16 Posts
After dealing with the stupid ignition switch not wanting to work with my
factory key for months, decided it was time to replace it. Found one on
JC Whitney OEM for $55. Nothing to it it you follow directions on you tube
and google. Took all of 15 minutes.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,485 Posts
Did an oil change. Also need a new radiator, the original is seeping at the top.

The tank was full 3 weeks ago before I took a trip to Houston.

·
it lives..and spins wheel
97 Avalon
613 Posts
^ yeah pm... been my life for past 6 months.... coolant drops about every 3 weeks even if i check it every week LOL..

i personally havent found an external leak.... i think my problem lies with the intake gaskets and coolant draws into the cylinder. or the bank cross over hose might be done(factory OEM) :(

to everyone..

what should i buy this year? coilovers or a stand alone ECM (aka.. mega squirt)

i'm tired of my car handling like an avalon(lulz)

but i'm VERY tired of my pissed off stock ecm,.. and honestly can't ever make it happy ..so i NEED a standalone at some point

also i have tinted front corner lights...should i go full storm trooper and tint the tail/brake lights?

·
97 Avalon
613 Posts
oooh funny story was looking through the engine bay today and the radiator in my car has started seeping from that top section as well..new rad comin soon :facepalm:

·
Registered
4,485 Posts
Yeah that's how I found out. Went to take off the oil filter and I saw the crusty stuff.

Yesterday I was looking at my options for radiator replacements and I think a spectra rad from AutoZone will be the best choice. Lifetime warranty and price is ok. I'm hoping AZ puts out one of the $20OFF a $100 or more coupon soon.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
4,485 Posts
^ yeah pm... been my life for past 6 months.... coolant drops about every 3 weeks even if i check it every week LOL..

i personally havent found an external leak.... i think my problem lies with the intake gaskets and coolant draws into the cylinder. or the bank cross over hose might be done(factory OEM) :(

to everyone..

what should i buy this year? coilovers or a stand alone ECM (aka.. mega squirt)

i'm tired of my car handling like an avalon(lulz)

but i'm VERY tired of my pissed off stock ecm,.. and honestly can't ever make it happy ..so i NEED a standalone at some point

also i have tinted front corner lights...should i go full storm trooper and tint the tail/brake lights?
I don't know much about engine management but coilovers would be a good choice. That paired with a bigger rear sway bar would really transform how the car handles. Just with new struts and a trd rsb, my car handles soooo much better than the before. It takes corners like a champ, even with the very soft power steering.

I remember seeing the tails after you put on a spray paint coat. They looked a tinted there.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
97 Avalon
613 Posts
yeah the ECM conversation is tough...however i found a forum where someone with a 1mz MR2 running off meqasquirt... and was nice enough to upload his fuel map/program...

but thats also $600(a steal for stand alone ecm) and alot of brain hurt...

but cheaper than coilovers lol

both will happen one..day but prob only one this summer....we'll see

nah..my tail lights aren't tinted... i think those pics may look like that from taking pics in my garage at night with no flash lol.....

but i asked one of my friends and he said "nah it'd look like everyone else's "sweet" car"

which i almost agree.. the tinted tails fad is kinda overkilll.....

·
Avarollin?
1996 Avalon XLS
923 Posts
Don't be too jealous, all my knowledge of coilovers are summed up in 10 minutes of youtube videos :lol:

Yeah I have some super stubborn bolts in the rear... caliper assembly is all e'ffed up from the last shop i went to that gave me a "super deal" on replacing the strut mounts back there two years ago.

So now the car sits in the garage overnight because atll the stores are closed and i need a new caliper bolt. eeeh. That's why you shouldn't work on your car during a weekday.

Cause I got nothing else going on until after work tomorrow, I pained the inside and top of the strut towers, you know, to ~feel~ like im doing rust prevention.

·
Registered
4,485 Posts
Ooooo shiny new coilovers.:naughty:

Got my new radiator delivered.

The monthly wash(yesterday), and of course it's raining today.

Cleaned the interior for the first time this year.:D

Got the custom tint in the back.:facepalm:

·
Registered
4,485 Posts
lol yeah, one of these days I'll have it re-done.

Replaced the radiator this morning. It was in good condition overall, except for the crack on the top.

Old radiator out.

New rad in.

Fans kicked on after running the engine at 3K rpm, job done.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
203 Posts
So what was involved in replacing the radiator? Is it pretty much unplug connectors, disconnect hoses and drain coolant, unbolt and remove rad and fan as one piece, transfer fans from old rad to new... install, new hoses, coolant, connect electronics? Any tips or tricks?

I rarely drive the Avalon, but somehow maintenance falls to me. This might be in my future - so if you feel motivated and can do it, take pics and do a separate writeup for us.

·
Registered
4,485 Posts
Yep, that's basically it, except I drained the coolant first. Disconnected the lower hose on the engine side, same for the transmission hoses then swapped them over to the new radiator. Very simple job, 1hr tops.

I also flushed the new radiator with water and brake cleaner in the transmission ports to make sure nothing was clogged.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Thanks, but 1 hour? You are a faster man than me. Would take me a hour just to clean up a work area, get out the necessary tools...LOL

121 - 140 of 553 Posts