Toyota Nation Forum banner

15141 - 15160 of 15165 Posts

·
Diehard Rams Fan
21,861 Posts
I have A/T. Thank you for the Oil filter recommendation! I will totally but it for next time!
The TRD is a synthetic oil filter and should always be used if doing a longer OCI. If you do a 5k mile OCI the standard oil filter will work okay.

·
Registered
2011 Toyota Corolla LE
8 Posts
Changed out struts and the cv axles getting to it little by little... i noticed there was some play in the rotors is this normal , or are the rotors too big... something else maybe? the noise is coming from the rotor rim hitting the stud

if anyone can watch these videos and give me your 2 cents it would be appreciated

Rotor only
With tire on

Attachments

·
Diehard Rams Fan
21,861 Posts
Changed out struts and the cv axles getting to it little by little... i noticed there was some play in the rotors is this normal , or are the rotors too big... something else maybe? the noise is coming from the rotor rim hitting the stud

if anyone can watch these videos and give me your 2 cents it would be appreciated

Rotor only
With tire on
That is normal when the wheels studs aren't tightened down.

Reactions: ronarola

·
Diehard Rams Fan
21,861 Posts
woof what a relief i thought i had to replace them , thanks
When I'm installing new rotors, sometimes I have to thread a lug nut to hold the rotor in place while I get the caliper bracket back on as it doesn't want to stay in place. ;)

·
Registered
246 Posts
Done the brake drums ! got shoes, spring kit, and cans of braker cleaner, penetrating oil, anti rust lubricant/oil and black enamel high temp paint, about 120$... drums now look good, all black, I also repainted some of the under carriage/protected with anti rust oil.

worst part of the drum shoe change is pulling the main spring back into place. I got a trick to use the pliers to pull the spring and the bearing acts as a lever with the pliers. this way, its easy to bring the spring all the way to the next shoe.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I've been driving the Corolla a lot less recently, due to summer (I ride basically any time its not a disaster out), and with the wife working from home due to COVID I've had to keep her car moving as well... so I'm driving the Corolla and her car each about once a week these days

I could smell a bit of brake burn a couple of days ago; it seemed my front calipers were sticking but after a few mins they released. I replaced the front calipers 4 years ago as my OEM's were seizing, and at the time I paid a few $ extra to get a set of lifetime warranty ones from NAPA (the shop I go to is literally next door to NAPA, its pretty convenient that way)

When I got on the road yesterday I knew right away my front right caliper was locked on. I limped the car to the shop... front right was seized, and front left was seizing though not fully locked on like the right. Both replaced free under the lifetime warrany. Paid 2 hours labour.

Brakes feel like new again, and my 12 year old Corolla continues to be a tank. I knew when I did the brake job last time that I should consider lifetime brake parts as I intend to drive this car until it falls to pieces, and I seem to have a history with calipers seizing thoughout my driving career...

·
Diehard Rams Fan
21,861 Posts
I've been driving the Corolla a lot less recently, due to summer (I ride basically any time its not a disaster out), and with the wife working from home due to COVID I've had to keep her car moving as well... so I'm driving the Corolla and her car each about once a week these days

I could smell a bit of brake burn a couple of days ago; it seemed my front calipers were sticking but after a few mins they released. I replaced the front calipers 4 years ago as my OEM's were seizing, and at the time I paid a few $ extra to get a set of lifetime warranty ones from NAPA (the shop I go to is literally next door to NAPA, its pretty convenient that way)

When I got on the road yesterday I knew right away my front right caliper was locked on. I limped the car to the shop... front right was seized, and front left was seizing though not fully locked on like the right. Both replaced free under the lifetime warrany. Paid 2 hours labour.

Brakes feel like new again, and my 12 year old Corolla continues to be a tank. I knew when I did the brake job last time that I should consider lifetime brake parts as I intend to drive this car until it falls to pieces, and I seem to have a history with calipers seizing thoughout my driving career...
I've not heard of any issues with the calipers. I have 109k miles on my 2009 now but I'm still on the original calipers.

·
Registered
58 Posts
My best guess is Nova Scotia winters; lots of salt on the road and now brine as well for the past few years... I do annual Rust Chek but it can only do so much

·
Diehard Rams Fan
21,861 Posts
My best guess is Nova Scotia winters; lots of salt on the road and now brine as well for the past few years... I do annual Rust Chek but it can only do so much
I'm so glad that WA State doesn't use salt on the roads.

·
Registered
'09 Corolla S
25 Posts
Finally got a spare set of wheels to be able to run dedicated summer vs winter wheels.
On the new 'summer' wheels i found an old set of raceline wheels, originally on an '02 Subaru WRX. These are 17" but the exact same size as the XRS, so I figured they would fit, and they do, without any need for centering rings. Mounts flush with no movement even before you put the lug nuts on!
Got new rubbers for the tires as well (215/45ZR-17 Kumho Ecsta PS31 XL) and had the wheels podwer coated with Prismatic Powders Black Bronze II (PMB-2749) and then ceramic coated with Gyeon Rim on the face and barrel, not that these vehicles give off a lot of brake dust, but it will be super easy to clean for the remainder of the summer until i swap out for the winter set.
IMG_20200725_174342.jpg
IMG_20200726_114541.jpg

·
Diehard Rams Fan
21,861 Posts
Finally got a spare set of wheels to be able to run dedicated summer vs winter wheels.
On the new 'summer' wheels i found an old set of raceline wheels, originally on an '02 Subaru WRX. These are 17" but the exact same size as the XRS, so I figured they would fit, and they do, without any need for centering rings. Mounts flush with no movement even before you put the lug nuts on!
Got new rubbers for the tires as well (215/45ZR-17 Kumho Ecsta PS31 XL) and had the wheels podwer coated with Prismatic Powders Black Bronze II (PMB-2749) and then ceramic coated with Gyeon Rim on the face and barrel, not that these vehicles give off a lot of brake dust, but it will be super easy to clean for the remainder of the summer until i swap out for the winter set.
View attachment 305750 View attachment 305751
Looks good, but you should have gone with 225/45R17 since that is the proper diameter for the Corolla.

·
Diehard Rams Fan
21,861 Posts
In Florida we use salt for the Margaritas not for roads :giggle:
True but there are no fun roads in Florida. The highest road is an overpass, not my kind of fun. :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
57 Posts
I installed the Quantum Solenoid on my XRS this weekend. I highly recommend!! Im shocked how much of an impact this little thing has. The engine accelerates much smoother and quicker. Smoother deceleration and shirting too. Once the best little mods Ive ever done. Think I need to add one to my Sienna!

Also finally installed my Ultra Racing 19mm rear sway to supplement the TRD rear sway. Another fantastic improvement. Well, a shop had to actually install this, the bolts for the existing sway needed to be heated to get them loose. Does the lower front 3 point also make such a big difference? I was debating this one.

It was like driving a new car this weekend, fell in love with my Rolla all over again. 11 years and still going strong. Only 110k kilometers.

No if I could only get all the minor door dings and scratches out! Body work is so expense in Canada.

·
Diehard Rams Fan
21,861 Posts
I installed the Quantum Solenoid on my XRS this weekend. I highly recommend!! Im shocked how much of an impact this little thing has. The engine accelerates much smoother and quicker. Smoother deceleration and shirting too. Once the best little mods Ive ever done. Think I need to add one to my Sienna!

Also finally installed my Ultra Racing 19mm rear sway to supplement the TRD rear sway. Another fantastic improvement. Well, a shop had to actually install this, the bolts for the existing sway needed to be heated to get them loose. Does the lower front 3 point also make such a big difference? I was debating this one.

It was like driving a new car this weekend, fell in love with my Rolla all over again. 11 years and still going strong. Only 110k kilometers.

No if I could only get all the minor door dings and scratches out! Body work is so expense in Canada.
I think more and more people are beginning to discover Quantum Solenoids. I installed them on my 2017 Corolla iM 6MT and they made a very noticeable difference. I have the UR 19mm RSB too and I love the combination. I also have the front 3 point chassis brace and that helps tighten the front end up too.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Your exhaust is so shiny! Is that a full catback? I only have the borla axel back. Been hesitant on a header and the rest of the exhaust, I don’t want it too loud.

Does the 3 point make a noticeable difference like the rear sways do?

·
Premium Member
Corolla 2010 Basic
995 Posts
I have a full exhaust and a header, you can hear the sound, if you're doing autocross or take sharp turns, yes the 3 point strut bar will make a difference, below the video of my full Borla exhaust.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have a full exhaust and a header, you can hear the sound, if you're doing autocross or take sharp turns, yes the 3 point strut bar will make a difference, below the video of my full Borla exhaust.

What header do you have? It removes the primary cat correct? Did you add a resonator or anything? I beleive a read somewhere that you can add a larger resonator to get rid of the rasp from the header.

15141 - 15160 of 15165 Posts