·
Registered
'21 Corolla Apex SE - 6mt - 👽
2,003 Posts

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
What performance improvement does the throttle body spacer provide?
Its marginal like most bolt ons (especially on n/a engines) - ideally it will give more time for air to cool & increases air flow before the throttle body - works hand in hand with an aftermarket air intake... a few WHP if I had to guess - or so it did on my 8th gen Si.

Edit: it will also make the intake louder :)

Reactions: elkofcanada

·
Registered
166 Posts
Honestly, I don't know if it provides performance gains, as I have not installed it yet. Ideally, installed with a good intake, it will allow some more space for air to cool after MAF sensor and better overall airflow directly into the engine from the intake with more direct flow and less turbulence, leading to better throttle response. The engine and intake was designed initially for economy and ease of maintenance, not performance. I am ok with taking a bit of a gamble on it actually improving anything but also looking cool.

In practice, have no effin' clue if it works, as I have not installed it yet, and just going by internet claims and purdy looking billet part/color. Haha. Couple of pages back you can read comments from somebody who actually has it installed already.

For somebody who is looking to do a single, cheap modification,that totally improves this car and makes it so much more fun to drive, I would recommend a Progress Technology Rear Sway bar replacement as the first upgrade instead: Progress Technology, 62.2152, rear anti sway bar, 2019 Toyota Corolla, C-HR Rear

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Honestly, I don't know if it provides performance gains, as I have not installed it yet. Ideally, installed with a good intake, it will allow some more space for air to cool after MAF sensor and better overall airflow directly into the intake with more direct flow and less turbulence, leading to better throttle response. The engine and intake was designed initially for economy and ease of maintenance, not performance. I am ok with taking a bit of a gamble on it actually improving anything but also looking cool.

In practice, have no effin' clue if it works, as I have not installed it yet, and just going by internet claims and purdy looking billet part/color. Haha. Couple of pages back you can read comments from somebody who actually has it installed already.

For somebody who is looking to do a single, cheap modification,that totally improves this car and makes it so much more fun to drive, I would recommend a Progress Technology Rear Sway bar replacement as the first upgrade instead: Progress Technology, 62.2152, rear anti sway bar, 2019 Toyota Corolla, C-HR Rear
Dont doubt your purchase... a spacer with an intake WILL increase gains its proven + it'll really compliment the intake sound. I shall be getting one as well just have some other mods to wrap up 1st.

·
Registered
2019 Toyota Corolla SE Hatchback
56 Posts
The spacer I've been told gives you 5 horses... But the main reason I got it was for the acceleration factor. It's an easy install, just make sure you put the spacer in the correct position for a good seal. It is possible to put it in upside down etc. If you don't get a good seal on it, it will give you an engine light and even put the car in limp mode.

This was from other guys I talked to who mistakenly put the spacer in the wrong position. Don't over tighten the bolts.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
The spacer I've been told gives you 5 horses... But the main reason I got it was for the acceleration factor. It's an easy install, just make sure you put the spacer in the correct position for a good seal. It is possible to put it in upside down etc. If you don't get a good seal on it, it will give you an engine light and even put the car in limp mode.
This was from other guys I talked to who mistakenly put the spacer in the wrong position. Don't over tighten the bolts.
That's a myth. In reality it extends the air flow after TB and could mess with the A/F calculation as MAF is shifted away from its intended position...

Haven't put it on the car yet, but just got my GGP throttle body spacer in the mail. Nice machining and color! Looking forward to installing, but need to find my silicone 0-ring grease.

It's purdy!
If you are lucky, you will not loose any HP. Otherwise the spacer gains are +0.0001 HP...

This is sooo sad to me that they rip off unsuspecting buyers. It is almost no different than the intake air swirly gadget that was sold in 90s:

Tableware Dishware Product Plate Triangle

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Well... I think my 0-60 stats say otherwise but hey to each their own.
The spacer alone made it a 14-second car? I am placing an order for two now! ;)

I thought you had intake, exhaust and tune done to make it so?

• Haha
Reactions: Cambam

·
Registered
2019 Toyota Corolla SE Hatchback
56 Posts
Where did I say that??? I said it improved acceleration. 0-60 times.

Those numbers are WITHOUT the tune. I've already said this.

It's winter in Canada, those numbers are also with WINTER tires on. Is there an issue here? Like WTF

1601 - 1620 of 1689 Posts