Toyota Nation Forum banner

541 - 553 of 553 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,786 Posts
Hey there SimiSu, and welcome to TN! Nice to hear you've been getting a lot from the TN forums.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Installed Michelin Ultra Stealth 21" & 19" windshield wipers.

Fabricated & installed insulation on firewall...repaired some damaged hood insulation.

Put leds in front side lights and door lights.

Cleaned and detailed engine compartment (no water or chemicals - just tons of rags and Spray Nine Cleaner)

Porter Cable - Meguiars 105 > Pinnacle Advanced Finishing Polish > Meguiars Cleaner Wax
Really perked up the Diamond White Pearl

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Picked up a Denso 234-9007 02 Sensor - from Rock Auto. I hope to install it later this week. Read all the diy's but will probably have questions before the install.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Got the water pump, timing belt, knock sensors and harness, spark plugs and coolant bypass hose all changed and all the related gasket and seals. 236k and running strong. Trying out the "adding an extra washer under the valve cover bolts" thing to see if it fixes my valve cover leak issue. Though it was probably only leaking due to my not originally putting on the proper amount of RTV sealant. Just a heads up for you folks out there, the mechanic I had do the work was hesitant to add extra washers with the valve cover bolts because he thought it might cause the covers to crack. It worked of course and is good but, he went and tried the same thing with the final iteration 1MZ-FE w/VVTi and dual throttle bodies. An entire chunck busted off the corner of the valve cover! I looked at and realized the valve covers were slightly different from the 94-99 covers. They were also a bit skimpier than the older ones. Had a valve check done and all my valves were within tolerance, some exhaust valves were on the top end of the tolerance. Have a loud tick when the engine is running so, the mechanic and shop I took it too concluded that the valve springs are worn.

·
Super Moderator
12,786 Posts
Got the windshield replaced last week for $223. The company I went with told me they'd install an "XYG" brand, which is a not too well rated Chinese made windshield. What they actually installed was a "TriVal", which I found out is a subsidiary of Pilkington.

·
You asked for it...
98 Avalon
374 Posts
Computer threw a P0340 code - camshaft sensor bad. No performance symptoms at all, just the light. I changed it out, along with the crankshaft sensor just because the guy threw it in and because the one in the car was original. This got rid of the P0340 and didn't cause any new issues. I tested the old camshaft sensor and it showed infinite resistance. A good one should show somewhere around 2000 ohms, plus or minus about 400 ohms. So definitely bad.

Now I need an AC clutch bearing (really noisy). It looks like I'll need to remove the compressor to get the clutch off, so maybe I should just get a rebuilt comressor/clutch unit while I'm at it. Haven't decided on that yet, this is not something I can do myself, because of the refrigerant. The durn alternator is a bit noisy, too.

·
Registered
14 Posts
TRD Goodies

Recently found this guy off IG and I purchased the TRD goodies for this platform. It'll be a good while before I install the supercharger as my valve springs are worn right now and I generally dont trust throwing any boost on my old and worn daily right now thats at 236k currently. Before and after pics of the stock solara bar vs TRD bar. I have a 96 and there is a relay box directly beneath/next to the driver side strut tower. The bracket does block the trd strut bar from full seating down just by a little bit so I cut a little corner piece off of it so the strut bar could fully seat down. Relay box is currently still zip tied for now but I'll modify it cleanly eventually to not have it ziptied anymore. Before you ask, yes... BIG difference from the stock solara bar, very nicely stiff and solid in the front end of the car now.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
12,786 Posts
Today my Avy stalled as I was entering a supermarket parking lot. It coughed, sputtered, and died. Got someone to help me push it into a parking spot. Tried cranking it and no firing at all. When I got back out, tried it again, and it would start but idled really low RPM and would die if I gave it any throttle. Had my wife come pick me up.

Came back later with my son. We sprayed starting fluid into the intake while cranking it, and it would start and run for a few seconds.

Went and got a fuel pump and installed it in the parking lot. Runs fine now.

·
You asked for it...
98 Avalon
374 Posts
Replaced the DS lower control arm. The car started pulling to the left when the transmission shifted under acceleration, so I jacked it up to see if it needed a ball joint or tie rod end. When I tried to move the wheel, the whole control arm moved - yikes! But it was easy to find - the front bushing was pretty much gone, allowing the wheel to move around quite a bit. Wheel bearing and tie rods were fine.

Ordered both control arms, but only installed the driver side since it was 112 here in Phoenix yesterday. I'll do the passenger side later on since that side isn't showing any symptoms.

It really wasn't that hard of a job - only 6 bolts - although it would've been a little tougher if I had replaced the wheel bearing, that looks like it would require pulling the axle.

7-20-19 Replaced the PS control arm this morning, got it done before the temperature hit 100. It went more quickly this time, although putting the rear bolt back in was still a bit of a pain. Also discovered a split CV boot and that I'll need brake pads soon.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Ditto, if you can, post some pics....👍
Dont know how to comment just yet on forum so I dont know if I'm leaving this post in correct place. But I changed my throttle position sensor. Today will be replacing hood shox stands. New tps didn't fix problem. Car still shifts from 1st to 2nd gear rough and bad gas mileage. Done research and I'm hoping it is a bad shift solenoid. Waiting on parts for egr modulator valve and o2 sensor. Will keep yall posted. I have a 97 Avalon xls

·
Registered
4 Posts
I recently purchased a 96 with front end damage.
Yesterday I removed the bumper cover and fender. Purchased new aftermarket bumper cover, fender, side light, parking light, turnsignal. Tomorrow I will be putting it all back together. Going to use as my daily driver.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Installed Michelin Ultra Stealth 21" & 19" windshield wipers.

Fabricated & installed insulation on firewall...repaired some damaged hood insulation.

Put leds in front side lights and door lights.

Cleaned and detailed engine compartment (no water or chemicals - just tons of rags and Spray Nine Cleaner)

Porter Cable - Meguiars 105 > Pinnacle Advanced Finishing Polish > Meguiars Cleaner Wax
Really perked up the Diamond White Pearl

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Picked up a Denso 234-9007 02 Sensor - from Rock Auto. I hope to install it later this week. Read all the diy's but will probably have questions before the install.
TRD Goodies

Recently found this guy off IG and I purchased the TRD goodies for this platform. It'll be a good while before I install the supercharger as my valve springs are worn right now and I generally dont trust throwing any boost on my old and worn daily right now thats at 236k currently. Before and after pics of the stock solara bar vs TRD bar. I have a 96 and there is a relay box directly beneath/next to the driver side strut tower. The bracket does block the trd strut bar from full seating down just by a little bit so I cut a little corner piece off of it so the strut bar could fully seat down. Relay box is currently still zip tied for now but I'll modify it cleanly eventually to not have it ziptied anymore. Before you ask, yes... BIG difference from the stock solara bar, very nicely stiff and solid in the front end of the car now.
Where could I find a TRD bar like that?

541 - 553 of 553 Posts