Toyota Nation Forum banner

15081 - 15081 of 15081 Posts

·
Diehard Rams Fan
21,205 Posts
The original drums pretty much cracked apart on me last summer, it sounded like a spring broke in the left rear, so I was off work (had triple, yes triple, hernia repair done June 27th, and mid August I was still off and scheduled to go in the next day to fix the one that failed right away, long story for another day) anyways, was on my way back from seeing my dad in the hospital and heard the noise, was like, you have got to be kidding me, got home, popped off the drums and everything looked fine inside, looked at the drum and chunks were breaking off the ledge that the backing plate “meshes” with, allowing it to fly around inside the drum with no escape. So I called around, Toyota dealers had none/ or were closed, or could have it next day (did me no good when I had to be in for surgery ) Napa had none nearby, so I called autobone, and they had a full setup in stock at the closest one, hoped in my truck and flew up there and got them, came home to see they were base non coated drums, which i was pissed about , threw some paint on them and let them dry as I ripped out all the original shoes and springs, slapped the new stuff in. Tossed the drums on and adjusted the adjusters and called it good. But the originals made it from 2011 till 2019 and 116000-ish miles, shoes looked fine but had some cracking from the rust chunks banging around, so I’m not risking it over $40 in shoes and did all this from 9pm till about 2am in my driveway with only a trouble light

Side note, try driving a $53k diesel truck in the winter and after 2 winters have it lock up the pads in the brackets to the point it cooked the rear rotors, and had to use cutting torches to get the fronts off because of all the rust. Yes it sucks, and yes I love snow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Crazy as that shows the quality of the OEM drums compared to the Autozone ones. I love the snow too, luckily we don't use salt in WA state where I live. :)

15081 - 15081 of 15081 Posts