Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,186 Posts
Two weeks ago, I replaced both of my fender liners (comparison below) because they had holes in them and were missing clips and were ragged out. This past weekend I ordered an OEM splash guard from Anthony in Newnan Georgia who gave me a discount, along with the clips. I also fixed the headlight problem I had and a rear speaker. I also cleaned my cup holders and middle console completely. Then, Tuesday I got the splash cover (my old one must have fallen off 100,000 miles ago?) and installed it and everything was perfect. Now I've got all my splash guards on so rain doesn't splash on my belt and cause my car to die. I also need another clip that fell out of the right splash guard. Not really much left to do on my car. I need a new bumper cover and a middle console and that'll be it.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
4,186 Posts
The OEM Corolla clips are crap. You need the Camry clips. They are much better quality and stronger.

Best price available here:

http://www.clipsandfasteners.com/Toyota_Radiator_Splash_Shield_Push_Type_Retainers_p/a21294.htm

I keep a box at all times. You never know who will need them and I am currently on my 3rd box with all the cars I service.
Will the Camry clips fit my OE corolla holes? When I ordered the liners- I got them from a third party, both the push ones and the square ones (not sure of the technical name. Grommet maybe?). But with the splash shield, since I went OE since my driver one was still OE, I went ahead and ordered the OE clips as well. Do you think the third party clips would be better than the OE ones? If so, I'll order more of those. I think for a box of fifteen of each kind it was 5.00$, 9.00$ shipped.

·
Premium Member
4,186 Posts
New floor mats , and put LED strip on fog light cover which didn't turn out the way I hoped it would. Anyone know where I could get LED fog lights ?

In case you were still wondering, OEM fog light housing are 188$ EACH at discount. Most of us just have a full set of aftermarket ones that were usually less than fifty,but aren't as good quality.

·
Premium Member
4,186 Posts
Earlier this week I installed my cruise control switch that another forum member had gotten for me, the hole was rough so I finally fixed that today, also today I received and installed my intermittent wiper blade switch from Vanagon40 from his part out. I'll be looking at buying a new center dash piece soon, to fix my broken one, and sending my clock in to be permanently repaired on eBay.

·
Premium Member
4,186 Posts
Charlie, do you mean aftermarkets that are ~$50 but match the OEM housing shape? Or just some aftermarket universal ones that one has to fudge into place?

I meant the aftermarket ones that are already in shape. Also, make sure he gets the correct set that correlates with his year. Remember that the bumper change was 2004-2005 models, and mine is the newer, more curved one.

SaGa, I'd imagine having to cut ones to fit would be quite the little hassle on our cars man! Couldn't imagine doing that! No offense meant.

·
Premium Member
4,186 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,186 Posts
Getting tints on my 06 S in the next hour.

Thinking of doing 30-35% for front two windows and 20-25% for back three windows.

In CA, it's basically illegal to tint the front driver side or passenger side windows but see soooo many blacked out cars so I'm just gonna get it done and cross my fingers. So many people have near limo tint all around here so I think I'll be okay 30-35% in front two windows.

The sun in CA is way too extreme, my car sits in an outdoor parking lot for work, there are literally no spots with shade. So I gotta get it done! Can't wait to see it after, I think phantom gray will look amazing with window tint. $200 for quality 3M.

I live in Florida and have 5% all around! even on the windshield. I have a medical exemption for sunscreen on my car so I don't get fined, or points for the tint. Check your state laws on exemptions.

·
Premium Member
4,186 Posts
Did my oil and transmission service Tuesday. I may have over torqued the last filter I installed because it did not want to come off AT ALL, so I had to get an adjustable wrench from wal-mart and use it. Returned it the next day for a refund. Hehe.

·
Premium Member
4,186 Posts
Your car looks nice! Are those 15" or 16"? If I find a set of alloys at the right price I may cave and put them on the Matrix.

Today i sanded and buffed the headlights on the Matrix, using the 3M kit with drill attachment:

The before picture is also pre-fog lights, so I cheated a bit on the comparison :)

I've never been a fan of hatchbacks, but matrix's always opened my eyes. I'm really liking the mods you've done so far. Like you said about the fog lights, I did mine on my corolla mostly for aesthetics, and on both mine and your car, IMO, they just make it look so much better. You're doing a great job with it man. Now for some real rims. Hehe.

·
Premium Member
4,186 Posts
I did this a year ago, but never mentioned it. I swapped my trunk bulb for two LED strips. It uses half the power and is much brighter. I can leave my trunk open for hours and not have to worry, whereas before, it would make starting somewhat difficult for the car.

·
Premium Member
4,186 Posts
First brake fluid flush today @ 97,000 miles, (I know, I know) Was hesitant to try this on my own, but no real issues. (but took awhile longer than expected) Brakes work the same as before, but the clutch seems to be a bit more linear.

What would happen if air had gotten in the system?

It would be very squishy pedal action. You would push it down and it'd go slowly and take a while to come back on it's own, if at all.

·
Premium Member
4,186 Posts
Got my airbag sensor re-calibrated at Miracle Toyota. Only cost 83$! I was very happy with the service. I also picked up oil and a filter (OEM oil and filter) at a discount! I am not even sure why he gave me a discount. I mentioned being on a forum and a toyota dealer in Georgia gives us a discount and he asked how much and I said like 20% and that is what he gave me. Could have been for loyalty too. Everyone was appalled to see 260,101 miles on my odometer.

Will be doing an oil change soon and am currently on the hunt for some OEM S headlights and a new bumper cover.

EDIT: Thought I would mention this to anyone who is looking into replacing their broken storage door piece. I talked to the man who performed my service about all the things I fixed and that my car had and he said that even though I replaced the storage piece, I could expect it to break again. He said he has seen many broken ones and would not doubt my new one will break. I have had no problems with my replacement so far though. Just a thought to anyone who was considering it. I asked if he though that they changed the design on them and he just shook his head.

·
Premium Member
4,186 Posts
Thanks, didn't seem squishy the few miles driven so far, so hopefully OK.

Also, the rubber covers for the bleed valve were missing or disintegrated. I am assuming they are important? Are they universal, or should I get them from the dealer?

Thanks again!!
Well, yeah. Usually they wont cause a problem if they are missing. (I have seen many cars at the shop that were missing them and never had problems) but I would get them, just in case. Especially depending on the environment that your Corolla is driven in. My dealer locally gave me a good discount today on some parts, not sure if yours is the same. Also, you could talk to Newnan Toyota on the forum, his name is Gary and he gives discounts on parts too.

-Hope this helps

·
Premium Member
4,186 Posts
Did the 5,000 mile oil change, I skipped the transmission fluid since I have changed it good the last couple of times. Just a helpful hint or tip, I cleaned the mounting plate around where the bottom (rubber gasket end) of the oil filter goes. I did not get it all the way clean, however, in the photo below, you can see where it used to be.

http:/[URL=http://s1110.photobucket.com/user/cameoel/media/Mobile%20Uploads/BDF7DD68-16C4-45EE-935A-CA58AA664B9C.jpg.html][/URL]

And just another photo to show the difference. I am not sure whether that is dried rubber gasket, or burnt oil.

http:/[URL=http://s1110.photobucket.com/user/cameoel/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2E7F3690-F870-430A-AB17-0ABCD5A0A458.jpg.html][/URL]

·
Premium Member
4,186 Posts
Good to know. Mine is broke I course and I've been meaning to get around and ordering a new one. Also in looking for headlights as well. Guess we are in the same boat. I'm tired of the boring dull non S headlights. Plus their super hazy and I rather just buy a new set. Where did you order yours from?

Mine have been bad since my Mom bought the car. Then I got them re-done when I got the car painted in August 2011 I believe. They have actually held up fine until about August of 2013, now I have a cracked housing, and they are peeling bad. There was another pair for 110$ but I will pay another 40$ for lifetime warranty any day of the week. I will do a DIY on them, and you can see them on my car when I install them, so you will know if you like them or not. Here they are. Mine will be here tommorow. http://www.1aauto.com/toyota-corolla-headlight-pair/i/1alhp00576

:welcome:

·
Premium Member
4,186 Posts
Finished the brakes. I think I broke even. There is a scraping or grinding sound when I make a right turn, going a certain speed, but it is only for a second. Not sure what it is.

Found it! When I was uninstalling the bracket, it happened to push itself upwards into the backing plate, and bent it, causing a kink (bend) down the back running along the rotor. That's why, the sound was only on the right side, as I drove it more, the sound went away, still makes it when I turn. I don't want to risk breaking the plate or damaging the rotor, so I'll just leave her be.

1 - 20 of 96 Posts