Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
For me I started working on two cars (which had a lot of problems) a 1992 Toyota Celica GT coupe. I bought it when it literally looked like a junk car and I built it decently well for a 17 year old. Another car which would constantly have issues upon issues was a 1993 Ford Taurus 3.8. It had random overheating issues (even though there was no headgasket problems) and virtually every replacable part broke! From the power steering pump to the radiator nothing lasted on this car but the timing chain... and the chain was a bit noisy too lol. And our old Taurus was kinda cool too... my dad bought a SHO spoiler on half off day at the junkyard and put it on.

Feel free to post pics! And sorry I know there has to be a certain Forum for this chat but I can't find it lol

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
Mostly old Mopar Muscle Cars.
My first car was a 68 Charger.2nd was a 69 1/2 A12 (lift off hood)440 6 bbl. 4-speed Roadrunner.
Loots and lots of muscle cars over the years since from all the big 3.
Been wrenching for a living since about 1980 so these days I don't really want to pick up a wrench anymore.That being said I'm probably going to have to tear into the timing belt and waterpump on the Highlander I just bought.

·
Slow AF
2012 Matrix
268 Posts
All my Vehicles I've learn to work on.
It all started with basic stuff on my 1989 Camry SLE and 1991 GMC safari.
I got way more into the engine stuff with my 98 Dakota and then went crazy with my 2003 Altima sl.
Now with my 2012 matrix.. it runs perfect and I dont really have any desire to modify it like my altima and dakota
. .

·
Registered
4 Posts
First car i learned how to wrench on

It was actually a 2.4l chevy cobalt ss sedan automatic, lol. it was a complete beater and i ended up getting rid of it for my corolla s that i have now. still having trouble finding performance parts for this vehicle though, but the asthetic is coming along slowly but nicely>:D

·
Registered
33 Posts
1971 Triumph TR6. Still own the thing too, but it’s been off the road for longer than I’d like to admit. Drove it all through high school...pulled the motor and transmission out of it 2-3 times, replaced the distributor, carbs, brakes, clutch, transmission, rear shocks, exhaust system and did a lot of electrical work on it (Lucas Electrical really is the prince of darkness.)

I used to brag (jokingly) that it only caught on fire twice on me...

·
Premium Member
14,646 Posts
1971 Triumph TR6. Still own the thing too, but it’s been off the road for longer than I’d like to admit. Drove it all through high school...pulled the motor and transmission out of it 2-3 times, replaced the distributor, carbs, brakes, clutch, transmission, rear shocks, exhaust system and did a lot of electrical work on it (Lucas Electrical really is the prince of darkness.)

I used to brag (jokingly) that it only caught on fire twice on me...
Good lord man, we had one of those in the shop and we COULD NOT put it on a lift, the body was bending in half! I could bounce the rear of the car up and down and the body to door gap would widen and shrink dramatically. The bottom on the car was clean and rust free, it's just how it's built I guess...the body twists to help the suspension work? :surprise:

·
2014 VW Passat Tsi SEL
1,082 Posts
1965 Galaxie 500, 1971 Chevrolet Impala and 1972 Chevy truck. Those were our 3 family cars and my father taught me how to keep them in top shape at an early age.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Good lord man, we had one of those in the shop and we COULD NOT put it on a lift, the body was bending in half! I could bounce the rear of the car up and down and the body to door gap would widen and shrink dramatically. The bottom on the car was clean and rust free, it's just how it's built I guess...the body twists to help the suspension work? :surprise:
Now that you mention it I can remember not being able to open the doors if I jacked it up from the front or rear. :grin: Good ‘ol English steel & engineering!

It’s a heap of poor execution, but so much fun to drive. It pulled like a freight train in second gear, shook the windows in the house when I’d warm it up in the mornings and (mind you, this was high school) could fit myself and five varsity volleyball players with the top down.>:D Back then I didn’t need much more than that.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts