Toyota Nation Forum banner

15081 - 15100 of 15138 Posts

·
chrome won't get you home
2012 Corolla
2,505 Posts
The dust shields pretty much crumbled off the car, 2 years ago they were solid still... thanks salt!
Wow, the dust shields on my old Camry had only started to disintegrate like that after 30 years and 260,000 kms... and I thought the salt on our roads was brutal!

Today I changed the oil, flushed the brake lines and installed the summer wheels. Inspected everything that I possibly could and everything appears to be rock solid.. well maybe I'm gonna need some new brake pads before the end of the year, they're getting a bit thin.

·
Registered
166 Posts
It’s more so the calcium chloride and brine nys started using, I dread driving my truck in the winter now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Diehard Rams Fan
21,720 Posts
Busy day today,

Got all the new struts in, and some casualties of ny rust

The dust shields pretty much crumbled off the car, 2 years ago they were solid still... thanks salt!

After that was done, did a spill and fill on the coolant and trans. Now just need to schedule an alignment this week and get the state inspection done and she should be good, might need to buy a new swaybar link, the passenger side has a tiny bit of play, thanks to having to torch the nut off because of rust.... anyone sense a theme here

Oem factory struts made it 125100k and still were “ok” but the gas/internals were weak it felt like going down the road

That is crazy. I always told myself that I would never live in an area that uses salt as there are other options. I'm just happy that WA State doesn't use salt in my area at least and no inspections. That sure seems like a waste of resources. I find that most places that have all of the inspections have terrible roads. I see a correlation there. :ROFLMAO:

I spent the day today washing and detailing my 2017 RAV4 after the winter months. She looks beautiful now. I also took off the winter tires and put the A/S tires on. I also took my 89 Supercharged MR2 out of storage and started to get her ready for the warmer months.

·
Diehard Rams Fan
21,720 Posts
It’s more so the calcium chloride and brine nys started using, I dread driving my truck in the winter now

I say just leave the snow on the roads but plow them. People should be using winter tires in these areas anyway for better traction.

Reactions: Skidoorevxp

·
Diehard Rams Fan
21,720 Posts
Installed new Denso spark plugs. When I turbocharged it, Turbokits recommended that I used a 1-step colder plug. The plugs I installed that I was told were colder were actually 1-step hotter. The car has run perfectly fine with them but I ended up putting in the OEM heat range plug as that was the coldest plug that Denso makes for the Corolla. Not bad though for less than $12 on eBay.

All buttoned up after I changed the plugs. And for anyone that is going to change their plugs you need a 14mm spark plug socket. I've found the magnetic one to be fantastic.

Reactions: Pauly1971

·
Registered
234 Posts
just did my tires/wheels, all 4 were really stickin to the hub it took me hours but brake fluid was my friend and it helped me not come back with only a partial wheel change LOL

Also, my dust shields are disintegrating too. I bet this part is a bit superfluous, not essential? if its also a salt shield, I guess next to rust and break apart are my calipers/rotors.

·
Diehard Rams Fan
21,720 Posts
just did my tires/wheels, all 4 were really stickin to the hub it took me hours but brake fluid was my friend and it helped me not come back with only a partial wheel change LOL

Also, my dust shields are disintegrating too. I bet this part is a bit superfluous, not essential? if its also a salt shield, I guess next to rust and break apart are my calipers/rotors.
I always spread a little grease on the back of my wheel where it contacts the hub and they never stick. Top tip for you. ;)

Reactions: CochiseG

·
Registered
166 Posts
And I finally replaced my sunroof. Got a used assembly (ordered just the glass, and got that plus the track, motor and shade ) it’s not perfect, but it’s a million times better then mine was. This one should last 3-4 years (about long as I’ll keep this car as by then I’ll be well over 200k on it and it’s a northern/ny car)

And the old one

·
Diehard Rams Fan
21,720 Posts
And I finally replaced my sunroof. Got a used assembly (ordered just the glass, and got that plus the track, motor and shade ) it’s not perfect, but it’s a million times better then mine was. This one should last 3-4 years (about long as I’ll keep this car as by then I’ll be well over 200k on it and it’s a northern/ny car)

And the old one

That is crazy!! I checked mine and it has no rust at all.

·
Diehard Rams Fan
21,720 Posts
I've been trying to learn how to edit videos on YouTube so I thought that some of you might enjoy the one I just made. This was my first drive after turbocharging my 2009 Corolla S.

·
Registered
(2013) Toyota Corolla S
1 Posts
I finally got around to installing an UR Upper Rear Strut Brace on my (2013) Toyota Corolla S. It's a nice little welcomed improvement to the vechile and the other bars (TRD FSB and TRD RSB) already installed on it.

Attachments

·
Registered
54 Posts
Blew out the front drivers side strut a little while back... ordered 4 monroe strut assemblies and beck&arnley sway bar links from Rock [2009 with 180,000km]. First time using Rock. I've never attempted a suspension install on a car, though I've done it on a motorcycle... excited to learn, and I'm close enough to the shop that if I goof or get stuck I will just have it towed over. On vacation the week of May 18th... parts should arrive by this weekend... updates when I get at it

·
Diehard Rams Fan
21,720 Posts
Blew out the front drivers side strut a little while back... ordered 4 monroe strut assemblies and beck&arnley sway bar links from Rock [2009 with 180,000km]. First time using Rock. I've never attempted a suspension install on a car, though I've done it on a motorcycle... excited to learn, and I'm close enough to the shop that if I goof or get stuck I will just have it towed over. On vacation the week of May 18th... parts should arrive by this weekend... updates when I get at it
This was on my 2017 Corolla iM but the 10th Gen Corolla is very similar. You need to remove the wiper cowl to have good access to the strut tops.

·
Diehard Rams Fan
21,720 Posts
I just traveled 1800 miles from WA State to NM to help my mom with some things. I took mostly back roads and had a blast. This was the first time I've driven my 2009 Corolla S Turbo 5MT back to NM and the power difference with the turbo was amazing at 6k'-7500' in elevation. :)

Reactions: 75aces

·
Registered
2009 Corolla XRS
11 Posts
Not so much today, but over the last few weeks, I've upgraded my head unit from factory to a Kenwood DDX376BT, using a pac audio module to integrate into the factory jbl system and keep my steering wheel controls. Added a SiriusXM module as well. I'm probably going to order the adapter to retain the factory sharkfin because the antenna that came with the SXV300 sucks. I added a custom boot screen to my Kenwood and also am in the process of installing a modded PlayStation Classic so my wife can stay occupied on long trips when the phone signal is bad. I also installed a QC3.0 dual USB panel into the empty hole left by the factory AUX port.
20200419_150057.jpg Snapchat-1283143667.jpg 20200510_111738.jpg

15081 - 15100 of 15138 Posts