Toyota Nation Forum banner

15061 - 15080 of 15081 Posts

·
Diehard Rams Fan
21,216 Posts
SuperchargedMR2, where did you buy your headlight assemblies?
I bought some replacement headlamps on eBay and the HID retrofit parts from The Retrofit Source. I did the retrofit as I showed. :)

·
Diehard Rams Fan
21,216 Posts
I got my new SS brake lines today. Hoping to get some warmer weather to get my brakes installed.

·
Diehard Rams Fan
21,216 Posts
Which did you get and what kind of quality are they?
I just bought an OEM replacement set for the S/XRS 2009-10 Corolla. The quality seems fine but since I wasn't using the halogen reflectors I never tried them. Using the HID Morimoto projectors made the quality of the final headlight outstanding.

·
Registered
2013 Corolla s 5speed Nautical Blue
3 Posts
Hey everyone! I've had my Corolla S for a week or so and got tires mounted on my old rims! I think Different rims would suit my Corolla better, but these are growing on me. I hope you all have a wonderful day!

·
Diehard Rams Fan
21,216 Posts
I started my brake upgrade today on my 2009 Corolla S Turbo 5MT. These are my OEM pads with 103k+ miles on them compared to the new EBC Redstuff pads. I think I could have got 200k miles on them.

Here are the OEM rotors compared to the new EBC slotted rotors.

Here is the RF after I finished it. New EBC Redstuff pads, rotors and APEX SS braided brake lines. I still have the LF to do and to swap the rear brake lines.

·
Registered
2009 Toyota Corolla CE
41 Posts
I noticed you did not install the 2 small phillips head screws that hold your rotor. Are they really needed ? They can be difficult to remove.

·
Diehard Rams Fan
21,216 Posts
I noticed you did not install the 2 small phillips head screws that hold your rotor. Are they really needed ? They can be difficult to remove.
There are no philips head screws that hold on the rotor. The 2 holes that you see are used to screw in bolts if the rotor is stuck on to the hub. They push against the hub and break it loose. I had to do that on both sides.
You can see them in this pic

·
Diehard Rams Fan
21,216 Posts
I was able to paint my rear drum brake, finish installing the rear SS brake lines and install the new MGP Caliper Covers on the from disc brakes. I love the way they look!

·
Registered
121 Posts
Well, since it’s finally getting nicer out, and I ended up driving my car all winter (or lack of winter). Gave her a bath today with the power washer and a soapy hand mit, took her around the block to dry out the car/brakes, and tossed her on jack stands, gotta get the winter tires off before the warmer weather chews them up (hasn’t really snowed in a month, and I’ve put 2500 miles on it in that month). So for now I yanked off the rear rims, and drums to adjust the drums, and taking those to work tomorrow to sandblast and repaint the drums (don’t judge, they are durajunk non coated drums, I was in a pinch last year and they were all I could get that day and back together before I went in for surgery the next day). Next on the list is get the fronts off, and drop them off at a garage that’s still open so they can put the brand new tires I picked up Saturday on the rims, and then hopefully my tax return gets in soon, I need new struts soon, as mine are cooked. And then an alignment and state inspection that is due next month

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Diehard Rams Fan
21,216 Posts
I installed a universal front lip splitter on my 2009 Corolla S Turbo while it was on my Quick Jack for my brake job. I bought it last year and it was cheap at $40 but I wasn't sure if I would like it or not. Luckily I can take it off easily if I don't care for it. I also installed a n electronic deer avoidance whistle. I spoke to a guy that owned a trucking company and they installed them on all of their trucks and saw a 90% decrease in deer accidents. I'm not a huge fan of how it looks but if it keeps the deer from running in front of me I'll be happy. I can also easily take it off if I'm not doing a road trip.

·
Diehard Rams Fan
21,216 Posts
And blasted and painted the drums

Looks good. Your drums were in very rough shape, much worse than mine. I'm not sure that paint is high heat enough though for brakes. I used a high heat paint that was good up to 1200F. Brakes get a lot hotter than engine block surfaces.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Looks good. Your drums were in very rough shape, much worse than mine. I'm not sure that paint is high heat enough though for brakes. I used a high heat paint that was good up to 1200F. Brakes get a lot hotter than engine block surfaces.
Autobone ermmmm autozone quality parts, and lovely New York State rock salt, brine, and calcium chloride. Can’t have anything nice up here, it held up fine till they got blasted by the slushy mess during the winter. I was gonna grab some VHT exhaust header paint, but everything is closed here and that paint was the same I used last year (those drums are only 8 months old )

·
Diehard Rams Fan
21,216 Posts
Autobone ermmmm autozone quality parts, and lovely New York State rock salt, brine, and calcium chloride. Can’t have anything nice up here, it held up fine till they got blasted by the slushy mess during the winter. I was gonna grab some VHT exhaust header paint, but everything is closed here and that paint was the same I used last year (those drums are only 8 months old )

I wish I had taken a picture of my drums before I painted them. I had never touched them since I bought the car in 11/2008 and they looked great compared to yours. I've always told myself that I would never live in a state that used salt of winter roads. I would look at every possibility to move so it didn't destroy my cars.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I wish I had taken a picture of my drums before I painted them. I had never touched them since I bought the car in 11/2008 and they looked great compared to yours. I've always told myself that I would never live in a state that used salt of winter roads. I would look at every possibility to move so it didn't destroy my cars.
The original drums pretty much cracked apart on me last summer, it sounded like a spring broke in the left rear, so I was off work (had triple, yes triple, hernia repair done June 27th, and mid August I was still off and scheduled to go in the next day to fix the one that failed right away, long story for another day) anyways, was on my way back from seeing my dad in the hospital and heard the noise, was like, you have got to be kidding me, got home, popped off the drums and everything looked fine inside, looked at the drum and chunks were breaking off the ledge that the backing plate “meshes” with, allowing it to fly around inside the drum with no escape. So I called around, Toyota dealers had none/ or were closed, or could have it next day (did me no good when I had to be in for surgery ) Napa had none nearby, so I called autobone, and they had a full setup in stock at the closest one, hoped in my truck and flew up there and got them, came home to see they were base non coated drums, which i was pissed about , threw some paint on them and let them dry as I ripped out all the original shoes and springs, slapped the new stuff in. Tossed the drums on and adjusted the adjusters and called it good. But the originals made it from 2011 till 2019 and 116000-ish miles, shoes looked fine but had some cracking from the rust chunks banging around, so I’m not risking it over $40 in shoes and did all this from 9pm till about 2am in my driveway with only a trouble light

Side note, try driving a $53k diesel truck in the winter and after 2 winters have it lock up the pads in the brackets to the point it cooked the rear rotors, and had to use cutting torches to get the fronts off because of all the rust. Yes it sucks, and yes I love snow

15061 - 15080 of 15081 Posts