Toyota Nation Forum banner

3061 - 3080 of 3109 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Finally Lowered!

Lowered on D2 Springs a few days ago and removed all the mud guards and such (scrapes my driveway going in and out so had to remove them) , Love the look though! Next is some wheels, Any suggestions?

Also had to change the battery a few days ago as well. Somehow it crapped out with no warning. Put in one of those absorbed glass mat (AGM) technology batteries. Going to be doing some more music install in future and figured why not get a nice battery since I had to buy one.

Also out of warranty a few days ago as well. 5yrs strong with the rolla! Which also means I should have just hit 5 yrs on the forums!

Cheers

Attachments

·
Registered
38 Posts
Replaced factory horn for 25$ - easy and totally worth it!

I've been stuck indoors due to a broken big toe lately, so I turned to the Corolla to distract me! I ordered the Hella Twin Trumpets from Amazon . Bought some 16awg wire and some connectors for like 5$ and went to town.

Super easy and clean job. There is a another threaded hole for the 2nd horn already there on the left side that fits the same size bolt as the original horn.

Now, the horn sounds like a large american sedan instead of a wimpy mini clown car :wink: You barely notice the red due to the grill design.

Attachments

·
Registered
38 Posts
Replaced factory mats with 3d custom liners

I live in Quebec so winter is ruining the floors of my 2015 Rolla and the OEM winter mats just don't cut it. My favorite option was the Tux Mats, but at 200$ + tax, I thought it was too much.

I settled on what seems like an excellent compromise at 100$. 4 seasons, weatherproof, waterproof, salt proof, bomb proof etc.... Findway.ca makes these really great 3d custom mats. They look and feel like fabric carpet, but they are made of plastic fibers from what I understand and are 100% washable with a hose or pressure washer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJ5kCN1fwBY

The only disadvantage I see over the Tux Mats is the sides don't go up as high. But if I rely on the salt stains left on the original floor carpet, I don't need more than what the Findway mats provide - about a couple of inches.

The material and construction is top notch. The fit is EXCELLENT. The reviews online are mostly old, so people complain about the rear portion which comes in 3 pieces - but now, it comes in ONE piece (well at least for the 11th gen Corolla). Older models did not have the rubber addons for the driver's heels - but now they come with heel protection as well.

My only complaint is about the gas/trunk release area which is not super well fitted and the driver's side has holes for the mats clips where water/slush could slip in. I will cover those when winter comes.

I like them so much, I will keep them in the car year round!

Attachments

·
Registered
38 Posts
Replaced OEM fog lights with LEDs - not just for looks!

I did not like the yellowish tint of the OEM fogs, plus for me they barely provided any real life extra light to improve night vision.

Got these LEDs at half price on Amazon Canada via Vipon.

Installation was a breeze. The color is pretty much the same at the LED headlights. And these are BRIGHT! They do actually light up the road straight ahead and increase visibility a LOT on the sides (which is also the purpose of functioning fog lights). Very useful for seeing potholes better, animals or kids on the side of the road, etc.

Only downside (and that comes with the cheap price I suppose) is you can hear the heatsink fans a bit if you stand close to the front of the car. But I drive inside, so I don't care >:D

Attachments

·
Registered
38 Posts
Painted rear drums

Thank you $#%&@ Quebec winter for rusting everything! Drums looked like crap. I was surprised how much rust came off just by using a wire brush on a drill!! Good opportunity to thoroughly clean the rear brakes as well... I wasn't sure which color to go... I went with silver/grey which is the same color as front OEM calipers (these don't rust at all) and same color as drums when I got the car as well.

Attachments

·
Registered
334 Posts
I've been stuck indoors due to a broken big toe lately, so I turned to the Corolla to distract me! I ordered the Hella Twin Trumpets from Amazon . Bought some 16awg wire and some connectors for like 5$ and went to town.

Super easy and clean job. There is a another threaded hole for the 2nd horn already there on the left side that fits the same size bolt as the original horn.

Now, the horn sounds like a large american sedan instead of a wimpy mini clown car :wink: You barely notice the red due to the grill design.
I need to do this.

Thank you $#%&@ Quebec winter for rusting everything! Drums looked like crap. I was surprised how much rust came off just by using a wire brush on a drill!! Good opportunity to thoroughly clean the rear brakes as well... I wasn't sure which color to go... I went with silver/grey which is the same color as front OEM calipers (these don't rust at all) and same color as drums when I got the car as well.
Huh...did your original drums come unpainted, or does the rust just eat through a painted drum? I've been replacing my drums with Centric drums, and they come painted. Maybe your environment just does that to whatever painting process the drum manufacturers use.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I need to do this.

Huh...did your original drums come unpainted, or does the rust just eat through a painted drum? I've been replacing my drums with Centric drums, and they come painted. Maybe your environment just does that to whatever painting process the drum manufacturers use.
Pretty sure the OEM drums are not painted. Mine went trough 3 winters to become that rusted.

I don't think any paint on earth can resist years of wet salt exposure! I once bought brake rotors that are rust proof for another car (and the Corolla calipers do not rust at all)... So I assume perhaps rust proof rotors are available as well, they must cost quite a bit more though.

It was a fun project, I would not mind repeating it every couple of years or so... let's see how long the paint I applied will last though.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Nah, rust proof rotors don't exist [unless carbon fiber], because whatever rust proofing was put on the rotor, is scraped away by the process of braking. It say's rust proof, but only until it's put on and used.
Wow, you're still on your OE drums for three years. I wish I drove that little.
I work from home 100% of the time... I just look at the car depreciating in the garage :wink:

·
Registered
38 Posts
...ok I don't wish I drove THAT little. I don't think I'm alone when I say that driving the car is part of it's maintenance. I hope you at least run it to operating temperature from time to time.
I agree with you. And yes, the vast majority of my rides are not short ones. :grin:

·
Token Aussie
1,760 Posts
Nah, rust proof rotors don't exist [unless carbon fiber], because whatever rust proofing was put on the rotor, is scraped away by the process of braking. It say's rust proof, but only until it's put on and used.
Wow, you're still on your OE drums for three years. I wish I drove that little.
Rust-proof rotors/drums refer to the coatings on the hub and unswept surfaces of the disc (usually paint). There's a difference between rust-proofed rotors/drums and the light coating of corrosion inhibitor sprayed on for storage/transport. With regular use there will be little/no rust on the swept surfaces as it is always being scraped off by the pad/shoe.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
269 Posts
So I ended up replacing the turn signal mirrors to LED switchbacks. Did the front turn signals as well to match up. Got a custom made resistor that is installed in the back turn signal to prevent hyper flashing. Decided to custom make a 25 feet led strip in the trunk. Installed an android system and now the speakers sound a lot better. Want to work on a remote starting kit soon.

Attachments

·
Registered
334 Posts
Rust-proof rotors/drums refer to the coatings on the hub and unswept surfaces of the disc (usually paint). There's a difference between rust-proofed rotors/drums and the light coating of corrosion inhibitor sprayed on for storage/transport. With regular use there will be little/no rust on the swept surfaces as it is always being scraped off by the pad/shoe.

Exactly what I meant. It only fights rust while the rotor is being used.

·
Token Aussie
1,760 Posts
Exactly what I meant. It only fights rust while the rotor is being used.
It's not for the fiction surface though, it's for the rest of it which normally rusts to hell regardless of how much they're used

·
Registered
334 Posts
It's not for the fiction surface though, it's for the rest of it which normally rusts to hell regardless of how much they're used

Here's what EBC does to their plain rotors: they paint the whole rotor, even the friction surface, and you only take the coating off of the area being rubbed by the pad through your initial bedding process. Would I buy it again? Nope.

·
Token Aussie
1,760 Posts
Here's what EBC does to their plain rotors: they paint the whole rotor, even the friction surface, and you only take the coating off of the area being rubbed by the pad through your initial bedding process. Would I buy it again? Nope.
Because it is easier to just coat the whole thing and let the pad take away only what is necessary. If you're concerned about contaminating the pad then just run an old set for a few miles

·
Registered
38 Posts
So I ended up replacing the turn signal mirrors to LED switchbacks. Did the front turn signals as well to match up. Got a custom made resistor that is installed in the back turn signal to prevent hyper flashing. Decided to custom make a 25 feet led strip in the trunk. Installed an android system and now the speakers sound a lot better. Want to work on a remote starting kit soon.
Nice! What Android unit did you settle on? Looks like the one from GTA Car Kits.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Earlier, I was talking about rust proof coated rotors, not painted ones...

3061 - 3080 of 3109 Posts