Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1999 Camry
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hey guys,

i've been bottoming out my car everyday (going over shitty road at like 45mph). my oil pan and oil pan gasket is still good. no leaks. however the subframe is all scratched up and i blew my front engine mount bottoming out.

my question is, besides damaging the oil pan, oil pan gasket, engine mounts, are there any other more serious thing that i might damage from bottoming out ? will my subframe bend ? will my FRAME bend ?

thanks guys,
d

·
Registered
68 Posts
First, I'd look for a better route, but I understand that's not always possible.
You'll have to work hard to bend the frame. I doubt you will do that. You'd notice the doors not opening and closing as nicely if that's happening.
It's possible is damage to the shock/strut mounting points on the body and control arms if we're talking about pot holes. The shocks are going to wear out sooner than normal if we're talking about potholes or (the other way to bottom out) a wavy country road that tosses the car around.

·
V8'sRGone
95 Cam
1,956 Posts
Plus your CD player skips! :thumbsdow lol

Same road, any thoughts on slowing down? :facepalm:

·
RU2CHKN?
94 Camry LE
611 Posts
your alignment would be out of whack as well

·
Registered
5,344 Posts
Slow down and try to avoid them.

Or if you're bottoming out because you're lowered, then go really fucking slow.

·
Registered
1999 Camry
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
lol thanks for all your input

no they're not the same roads. and its usually just wavy roads and when i see it im like oh shit and i dont wanna slam on the brakes and get rear ended so i end up taking it >.<

i just wanted to get an idea of what can go wrong but as long as nothing real serious breaks then i won't worry so much. (subrame or frame bending).

i'll be more careful tho =]

·
V8'sRGone
95 Cam
1,956 Posts
continuous bottoming will turn your ride into a rattle trap. Stuff in the dash, console, under the hood and suspension will develop sounds which didn't sound before.
- suspension bottoming blows out shock seals, cracks springs, bends rims, blows out tires, destroys the rubber isolating the suspension from the body, which as pointed out leads to alignment issues, tire wear.
- sub-frame, unibody hitting, cracks welds, loosens spot welds, cracks the fragile radiator, grinds off bolt heads around the nose rounds and shears off bolts so stuff falls off and gets ran over.
- engine bottoming, look for broken exhaust welds, heat shield rattles, oil leaks, shift linkage issues. Worst case you crack aluminum, tear holes in the oil pan.

* A car thats never stump jumped, bottomed, ect will be quiet inside for years.
* A car that routinely flies over bumps, holes, off curbs, will be rattle trap way faster.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts