Toyota Nation Forum banner

15101 - 15120 of 15132 Posts

·
chrome won't get you home
2012 Corolla
2,503 Posts
Did the brake pads last Monday, I had about the thickness of a nickel left on the best one. New ones are Akebono ceramics. Lubed the guide pins with Toyota Rubber Grease and everything is now working smoothly in the braking dept. Ffwd to this morning when I scored a rather nice set of 17" OEM rims with Firestone rubbers, now that's my kind of wheel, i'm a 5 spoke type of guy haha. I'm even ready for next winter as I have a set of studded Yokohama's ready to be installed on the 16" rims and thus I'm happy to say I'm officially done with steelies.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Yesterday was sunny as promised... got right at it first thing in the morning, and all done succesfully now. Alignment booked for Wednesday. To anyone considering doing this job - I've done some wrenching over the years, but this was the furthest I've gone on a car - it was time consuming but straightforward, one bolt after the next, and very satisfying once done. Best thing I did was buy an impact wrench, it took those 177lb-ft bolts and spun them effortlessly... though I'm sure the regular doses of PB BLASTER I had sprayed on all these bolts over the past 2 weeks helped too! The small bolt that holds the speed sensor in my right front sheared off... and after some colorful language I got right on that and worked that little pain-in-the until I got it out, so succesful on all fronts!

Attachments

·
Diehard Rams Fan
21,662 Posts
Just got back from a 5300 mile, 10 day road trip. It was awesome as I self-isolated in my car. :) I traveled from WA state to Oregon, Idaho, Nevada, Utah, Arizona, New Mexico, Colorado, Utah, Wyoming, Idaho, Wyoming, Idaho, Oregon, Washington, Idaho, Montana, Idaho, Oregon and finally for the last time back home in Washington.

·
Diehard Rams Fan
21,662 Posts
I started my trip at just over 104k miles and ended it at over 109k miles! I thought of taking this after I had left as I left with 104006 miles.

·
Diehard Rams Fan
21,662 Posts
I'm going to try and put together some videos from different areas that I drove on my trip. This one is from a stretch of US191 in Utah as I was going up a pass.

·
Diehard Rams Fan
21,662 Posts
Restored my headlights using the Meguiar's Perfect Clarity 2-Step Headlight Kit.
A lot of elbow grease, but definitely worth it. Next project is painting my rusty steel rims before winter and fixing the rusty rock chips I have on my roof. Just waiting on a good deal for a dewalt brushless Impact + Drill combo, since I have no power tools View attachment 300537
Good job. Now always park with your tail lights to the sun and your headlights will stay looking nice. All of my cars head lights look like new, even my 14 year old 2006 Scion xB. :)

Reactions: 75aces

·
Diehard Rams Fan
21,662 Posts
Here's a video from when I recently drove through the Flaming Gorge National Recreation Area in Utah. It was an amazing drive in my 2009 Corolla S Turbo 5MT. :)

·
Registered
09 Corolla Base 17 Camry SE
2,351 Posts
Had to replace the plastic T-fitting between the 2 piece radiator hose. Bumped against the small nipple for the hose leading to radiator overflow. 25 mile drive to dealer who had part in stock and had parts department open late. Part didn't look quite right but when I got back home realized it had a mounting bracket. Unfortunately it's design means you have to remove the battery to get to the mounting bolts. Ugh. But back together and running so I don't have to take off from work tomorrow.
20200611_173157.jpg

·
Diehard Rams Fan
21,662 Posts
Had to replace the plastic T-fitting between the 2 piece radiator hose. Bumped against the small nipple for the hose leading to radiator overflow. 25 mile drive to dealer who had part in stock and had parts department open late. Part didn't look quite right but when I got back home realized it had a mounting bracket. Unfortunately it's design means you have to remove the battery to get to the mounting bolts. Ugh. But back together and running so I don't have to take off from work tomorrow.
View attachment 301925
No big deal to take out the battery. That just takes a few minutes.

·
Diehard Rams Fan
21,662 Posts
I moved my Corolla and put my cover over it. I'll pull it into my garage and up on my QuickJack to change the oil and do some other maintenance after my 5300 mile road trip.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Got my summer wheels re-balanced (thanks Costco for the freebie) as I had a wheel weight fall off in the driveway.

Now with the replaced strut assemblines, a 4-wheel alignment, and freshly balanced tires, the car rides SO MUCH BETTER! With the blown strut I had a jackhammer effect at drivers front, and missing a wheel weight (maybe a couple?) I had the whoomp whoomp sound/feel while driving slowly... 100% cured now.

Next up is to figure out why my auto dimming mirror stopped functioning after I had the front windshield replaced... coincidence? Did the windshield guy pinch a wire? Did the mirror just naturally die (its from an... 03? Murano via eBay) Hasn't been a priority as the sun is up so early this time of year but within a month I'll be driving to work in the dark again so need to sort this out...

15101 - 15120 of 15132 Posts