surprise anyone.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The V-6 is probably a poor idea. I only mentioned it because I could lay my hands on one for free.

Some internet prowling has me thinking that my current engine is a 2s-e. Is that correct? Is there another s-block that would be a drop-in replacement?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I also have an '86 camry that was passed down to me from my dad-

After seeing this i'm wondering if it would be possible to use a 2.5 V6 from a second generation camry (assuming I could find one with a 5-speed). If I4 second generation camrys have s-series engines, would the motor mounts on the 2.5 work in a second generation 4 cylinder car, and, if so, would the mounts be the same in a first generation car?

I think it would be really cool to try to put a 2.5 in my car, but I'm having a hard time finding information on this.

·
Banned
2006 Lincoln Zephyr
1,290 Posts
Would be cool but ultimately pretty pointless. A 3sge engine would be alot more feasible. Not to mention lighter, and a more performance based engine. And the later version of the 3sfe are more powerful than the V6 anyway. I am not sure if it will directly mount up though.

·
Registered
2 Posts
What car would I find a 3sge in, in the junkyard- particularly the later, more powerfull version?

I'm assuming it would be in camrys/celicas, but what years would I find the powerfull version in, and how much power?

It still would be cool to but the v6 in, if only for shock value

1 - 7 of 7 Posts