Toyota Nation Forum banner

What color looks best for 2020 HL in your opinion?

• Midnight Black Metallic

Votes: 7 6.2%
  • Celestial Silver Metallic

Votes: 12 10.6%
  • Blizzard Pearl

Votes: 37 32.7%
  • Opulent Amber

Votes: 3 2.7%
  • Ruby Flared Pearl

Votes: 16 14.2%
  • Moondust

Votes: 19 16.8%
  • Blueprint

Votes: 10 8.8%
  • Magnetic grey

Votes: 9 8.0%

• Total voters
61 - 78 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Where do some dealers come up with these names ? I don't believe I've seen Macadamia for an interior color on the line up. Sounds kind of nice LOL whoops, it is a Camry interior color ....sorry. This was listed under the Highlander, and thought I might be missing something new :)
  • Exterior Color: Midnight Black Metallic
  • City MPG: 21
  • Interior Color: Macadamia

·
Registered
2020 Highlander Limited, Moondust / Graphite, RAV4
444 Posts
Where do some dealers come up with these names ? I don't believe I've seen Macadamia for an interior color on the line up. Sounds kind of nice LOL whoops, it is a Camry interior color ....sorry. This was listed under the Highlander, and thought I might be missing something new :)
  • Exterior Color: Midnight Black Metallic
  • City MPG: 21
  • Interior Color: Macadamia
What part of the country are you in? Macadamia isn't showing up as an option thatI can see for a 2020 HL

·
Registered
101 Posts
What part of the country are you in? Macadamia isn't showing up as an option thatI can see for a 2020 HL
Correct...as I stated in my post , it is for the Camry....sorry. The dealer made a mistake and had it under the Highlander.

·
Registered
20 Ruby Platinum HL, 19 Lexus UX200, 17 Yaris iA
239 Posts
I always buy white. We have 4 white cars. All I was stuck on was white on the outside. Simple. I went to the stealer to look at a white one with Harvest inside. It was supposed to be there......it wasn't but.....but....

The Ruby really does Flare in the sunlight. I was attracted and my wife really liked it. It was the logical choice since I have been waiting for a 2020 for 6 months..... and it was Harvest inside. Had to have it. I have NEVER made such a swift change in my life!

I like the red!

·
Registered
101 Posts
I always buy white. We have 4 white cars. All I was stuck on was white on the outside. Simple. I went to the stealer to look at a white one with Harvest inside. It was supposed to be there......it wasn't but.....but....

The Ruby really does Flare in the sunlight. I was attracted and my wife really liked it. It was the logical choice since I have been waiting for a 2020 for 6 months..... and it was Harvest inside. Had to have it. I have NEVER made such a swift change in my life!

I like the red!
I saw one on the lot this past weekend ! Very sharp color !! Congrats on your new ride...enjoy !

·
Registered
982 Posts
I got to see what the Ruby Flare Pearl looked like at my nearby Toyota dealer. Not on the highlander but the Rav4. It is not as bright a red as I had imagined from watching videos and a few photos. The day was cloudy with occasional faded sun behind clouds. It had a nice kick of red in it even under the mostly cloudy conditions but certainly not a fire engine red. I do like it. Of course I compared it to my current HL which is Ooh la la (Moulin Rouge according to MY sticker). Whereas my vehicle takes on a darker burgundy (somewhat purple) look in lower light or cloudy days the Ruby definately has that red edge to it by comparison. It is satisfying enough for me (a true red lover)?

·
Registered
101 Posts
I got to see what the Ruby Flare Pearl looked like at my nearby Toyota dealer. Not on the highlander but the Rav4. It is not as bright a red as I had imagined from watching videos and a few photos. The day was cloudy with occasional faded sun behind clouds. It had a nice kick of red in it even under the mostly cloudy conditions but certainly not a fire engine red. I do like it. Of course I compared it to my current HL which is Ooh la la (Moulin Rouge according to MY sticker). Whereas my vehicle takes on a darker burgundy (somewhat purple) look in lower light or cloudy days the Ruby definately has that red edge to it by comparison. It is satisfying enough for me (a true red lover)?
I saw one on the lot yesterday in Ruby Red. It is a beautiful color, and I think it's the color for me. The sun was shinning right on it, and it was very bright red in the sun. I've never had a red car, so I think it might be fun ! It had black interior though, which I'm not a fan. I want gray or beige.

·
Registered
605 Posts
I was looking at a 2020 Toyota brochure that lists all the colors available for all the models and discovered that Moon Dust is the only color that is exclusive to the Highlander. All the other Highlander colors can be found in other models like the RAV4, Avalon, Camry.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I'm not paying extra for a color. Not on a Toyota. Maybe on a $100k luxury brand if my favorite color did indeed cost more. In 2013, Blizzard Pearl was $210. Then it was $395. For 2020, it's $425 and three colors carry that price. Blueprint rules!

·
Registered
605 Posts
I'm not paying extra for a color. Not on a Toyota. Maybe on a $100k luxury brand if my favorite color did indeed cost more. In 2013, Blizzard Pearl was $210. Then it was $395. For 2020, it's $425 and three colors carry that price. Blueprint rules!
Although not scientific the poll at the top of this thread has the three extra cost colors as the most popular choices - Toyota marketing must know what they're doing. If you noticed during the initial introduction and early press releases the colors they most often used were Moon Dust and Ruby Flared Pearl - perhaps using the power of suggestion to predispose people to desiring the extra cost colors - it worked on me. White is always a popular choice.

Also when you're buying a $40,000 to $50,000 Highlander the $425 extra is only around 1% of the cost so you might as well pick something you want. Not very frugal but if you can get a discount off the MSRP then the $425 gets discounted as part of the deal as well.

·
Premium Member
2,211 Posts
The pearl white colors have been extra cost for Toyota for several years, as mentioned. I've read it's because the process is different enough to cost extra time/money, as it's very difficult to keep a white color from turning yellowish over time. As for Ruby Flare, you have to see it in person on a sunny day to appreciate it. It's not your average paint color - there's a lot of metallic flake in it.

Is the entire extra cost justified? I don't know, but there is more to it than a conspiracy to charge more for what they expect to possibly be popular colors. If it was based on popularity alone, the three most expensive colors would be white, black, and silver.

In my opinion, it's a very fine line for a red color, and Ruby Flare is a red that I think looks good on the car. I never did like Ooh La La Rouge, and a brighter red might look great on a sportier car but not Highlander.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Although not scientific the poll at the top of this thread has the three extra cost colors as the most popular choices - Toyota marketing must know what they're doing. If you noticed during the initial introduction and early press releases the colors they most often used were Moon Dust and Ruby Flared Pearl - perhaps using the power of suggestion to predispose people to desiring the extra cost colors - it worked on me. White is always a popular choice.

Also when you're buying a $40,000 to $50,000 Highlander the $425 extra is only around 1% of the cost so you might as well pick something you want. Not very frugal but if you can get a discount off the MSRP then the $425 gets discounted as part of the deal as well.
I got so very sick of only seeing a Ruby Flare Platinum and a Moon Dust Platinum for months and months, and nothing else. I wanted anything but those colors. I didn't even know what the wheels or the interior on the other trim levels were going to look like until just days before they became available for purchase. I saw a Blueprint RAV4 and decided that's the color I had to have on my next Toyota. Blizzard Pearl is probably my fave, but I already drive an ES which is the same and didn't carry the price premium for the color. Yes, it's only 1% of the cost, but it's still annoying. Could be worse though (GMC/Cadillac, $995).

·
Registered
605 Posts
Found an interesting fact - well maybe not really that interesting - that the Moon Dust color is also called Precious Galena in other markets - same Toyota paint code of 1K5. Also Blueprint goes by Dark Blue Mica/Pearl with the code 8X8 and Opulent Amber Metallic goes by Blackish Brown Metallic with code 4X9. Rest of he colors seem to stay the same in other markets.

Here's a listing for a 2020 Highlander in Precious Galena from Puerto Rico:

2020 Toyota Highlander Limited FWD SUV for Sale San Juan, PR - $49,995 - Motorcar.com

These color can show up in the US when ordering certain body parts so they must be Toyota Global codes with the specific names just for the US:

color codes body.jpg

·
straight cash homie
20,176 Posts
Thanks for pointing out that Moon Dust is an existing color in the Toyota palette. I googled it and the other vehicle that I found that uses it is the JDM Crown, though I can't find a picture of it in the color. Definitely, the colors exist in all parts of the Toyota realm under different names with the same paint code.

·
Registered
605 Posts
61 - 78 of 78 Posts