Toyota Nation Forum banner

14921 - 14940 of 14979 Posts

·
Diehard Rams Fan
20,242 Posts
I've been working on my headlights since I had a older CFL halo burn out. They were covered under warranty but I decided to upgrade them to newer RGB LED halos that are Bluetooth controlled. While I had them open I also decided to change the shrouds from chrome Apollo 2.0 shrouds to black Apollo 2.0 shrouds. I also found out that one of my HID bulbs was damaged even though it still worked so I ordered a new pair this morning. I still have the 2nd headlight to trim the new shroud so I'll have them ready to go in a few days when the new HID bulbs arrive. :smile:

Here is what the old chrome shrouds looked like.

After the shroud was removed.

Chrome compared to black Apollo shroud.

Here is the black shroud after being trimmed to fit and the new RGB halo installed. With the smoked design of the S/XRS headlamps these should look amazing!

·
Diehard Rams Fan
20,242 Posts
why use a shroud at all? why not run the CFL halo without a shroud? thats just my preference. the shroud does give the halo a more unique pattern, if that's what your're going for. :) Nice work btw, if i had time I'd mod my headlight a little as well.
It would look unfinished and you would see the side of the projector. You also wouldn't have a place to mount the halo without the shroud. I'll try to take some pics to show you tomorrow.

·
Diehard Rams Fan
20,242 Posts
Bought this 2012 CE Enhanced with 125,000 kms a couple of weeks ago to replace my 1990 Camry.

Drove 1200 kms since then. Replaced the original drive belt + cabin filter, drained and filled the tranny 4 times, fixed a rattling exhaust heat shield. Yesterday the horn died, replaced it today during lunch break. Not a bad little car, good on gas, looks easy to work on. I like it.
My sister-in-law just bought a 2013 Corolla LE with 75k miles. I want to do some quick AT fluid changes for her in a short time since she doesn't know if it's ever been changed. I've never messed with an AT Corolla. Any tips? is it just a drain plug like my 5MT? Where is the fill plug?

·
chrome won't get you home
2,496 Posts
My sister-in-law just bought a 2013 Corolla LE with 75k miles. I want to do some quick AT fluid changes for her in a short time since she doesn't know if it's ever been changed. I've never messed with an AT Corolla. Any tips? is it just a drain plug like my 5MT? Where is the fill plug?

The pan has a drain plug. No fill plug it fills through the dispstick, you'll need a thin funnel.

ATF expands with heat so I like to wait for the car to cool down, that way I can easily put back the same amount that I drained (roughly 2.3 - 2.5 L). The original fluid is Toyota WS, you probably should go with that or at least make sure to use a WS-compatible fluid. Valvoline MaxLife has good online rep as a WS alternative.

·
Diehard Rams Fan
20,242 Posts
The pan has a drain plug. No fill plug it fills through the dispstick, you'll need a thin funnel.

ATF expands with heat so I like to wait for the car to cool down, that way I can easily put back the same amount that I drained (roughly 2.3 - 2.5 L). The original fluid is Toyota WS, you probably should go with that or at least make sure to use a WS-compatible fluid. Valvoline MaxLife has good online rep as a WS alternative.
Yep, I'll use Toyota WS fluid. It's the same fluid that my 10 Prius uses but that has a fill and drain hole just like manual transmission. I'll have her pick some up for me to use.

·
Diehard Rams Fan
20,242 Posts
why use a shroud at all? why not run the CFL halo without a shroud? thats just my preference. the shroud does give the halo a more unique pattern, if that's what your're going for. :) Nice work btw, if i had time I'd mod my headlight a little as well.
So here are some more pics to help you understand how this all works. Without the shroud you can see the side of the projector and the wires from the hi/low cutoff.

You can see how the old CFL halo mounts inside of the shroud.

Here is the new RGB LCD halo.

Here is how the new RGB LCD halo with mount inside the shroud. :smile:

·
10th Gen Addict
3,264 Posts
Spent the day doing some minor fixes to my Corolla. Ever since I got my car, the passenger door was slightly misaligned and there was a tiny gap at the top of the door where it would not seal. It didn't really bother me too much until I went through a touchless car wash and had some water start to leak in...

I ended up just realigning the whole front right corner since there was a previous accident on this side which was poorly repaired with horrendous door and fender gaps.

As you can see, the frame is all straight which is a huge win!

The end result is that the door gap is gone and water from car washes no longer leaks inside my car anymore :lol: The door gap and fender gap look much more OEM now as well!

I also JB Welded a piece that fell off back onto the front bumper. Eventually, I'll bondo on top of it and paint it to make it look good again. This is good enough for now though and is much better than having a random speedhole at the front.

The previous owner also installed some Sony speakers at the rear which would normally sound good but due to their jank wiring, only one of the rear speakers worked. I rewired it so that I can have all 4 speakers again. They sound alright but an amp would greatly help. Eitherway, my Corolla is at a good spot now where it drives well and everything works on it. :thumbsup:

With the amount of updates I put out for my car, I should just make a separate thread for it lol.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts

·
Diehard Rams Fan
20,242 Posts

·
Diehard Rams Fan
20,242 Posts
I was able to get my headlights baked and put back together with the new HID bulbs, shrouds and RGB halos installed. Hoping to get them back into the car in the next couple of days,

Here you can see the back of it. You can see the HID wires coming off of the bulbs. The green/white wire is from the RGB halo, the other black/red wire is coming from the HID solenoid for the hi/low trigger. I also installed some new LED hi beam bulbs. :smile:

·
I Got Lei'd
49 Posts
With that mileage, better replace the filter as well which wont take that long to replace it. Just get the gasket and filter and your good. I always change my filter when I do my AT fluid change.

·
Diehard Rams Fan
20,242 Posts
Got my headlights back on the car. I only have to tidy up the wires, ground the halos and connect the dimming wire into my parking lights. Then get the bumper on and detail it for Toyotafest on 6/1. :grin:

·
Diehard Rams Fan
20,242 Posts
Here is my final setup after getting everything wrapped up. I also upgraded my air filter . This one looks a lot nicer and is larger. Almost ready for Toyotafest on 6/1. :grin:

·
Diehard Rams Fan
20,242 Posts
I played around with my new Glow Shift gauges and halo colors today. I tried to get some decent pics to show the different colors but it the phone didn't do that great of a job. The different colors are bold and beautiful! I tried the gauges with the cover rings and without and liked it more without. I slipped them on the inside of the gauges in case I ever change my mind. :smile:

I hydro dipped my gauge holder like I did my engine cover.

Here are the gauges after I took off the hood covers.

Here are some pics of the gauge colors even though they didn't turn out well in the pics. In person they look great.

Here are some different colors on my halos.

·
Diehard Rams Fan
20,242 Posts
I also installed my center undercover that only comes on the XRS. The holes on the front of it lined up with holes perfectly but the back end holes were different on my S than the XRS. I drilled a hole to line up with my panels that are butted up to it and I tucked it under the existing panels of my S. It worked out great. So much cleaner now for airflow. It's easy to see how it will help air flow through the radiator and intercooler. After dropping my car back on its tires it seems so low after being 20" up in the air on my mini lift. :lol:

·
Diehard Rams Fan
20,242 Posts
I got up and gave her a bath today. Next up is to apply the R1 Ceramic coating that I bought. :smile:

14921 - 14940 of 14979 Posts
About this Discussion
15K Replies
554 Participants
SuperchargedMR2
Toyota Nation Forum
ToyotaNation Forum is a community dedicated to all Toyota models. Come discuss the Camry, Tacoma, Highlander, 4Runner, Rav4 and more!
Full Forum Listing