Toyota Nation Forum banner
41 - 60 of 2257 Posts

·
Registered
1999 Toyota Altezza
391 Posts
Earlier this week I installed my cruise control switch that another forum member had gotten for me, the hole was rough so I finally fixed that today, also today I received and installed my intermittent wiper blade switch from Vanagon40 from his part out. I'll be looking at buying a new center dash piece soon, to fix my broken one, and sending my clock in to be permanently repaired on eBay.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
You can do that clock yourself man! It was my first soldering attempt on a friends parents 03 CE when I was like 16.

the DIY is here. http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/1...1-finally-fix-those-damn-blanking-clocks.html

·
Now Hiring Co-Drivers
2016 Scion FR-S
937 Posts
In case you were still wondering, OEM fog light housing are 188$ EACH at discount. Most of us just have a full set of aftermarket ones that were usually less than fifty,but aren't as good quality.
Charlie, do you mean aftermarkets that are ~$50 but match the OEM housing shape? Or just some aftermarket universal ones that one has to fudge into place?

·
Registered
145 Posts
Fyi, read my post #26 http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/6768034-post26.html above ... I purchased a pair of aftermarkets for $68 with no tax and free shipping. They are OEM fit like most aftermarket parts. Do they provide as good a light pattern on the road as more expensive lamps? I don't know. But they provide decent light, and I now leave them on all the time (they turn on with daytime running lights too). For 1/4 the price I'm not complaining.

·
Lifting forward.
2005 Toyota Matr XRS
360 Posts
Getting tints on my 06 S in the next hour.

Thinking of doing 30-35% for front two windows and 20-25% for back three windows.

In CA, it's basically illegal to tint the front driver side or passenger side windows but see soooo many blacked out cars so I'm just gonna get it done and cross my fingers. So many people have near limo tint all around here so I think I'll be okay 30-35% in front two windows.

The sun in CA is way too extreme, my car sits in an outdoor parking lot for work, there are literally no spots with shade. So I gotta get it done! Can't wait to see it after, I think phantom gray will look amazing with window tint. $200 for quality 3M.

·
Premium Member
4,186 Posts
Charlie, do you mean aftermarkets that are ~$50 but match the OEM housing shape? Or just some aftermarket universal ones that one has to fudge into place?

I meant the aftermarket ones that are already in shape. Also, make sure he gets the correct set that correlates with his year. Remember that the bumper change was 2004-2005 models, and mine is the newer, more curved one.

SaGa, I'd imagine having to cut ones to fit would be quite the little hassle on our cars man! Couldn't imagine doing that! No offense meant.

·
Premium Member
4,186 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,186 Posts
Getting tints on my 06 S in the next hour.

Thinking of doing 30-35% for front two windows and 20-25% for back three windows.

In CA, it's basically illegal to tint the front driver side or passenger side windows but see soooo many blacked out cars so I'm just gonna get it done and cross my fingers. So many people have near limo tint all around here so I think I'll be okay 30-35% in front two windows.

The sun in CA is way too extreme, my car sits in an outdoor parking lot for work, there are literally no spots with shade. So I gotta get it done! Can't wait to see it after, I think phantom gray will look amazing with window tint. $200 for quality 3M.

I live in Florida and have 5% all around! even on the windshield. I have a medical exemption for sunscreen on my car so I don't get fined, or points for the tint. Check your state laws on exemptions.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I live in Florida and have 5% all around! even on the windshield. I have a medical exemption for sunscreen on my car so I don't get fined, or points for the tint. Check your state laws on exemptions.

We're in CA, just bought this car a month ago, I don't know what the tint % is (orig owner had it installed) but they're pretty dark:

Since this is for our son to use down in LA for college, we're going to leave the tint on for now. These are a bit dark for my personal taste, but they were already paid for ...

========

Oh yeah -- what did I do to my car today?

1) Wheel Covers -- last night I found the 5-spoke hubcaps we were looking for. The car had one on it, with two other types of hubcaps on the other wheels. For wheel covers we thought these looked the best for this car -- simple but sporty. If anyone is interested They are style KT-942 and I got them for $30 for the set from the local Autozone in San Mateo. Now I need to find some Toyota emblems to put in the center.

2) Hatch/Glass Struts -- I just replaced the originals with Sachs struts today. The were the same OEM brand as what I pulled off the car, but cost 1/4 of Toyota's discount price. Toyota is charging $90 per strut. I found these online for $26 each for the hatch (SACHS SG329013), and $18 each for the glass (SACHS SG329022). No tax and free shipping. Both the hatch and the glass open smoothly now, and open themselves slowly after I lift them about 1/3 of the way. And no banging at the top like the recall replacements for our 2005 Sienna!

3) Power Mirrors -- I installed power mirrors to replace the manual ones. Since the car is already wired for everything, I just needed to buy a pair of power mirrors, the mirrow switch, and the bezel plate. I Purchased Kool-Vue mirrors new from an online seller, got the switch used on eBay, and picked up a new bezel from the local dealership. They work great (at least for the first day), and the motors are nice and quiet. I am also replacing the door corner covers with the ones that have the tweeter grill so I can house the tweeters when I replace the front speakers with components.

I am nearing completion of the college car cleanup project :)

=========

·
Lifting forward.
2005 Toyota Matr XRS
360 Posts

I ended up going 15 for the three back windows and 30 on the front 2. Looks very nice almost factory looking. The front is nice and dark at night but during the day doesn't look extremely "illegal" or enough to get pulled over. The backs are pretty dark but not completely (depends on lighting). I definitely didn't want to black out my windows, that's asking for it in LA, especially in Burbank, where I work. Cops are everywhere there and strict. A factory looking tint job is what I was looking for, glad I finally got it done - and like I thought, it looks awesome on phantom gray, especially when it hits the sun. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
688 Posts
Changed oil today. Out with the 0W-20 & in with 0W-30 for the summer. Even with the thinner 0W-20 the car didn't burn a drop of oil. Used the slightly larger Camry oil filter for the first time too. Also removed most all of the grill blocks as temps are over 80 degrees now (finally)

·
Lifting forward.
2005 Toyota Matr XRS
360 Posts
I got my windows tinted last weekend and as I was paying the girl was telling me about windshield tinting. So I went back today and got 70% on the windshield. Really finished off the car nicely and makes the tint look even darker. Car is so much cooler (temperature wise).

Also went to an auto body shop and got an estimate for my passenger side mirror to be replaced. Was involved in a minor accident almost 3 years ago and it left my mirror crooked and the glass section taped on, finally getting it replaced tomorrow.

Also taking the rolla to get a tranny flush, synthetic oil change and radiator flush later in the week, and a wash and wax and interior detail this weekend... getting it ready for summer! There goes my tax return.

Reactions: Black007

·
Lifting forward.
2005 Toyota Matr XRS
360 Posts
Got my car hand washed and waxed today at my local detail shop, they did a great job. Paint literally looks brand new besides a little scratch here and there. The metallic flakes really came out in the phantom gray. These crappy iPhone pictures don't even do justice at all. I'm so happy, it looks newer than it did when I bought it in 2011.

Next up? Lowering springs of course (sick of 4x4 suspension lol). Eibach or H&R, I really want ideally a 1.5 inch drop, but don't want to worry about scrapes or having to go 1mph over every speed bump, so I'll probably go with Eibach pro. I was going to get bigger rims to try and fill the gap more (instead of lowering) but id rather spend the money to lower her and keep the stock 6 spokes because I like them anyway and I want a more aggressive stance. Also a trd sway bar is in her future.

Reactions: ToyoLE8

·
Registered
143 Posts
Got my car hand washed and waxed today at my local detail shop, they did a great job. Paint literally looks brand new besides a little scratch here and there. The metallic flakes really came out in the phantom gray. These crappy iPhone pictures don't even do justice at all. I'm so happy, it looks newer than it did when I bought it in 2011.

Next up? Lowering springs of course (sick of 4x4 suspension lol). Eibach or H&R, I really want ideally a 1.5 inch drop, but don't want to worry about scrapes or having to go 1mph over every speed bump, so I'll probably go with Eibach pro. I was going to get bigger rims to try and fill the gap more (instead of lowering) but id rather spend the money to lower her and keep the stock 6 spokes because I like them anyway and I want a more aggressive stance. Also a trd sway bar is in her future.
With a 1.5in drop you will not notice that it is lowered at all. I have H&R Race springs on with 2 inch drop and at first it was alot lower than stock but now, I feel it still has too much gap. Probably about 1 to 1.5 inch of gap still and i have 16 inch rims on too. With springs you will always have a gap, but with coilovers you can adjust to any height you want but coilovers are way expensive tho.

·
Lifting forward.
2005 Toyota Matr XRS
360 Posts
With a 1.5in drop you will not notice that it is lowered at all. I have H&R Race springs on with 2 inch drop and at first it was alot lower than stock but now, I feel it still has too much gap. Probably about 1 to 1.5 inch of gap still and i have 16 inch rims on too. With springs you will always have a gap, but with coilovers you can adjust to any height you want but coilovers are way expensive tho.
The thing is, I plan on adding lowering springs but keeping the stock struts, I know eventually I'll have to replace but my 06 S only has 63,000 miles so hopefully I'll get some life out of stock struts before needing replacement (if I add springs). If I drop too low, I'm afraid it will compromise the stock struts. If I just drop 1.1" (Eibach) or even 1.25" (H&R sport) then I won't worry about scraping or angling on inclines and I'll feel better about my stock struts. I think the biggest drop I'd want is Tein H-techs which drop about 1.8". Maybe I'll go that route. But again, Eibachs seem to have the best feedback, as far as performance goes. The drop is minimal but I'm afraid to drop too low. I just have to give it SOME sort of drop because it seriously has a 4x4 looking suspension, especially in the rear.

Gotta make my decision about what springs I want...

·
Registered
143 Posts
The thing is, I plan on adding lowering springs but keeping the stock struts, I know eventually I'll have to replace but my 06 S only has 63,000 miles so hopefully I'll get some life out of stock struts before needing replacement (if I add springs). If I drop too low, I'm afraid it will compromise the stock struts. If I just drop 1.1" (Eibach) or even 1.25" (H&R sport) then I won't worry about scraping or angling on inclines and I'll feel better about my stock struts. I think the biggest drop I'd want is Tein H-techs which drop about 1.8". Maybe I'll go that route. But again, Eibachs seem to have the best feedback, as far as performance goes. The drop is minimal but I'm afraid to drop too low. I just have to give it SOME sort of drop because it seriously has a 4x4 looking suspension, especially in the rear.

Gotta make my decision about what springs I want...
Well, just take a look at the side shot with the gold wheels i have in my profile to give u an idea of how low i am with the race springs and stock struts. You should be able to go awhile on the stock struts. I lowered mines at 100k and im at 115k and still rides pretty good.

·
Super Moderator
2005 Corolla CE
14,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
Oil change and inspection. I moved over to that new Natural Gas Pennzoil Platinum 5W30.

Seems to sound the same as with Mobil 1 0W30.

My car officially uses no oil between changes with 125K.

Reactions: hoopitup2000

·
Lifting forward.
2005 Toyota Matr XRS
360 Posts
Took my Corolla to the shop to get:

Synthetic oil change
Manual tranny fluid change
Radiator flush

I know my car only has 63,XXX miles but in LA you drive your car kinda hard, lots of stop and go, lots of acceleration to get through traffic, etc...

The shop is close by, was able to walk home. Got a call a few minutes ago, the mechanic went to check the coolant before flushing it, to make sure it needed flush, and it was low, they did a pressure check and found a leak in the radiator. So that's another big expense... I have literally spent $1,000 on my Corolla in the past week and a half (most of my tax return).

The thing that pisses me off is, that radiator was replaced in 2011 when I hit a deer, the front bumper, hood, passenger side headlight and radiator were all changed. They must have used cheap parts at the auto body shop...strange to have a radiator leak on a 3 year old radiator, right?

Good thing is, he will get it done today.

Oh, also I sprayed down the seats with upholstery cleaner, and spot cleaned the headliner, and installed seat covers on the front seats. I've been off work this week, so that's why I've been getting all this car stuff done. I started to let the Rolla go, bringing it back to life.

Reactions: Christy519
41 - 60 of 2257 Posts