Toyota Nation Forum banner
2201 - 2220 of 2257 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Got hit on December 27th going to work. Took the car to get the estimate for insurance and seems like Total Loss division is handling it. Really sucks that I am gonna be out of a car, especially this car. Also sucks, that this is the thing that puts an end to this car. Car still runs and drives great.

May part some of the stuff I have on the car out. If there is anything in particular yall would be interested in.
This is a real bummer. What was the estimate from the shop in terms of parts that need to be changed to make it road worthy?
Can you take the money from the insurance company and just use JY parts to fix it up yourself?

·
Registered
20 Posts
View attachment 341788

Installed an Erisin ES8112C andriod HU Pretty dope for what it is.....
Hi how do you like this setup? Does it fit perfectly in the dash? Does it have Apple Car Play? I have the original Toyota deck in my 06 Matrix, and I love the clean look of original stuff, but I can’t get past the lack of technology even for an old guy like me. I have one of those blue tooth fm transmitters, but there is a bit of quality loss I believe. Thanks!

·
More Fun in the Dirt
2005 Corolla
154 Posts
This is a real bummer. What was the estimate from the shop in terms of parts that need to be changed to make it road worthy?
Can you take the money from the insurance company and just use JY parts to fix it up yourself?
I thought about it, but with how little I am getting, the time and effort to try and fix it isn't gonna be beneficial. Just gonna have to take this as a loss on a very good car.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
I thought about it, but with how little I am getting, the time and effort to try and fix it isn't gonna be beneficial. Just gonna have to take this as a loss on a very good car.
Would you benefit from a part out? Just will take some time, and corollas aren't as popular as the honda counterparts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yeah, I am fine. Just bummed about losing the Corolla due to another driver's incompetence
Sorry to learn about your car. It looks like you had a lot of fun with it, but it is good to hear that you are fine.

Have you tried multiple rounds of negotiation with the insurance company? I've read in other forums about rejecting first offers and negotiating for more money when cars are totaled. With the inflated car prices right now, perhaps you could find some comparible vehicles' recent sale prices that are higher and use that info to argue for more money.

only worthwhile parts on the car I put on the for sale post, I am gonna add some more, I got a assortment of parts and spares at my dads place. I just need to go pick them up.
I can't reply to the sale post, and I can't figure out how to send a private message for the parts that you have for sale. I am interested in the tow hook, skid plate, clockspring, and tc aux plug.

Can you direct message me or allow replys to the part-out thread?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Changed man trans fluid today, added MT-90. Had the car for about 2k miles and no idea if/when previous owner changed it. Didn’t really make a difference unfortunately. Im getting resistance half way through the shifts, like it catches on something when I go first to second, second to third, etc. Might be fine but doesn’t shift at all like my 02 CRV with 225k miles, that shifts like a dream.

·
Administrator
マズダスピード3
16,246 Posts
Changed man trans fluid today, added MT-90. Had the car for about 2k miles and no idea if/when previous owner changed it. Didn’t really make a difference unfortunately. Im getting resistance half way through the shifts, like it catches on something when I go first to second, second to third, etc. Might be fine but doesn’t shift at all like my 02 CRV with 225k miles, that shifts like a dream.
Check your shifter cable bushings at the transmission. Those are probably worn out.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Check your shifter cable bushings at the transmission. Those are probably worn out.
Ok, did some you tubing and I think I found it, two cables coming out of the firewall, with two bushings on them? This could be my issue….

I went out in the garage and took some pics of what I think are the bushings. If these are them, what’s a good way to check them, visually? Or just go ahead and replace them? Photos attached.

Attachments

·
More Fun in the Dirt
2005 Corolla
154 Posts
Ok, did some you tubing and I think I found it, two cables coming out of the firewall, with two bushings on them? This could be my issue….

I went out in the garage and took some pics of what I think are the bushings. If these are them, what’s a good way to check them, visually? Or just go ahead and replace them? Photos attached.
You can grab them and wiggle them. If there is a lot of play and feel loose then they most likely need to be replaced.
I bought the solid bushing inserts off MonkeyWrenchRacing and they have been fantastic. Took like 4 minutes to install them.

·
Administrator
マズダスピード3
16,246 Posts

Yeah the rubber and metal insert will wear in the center. That’s where the slop occurs.

The slop can also come from the shifter shaft. When you disconnect the shifter cables, operate the shifter shaft by hand and feel for any signs of issues.

·
Registered
20 Posts
You can grab them and wiggle them. If there is a lot of play and feel loose then they most likely need to be replaced.
I bought the solid bushing inserts off MonkeyWrenchRacing and they have been fantastic. Took like 4 minutes to install them.
Thanks! I went ahead and ordered them, I’ll keep you posted!

·
Administrator
マズダスピード3
16,246 Posts
Thanks! I went ahead and ordered them, I’ll keep you posted!
Mine didn’t last long. They wore on the inside bore. The shifter shaft guide pin wobbles. At least it did on mine. I replaced the mwr ones with torque solutions Delrin bushings.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts

Yes! Those are it, they look passed their prime, hopefully that resolves your issue. Also this is probably a preference thing, but weighted shift knob increased the quality of my shifting experience

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi how do you like this setup? Does it fit perfectly in the dash? Does it have Apple Car Play? I have the original Toyota deck in my 06 Matrix, and I love the clean look of original stuff, but I can’t get past the lack of technology even for an old guy like me. I have one of those blue tooth fm transmitters, but there is a bit of quality loss I believe. Thanks!
Does your matrix have jbl amp and sub? The head unit that I bought is really awesome. Its pretty much set up like an android phone but there is one problem. This particular head unit is meant for certain Toyota factory plugs. I have the jbl upgraded system and I knew I might have problems. I bought it anyway and since I used to do car audio knew I could figure it out. I ended up having to bypass the amp and install a new one. My factory plug might be different so it didnt fit into those black plugs.....I could go on about how I had to make mine work but...... In the description it says corolla 2000-2006 corolla ex 2000-2011. So if you dont have an amp and you have the same factory plug as those corollas then its just plug and play. The easiest install ever. Just plug your factory plug into the black plug on the back of the radio and you're almost ready to go. I have no idea of knowing if that will work or not because I have never seen the back of a non Jbl matrix radio....so buy at your own risk.... As for the fit is perfect. The front panel size is 100mm(H)*200mm(W)) There are other radios on alibaba the same size that have the more typical wiring harness set up if you dont want to risk the plug and play unit. Just make sure it has 4gigs of ram and at least px5 chip. Android auto works really well. Wired and wireless. I have never tested carplay. Its says it is built in. Just plug usb plug in. I dont know about wireless because it doesnt say its supports wireless auto but mine works when I have bluetooth and wifi on. I love the radio and you cant really beat it for the cost. Good luck.....
Nipper Line Circuit component Round-nose pliers Font

·
Token Aussie
1998 AE102 sedan, 2006 ZZE122 wagon, 2018 ZRE182 hatch
2,630 Posts
Supercheap had an Australia Day 25%-off sale the other week so I stocked up on a few things I've been meaning to address on the wagon, had a bit of a run-around getting all the parts in one store for Click-and-Collect (can't trust online stock levels it seems), got around to addressing most of them over the weekend

First was a replacement aerial as the factory one was starting to disintegrate, although in my mind I pictured 10cm being much longer than it ended up being so now it looks my aerial shrunk in the wash (tiny bee-sting of a thing). Reception around town is still fine and I don't use the radio that much on long drives so can't be bothered going for a longer one.

Next was the gearbox oil, there's a persistent crunch going in to 3rd when the gearbox is cold (regardless of engine temp) unless the revs are absolutely perfect or you shift slower than a wet weekend. Drained what was there and it didn't look that bad (good colour, no sparklies) but gave it a fresh gulp of Castrol VMX-M along with a tube of Penrite shift-eze (I normally use Nulon but SCA don't stock that anymore), so far no luck in eliminating the synchro crunch but it does seem a little better on cold starts

Speaking of cold starts, also decided that the battery was due for a change as cranking was quite slow and it was close to dying if you left the tailgate open for more than ~half an hour (which I've been doing a lot lately when working on trying to fit the towbar and fix the brakes). Swapped out the old battery for a new Century NS60LSX (wasn't on sale unfortunately so set me back $240), cranks like a mofo now (obviously not keen on testing reserve capacity though).

Also swapped in a new Ryco cabin air filter, because I could. HVAC unit comes from factory with the filter tray but no filter, figured I'd grab one whilst they were cheap and it's only a 2-minute job (one screw to remove the glovebox damper).

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Supercheap had an Australia Day 25%-off sale the other week so I stocked up on a few things I've been meaning to address on the wagon, had a bit of a run-around getting all the parts in one store for Click-and-Collect (can't trust online stock levels it seems), got around to addressing most of them over the weekend

First was a replacement aerial as the factory one was starting to disintegrate, although in my mind I pictured 10cm being much longer than it ended up being so now it looks my aerial shrunk in the wash (tiny bee-sting of a thing). Reception around town is still fine and I don't use the radio that much on long drives so can't be bothered going for a longer one.

Next was the gearbox oil, there's a persistent crunch going in to 3rd when the gearbox is cold (regardless of engine temp) unless the revs are absolutely perfect or you shift slower than a wet weekend. Drained what was there and it didn't look that bad (good colour, no sparklies) but gave it a fresh gulp of Castrol VMX-M along with a tube of Penrite shift-eze (I normally use Nulon but SCA don't stock that anymore), so far no luck in eliminating the synchro crunch but it does seem a little better on cold starts

Speaking of cold starts, also decided that the battery was due for a change as cranking was quite slow and it was close to dying if you left the tailgate open for more than ~half an hour (which I've been doing a lot lately when working on trying to fit the towbar and fix the brakes). Swapped out the old battery for a new Century NS60LSX (wasn't on sale unfortunately so set me back $240), cranks like a mofo now (obviously not keen on testing reserve capacity though).

Also swapped in a new Ryco cabin air filter, because I could. HVAC unit comes from factory with the filter tray but no filter, figured I'd grab one whilst they were cheap and it's only a 2-minute job (one screw to remove the glovebox damper).
Next trans fill, highly recommend redline mt-90. Unless you are in a really cold climate.

2201 - 2220 of 2257 Posts