Toyota Nation Forum banner

3101 - 3120 of 3120 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Toyota Corolla
156 Posts
You must not have ever installed lowering springs or a front strut brace. If you had you would have seen the pop out for checking/adding brake fluid. :ROFLMAO:
No. I don't want to bother with lowering an already low car. My 99 intrepid had a ground clearance of 5 inches and I cringed everytime it scrapped over these high speed bumps we have in my country for the winter time. Eventually I'll have to replace the suspension and that, hopefully, will be easier than doing it on my old rust bucket

·
Diehard Rams Fan
20,474 Posts
No. I don't want to bother with lowering an already low car. My 99 intrepid had a ground clearance of 5 inches and I cringed everytime it scrapped over these high speed bumps we have in my country for the winter time. Eventually I'll have to replace the suspension and that, hopefully, will be easier than doing it on my old rust bucket
The Corolla is an already low car? :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: You can fit your fist between the finder and top of the tire. It's ;ike a 4x4 in stock form. I don't like a slammed car but I do like it to look like it should have come from the factory. :)

·
Registered
2014 Corolla
58 Posts
I actually did this yesterday, but I replaced the studs in the thermostat housing. One of them fell off. The exposed part of the stud and the nut were rusted.

·
Diehard Rams Fan
20,474 Posts
I checked the air pressure in my tires. With the temps dropping I knew they would need some extra air pressure.

·
Diehard Rams Fan
20,474 Posts
I finally got around to installing the fog lights on my 2017 Corolla iM. When I compared the OEM cover to the fog light cover the fog light cover can be seen through. The downside of this is that the silver paint can be seen throwing off the appearance.

To solve this problem I made a template.

Then cut out black vinyl to cover the silver paint behind the fog light grill.

Here is the fog light installed with the black vinyl.

With the cover installed all is black behind the cover.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I finally got around to installing the fog lights on my 2017 Corolla iM. When I compared the OEM cover to the fog light cover the fog light cover can be seen through. The downside of this is that the silver paint can be seen throwing off the appearance.

turned out quite nice.. like that you did the black background..

·
Registered
2016 Toyota Corolla
156 Posts

Should of just painted it black. That vinyl will start peeling eventually

·
Diehard Rams Fan
20,474 Posts
Should of just painted it black. That vinyl will start peeling eventually
And what is eventually? 5 years? 10 years? Painting would have been a bigger PITA and could more easily chip from road debris. I prepped the surface and this is extremely sticky vinyl that is rated for aircraft use. It's also much thicker than every day vinyl so I'm sure it will be okay. Plus it's behind the fog light housing so I'm sure it will be fine. Worst case scenario is it's easily replaceable so no worries about it to be honest.

·
Registered
2016 Toyota Corolla
156 Posts
And what is eventually? 5 years? 10 years? Painting would have been a bigger PITA and could more easily chip from road debris. I prepped the surface and this is extremely sticky vinyl that is rated for aircraft use. It's also much thicker than every day vinyl so I'm sure it will be okay. Plus it's behind the fog light housing so I'm sure it will be fine. Worst case scenario is it's easily replaceable so no worries about it to be honest.
Depending on the adhesive and weather 3-5 years. Not sure what aircraft grade vinyl is since aircraft's are painted and don't use vinyl...

·
Registered
2016 Toyota Corolla
156 Posts
If you use 3M tape and clean the surfice with rubing alcohol the adhesive should last roughly 8 years before it starts peeling off

·
Super Moderator
2006 Corolla XRS
5,613 Posts

Very clean work. Why was it necessary to use a template? Is the vinyl that rigid?

·
Diehard Rams Fan
20,474 Posts
Depending on the adhesive and weather 3-5 years. Not sure what aircraft grade vinyl is since aircraft's are painted and don't use vinyl...
The difference is that aircraft vinyl is thicker and much more durable. The adhesive is much better too. While most larger planes use paint, many smaller planes use this type of vinyl.

·
Diehard Rams Fan
20,474 Posts
If you use 3M tape and clean the surfice with rubing alcohol the adhesive should last roughly 8 years before it starts peeling off
I did properly prep the surface before applying the vinyl so I expect it to last for 10+ years. My car is also garaged so that will help it last even longer. I don't expect to ever have to redo it.

·
Diehard Rams Fan
20,474 Posts
Very clean work. Why was it necessary to use a template? Is the vinyl that rigid?
I used it to make sure that it looked clean even though you don't see it. And yes, the vinyl is much thicker and rigid. I use a heat gun to warm it up and allow it to flex better when applying it.

3101 - 3120 of 3120 Posts