Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1996 Tacoma 4X4
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello, I'm a Toyota truck guy but it looks like I will have to do a lot of traveling this summer so I'm considering getting a car. Anyways Toyota is the only way I really want to go and I was thinking of getting a mid to late 90's Corolla. I'm just wondering which engine/trans combo would have the best milage, and what milage could I expect to get? Also I was wondering if there are any years/models/engines/trans to avoid. Thanks.

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
2,727 Posts
1.6L from 93-97...slow, but it's a gas-sipper.

·
The Return of the Red Coupe
2010 RAV4 V6
19,669 Posts
providing he gets one with a 5spd, yeah it will otherwise I think the 3spd automatic might sip a little more gas.

You can always get a 90-92 Corolla Sedan or an SR5 coupe, same motor, misers on gas and good cars. I would suggest a Corolla GTS but hey, I own two and I know they don't sip on gas. :D

·
Registered
1996 Tacoma 4X4
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thats the info I'm looking for. Does anyone have any exact number on milage? Also what is the size of the stock speakers. I swaped out the stock ones in my Tacoma and the head unit as well and made a world of difference in the sound quality. If I'm going to spend a lot of time in the vehicle I figure I show have a good sound system.

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
2,727 Posts
cheesycoolguy said:
Thats the info I'm looking for. Does anyone have any exact number on milage? Also what is the size of the stock speakers. I swaped out the stock ones in my Tacoma and the head unit as well and made a world of difference in the sound quality. If I'm going to spend a lot of time in the vehicle I figure I show have a good sound system.
you'll never get an exact number on the mileage, because it varies for every driver. your driving style might be different from someone else's, and as a result you might get better or worse fuel economy. regardless, that particular motor is the best i've seen thus far when fuel economy is considered.

i would advise against an AE92 SR5 unless you only need 2 doors.

·
Registered
1996 Tacoma 4X4
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I understand that milage is determined by many variables. I was looking for exact numbers of what individual people were getting, as opposed to terms like good, decent and gas sipper. That website confimed what a co-worker of mine was saying he was getting, I was just looking for a few more numbers so I can see what the ballpark is.

·
2010 RAV4 V6
19,669 Posts
epyon22 said:
idk what your talking about ren i get like 28 mpg all the time. but yeah your best bet on best mpg would be the 4 door models with the 5 spd
My 89 GTS was a bit of a miser, my 90 GTS seems to sip the gas like it's fine wine.. oh wait, it is fine wine.. smallports need high octane gas. :)

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
2,727 Posts
when i had my 1.6L '95, i was averaging 40MPG on the highway...it was an auto 4spd, and usually had a full trunk. i don't remember what my average mileage was in stop-and-go traffic because i rarely drove in any sort of traffic.

·
Registered
778 Posts
On my 89 Corolla GTS with the original engine/tranny I would get about 27-28 mpg in town and about 35 on the highway. I dropped in a 20vST and I get about 24 in town and 28-29 on the highway as long as I keep it under 80.

·
2010 RAV4 V6
19,669 Posts
falnfenix said:
when i had my 1.6L '95, i was averaging 40MPG on the highway...it was an auto 4spd, and usually had a full trunk. i don't remember what my average mileage was in stop-and-go traffic because i rarely drove in any sort of traffic.
I believe the 1.6L 4AFE only came with the 3spd auto, the 1.8L 7AFE's came with the 4spd auto, so your car probably was a 1.8L.

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
2,727 Posts
REN69 said:
I believe the 1.6L 4AFE only came with the 3spd auto, the 1.8L 7AFE's came with the 4spd auto, so your car probably was a 1.8L.
mine must have been a factory freak, then, because it had a 4spd auto and it was a 1.6L

·
Registered
48 Posts
falnfenix said:
mine must have been a factory freak, then, because it had a 4spd auto and it was a 1.6L
I heard somewhere that the transmission shifts into an "overdrive" mode while in 3rd gear, or something along those lines at about 40. So if you were going solely by when you felt it shift, you may have thought that shift in 3rd gear was a shift into another gear.

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
2,727 Posts
DarkNinja75 said:
I heard somewhere that the transmission shifts into an "overdrive" mode while in 3rd gear, or something along those lines at about 40. So if you were going solely by when you felt it shift, you may have thought that shift in 3rd gear was a shift into another gear.
no, it was a 4-speed automatic. i knew that car inside and out...i'd practically taken apart the damned thing more than once. we DID NOT buy it new, but i remember vividly that the sticker on the window said 1.6L 4spd auto. if i still HAD the car, or the title, or the sticker, i'd prove it...but i don't, as the car was destroyed in 2003 and the paperwork was promptly destroyed after i left the hospital.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I have a '95 Prizm w/ the 1.6L and 3spd auto and I typically get 22-23mpg around town all year long. (A/C not only doesn't affect it, but I swear, sometimes IMPROVES it).

I've only ever taken one all-freeway trip and it gave me something like 29.9mpg, but that was with the whole family in the car as well as luggage and kickin' that thing in the pants doin' about 80mph the whole time.

I do itch for something new, but this car paid for itself (I bought it for $2K a year and a half ago) already, so I'm basically driving for free. :cool:

·
TIEyota fighter ace
AE101, TE72
1,942 Posts
'96 1.8 auto, 25-28 around city, ~30 in winter highway driving (of course, I cruise at 70+ through hilly terrain) and ~32-36 summer highway driving.

Concurred that a 1.6 five-speed is probably going to return the best mileage, but as you're used to a truck, the "acceleration" (relatively speaking) may be a bit lacking.

A 98-02 may be a better bet for power and mileage, actually.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts