Toyota Nation Forum banner

14941 - 14960 of 14979 Posts

·
Diehard Rams Fan
20,242 Posts
After washing her I pulled her into the garage.

I bought this synthetic clay from Griot's Garage but I had never used it before today. I clayed my Corolla and I love it! It does a great job and is so much easier than using a clay bar.

After claying the car and glass I used the prep on all of the paint. Planning on doing the ceramic coating tomorrow since it's date night with the wife tonight. :smile:

·
Registered
31 Posts
also planning to ceramic coat mine... last week i tried spraying a little hit n run that left marks on the front bumper but ended up sanding it... too much basecoat had so many runs

would a ceramic coating stop water from sticking on the car after rain?

·
Diehard Rams Fan
20,242 Posts
also planning to ceramic coat mine... last week i tried spraying a little hit n run that left marks on the front bumper but ended up sanding it... too much basecoat had so many runs

would a ceramic coating stop water from sticking on the car after rain?
I did my Corolla today. It was very easy to put on and is slick as can be with a fantastic shine.

It will help with water on the car as it's very hydrophobic and repels water well. This R1 ceramic coating also has the hardest rating available at 9H for what that's worth. Hopefully it last almost forever for me.

I last waxed my car with Griot's Garage products which I've always loved 6 years ago and it was still beading water nicely so I have high hopes for this ceramic coating.

·
Registered
31 Posts
speaking of wax... last friday i used a compound on the hood and the trunk because they were a bit faded and now water sticks to them (just as the newly painted rest of the car)

so if i waxed the entire car the water problem would go away... the new paint has to be rechecked at the body shop some of the tints are off and doorwells arent fully repainted *the better oem job still visible under... i wont wax anything before that gets fixed

·
Diehard Rams Fan
20,242 Posts
speaking of wax... last friday i used a compound on the hood and the trunk because they were a bit faded and now water sticks to them (just as the newly painted rest of the car)

so if i waxed the entire car the water problem would go away... the new paint has to be rechecked at the body shop some of the tints are off and doorwells arent fully repainted *the better oem job still visible under... i wont wax anything before that gets fixed
Don't wax any paint until it has cured for 30 days. When you use the Prep that comes with the R1 it will trip off any previous wax and sealants.

·
Registered
31 Posts
also, wax should only be put on clearcoat that has cured 30 days right? not on only basecoat?

im repairing a hit n run on the bumper right now (and just found a tic tac toe draw with a key on my door) the base coat only looks good and shiny but when sanding it, it goes back to a liquid.

update : i tried a meguiars compound on the vandalism tic-tac-toe it did ok at cleaning most of the scratches... then spray the ultimate quick wax i got with it... so far so good... it does repel water as i put some on my kitchen sink now the water doesnt spread everywhere on the counter like it used to do... very good... it simply slides back in the sink

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
After washing her I pulled her into the garage.

I bought this synthetic clay from Griot's Garage but I had never used it before today. I clayed my Corolla and I love it! It does a great job and is so much easier than using a clay bar.

After claying the car and glass I used the prep on all of the paint. Planning on doing the ceramic coating tomorrow since it's date night with the wife tonight. :smile:

Glad to hear the synthetic clay works so well. Got mine awhile ago, now I am really looking forward to using it!

·
Diehard Rams Fan
20,242 Posts
Went to Toyotafest in Long Beach, CA today! What a blast. Over 600 Toyotas were there. It was a los nice meeting other 10th Gen Corolla owners that had followed my Corolla mods for the past decade!

·
Diehard Rams Fan
20,242 Posts
Since going to Toyotafest on Saturday I've been taking the scenic route back home through the mountains of California. On Sunday I drove up through Big Bear Lake and then headed up 39 north from Asuza. There were all kinds of cars and bikes enjoying the curvy canyon roads. I then drove up highway 2, the Angeles Crest Highway and over to Mt. Wilson. I couldn't go any farther due to a rock slide. From there I drove the back way up to Bakersfield, CA to spend the night.

This morning I got an early start and headed up highway 178 NE to Lake Isabella, CA. I read an article about the great roads in Car & Driver before leaving so I wanted to see it.

Pulled over when I arrived at Lake Isabella.

Heading north from Lake Isabella it's 110 miles of crazy curves that I was enjoying my turbo boost at a regular interval, especially as the elevation got higher and the air got thinner. :smile:

Did I say curves?? It was like this for 110 miles!!! I was loving it. :grin:

·
10th Gen Addict
3,264 Posts
I recently got a Simoniz headlight restoration kit and decided to use it on both of my 2011 Corolla's. They came out really good especially on my 5 speed Corolla as the headlights on those were horribly faded and damaged. Now they look almost brand new!

Before on my Corolla S:

And after:

Before on my 5 speed Corolla:

After:

I'm very pleased with the results and I'm probably going to apply a sealer afterwards so that the headlights don't fade again and stay shiny.

Also, a few days ago, I noticed a few oil spots on my driveway and I saw that it was coming from my 5 speed Corolla. After jacking it up, it seems that transmission fluid is leaking though the driveshaft axle seal. When I bought the car, the seller did tell me he had the axle changed so I guess either the mechanic didn't take the time to change the seal or the mechanic damaged the seal leading it to leak. I already bought a new one from Toyota for $15 but I have a "certain event" to attend to this weekend so I have no time to install it. I'm probably going to check how much fluid I've lost by undoing the fill bolt and topping it off if necessary tomorrow.

You can see that the space between the seal and axle is pretty wet. What sucks is that I just changed the transmission fluid to RP Syncromax so all of the fluid that leaked out is basically brand new ...oh well. The car still shifts fine and the leak is very slow so there should be a good amount of fluid still in there.

·
Registered
31 Posts
good catch...

yesterday i drove mine through the Ottawa hills... a good 2h in the afternoon on small roads, saw almost zero traffic

·
Diehard Rams Fan
20,242 Posts
Some videos of my drive home after Toyotafest 2019. This was over Ebbett's Pass in the Sierras. Crazy part about this is that the road went from a 2 lane highway to a wide single lane and the speed limit never changed from 55 mph. There were also no warning speed signs for the curves so you had to be sure of your speeds. I was in 2nd and 3rd gear mostly which made the turbo pulls a lot of fun. I didn't realize that I had my dash cam in the wrong mode so it squeezed the video but you can still get the idea.

·
Registered
31 Posts
superchargedmr2 : that road looks sick to drive on... there was still some snow there too! must have been high up

Added Tint 35% front 20% rear. Ordered New Deflectors for windows. New hub caps yesterday. [this is old pic] taken about 2 days ago

nice! was it hard to cut and stick the tint to the windows? i heard the heater on the back window might make the tint do bubbles etc?

did a quick wash of mine while my 3yo stayed in his car seat... he was terrible in the car today yelling and hitting his smaller bro...

looks good but i need to get it buffed the paint was redone on one side mostly and its full of orange peel

Attachments

·
Diehard Rams Fan
20,242 Posts
superchargedmr2 : that road looks sick to drive on... there was still some snow there too! must have been high up
The roads were a blast to drive. It was up in a pass in the Sierras above 6'k elevation. The heavier snow amounts were around 8'k elevation but the roads were dry and you can see. :grin:

·
Corolla Fan
428 Posts
I had the AC drain hose out and I didn't even noticed until I touch the floor mat. It was soaking wet so I removed everything. I changed the evaporator and put protection on the paint
wow, what was the sign that the evaporator needed to be replaced? what year and what mileage corolla, whats your location?

·
Diehard Rams Fan
20,242 Posts
Dropped my 09 Corolla S Turbo off at the body shop today to get the deer damage fixed from 2 1/2 weeks ago. Looking forward to having it back and looking perfect again. I will have to let the new paint cure for 30 days though before I can get the new Clear Bra installed on the new bumper.

This will soon be history!! :grin:

14941 - 14960 of 14979 Posts
About this Discussion
15K Replies
554 Participants
SuperchargedMR2
Toyota Nation Forum
ToyotaNation Forum is a community dedicated to all Toyota models. Come discuss the Camry, Tacoma, Highlander, 4Runner, Rav4 and more!
Full Forum Listing