141 - 160 of 553 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,806 Posts

·
it lives..and spins wheel
97 Avalon
613 Posts
replaced my shifter/base and put in solid cable end shifter bushings.. and i tell you what.. my right hand feels like it drives a new car! got a awesome u pick junkyard celica shifter for $8...

it's interesting i pulled the shifter from the same generation celica.(90-93)
but they seemed to redesign the shifter assembly in the later years.

this was the base i had before... the shift rod had a good 1/4"+ play in the base.before the cables moved.

heres what i had before

and my "new shifter"

i tore it all apart and rebuilt it with this "off-road/marine" grease from Tractor Supply CO.
it's pretty awesome..repels water(doesn't "wash out") and doesn't smell like lithium grease

and these are my solid shifter bushings from Speed Source.
http://speed-source.net/

it made a world of difference replacing this.. i havent had a miss shift yet. and i can readily clutchless shift at any given point or gear......i love it!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
360 Posts
I did a few fixes today on my car....nothing crazy.

Fixed the Power outlet....again....this time used bulb grease so hopefully it will last allot longer this time.
Also finally fixed the flooding floor problem that came back again. Apparently I had accidentally ripped the entire line out last time, so I installed a new line running out of the car for the AC box.

Lastly my windshield washer squirters stopped spraying and I kept losing water. I initially thought it was old and cracked tank, but had realized it was a silly little rubber "Uturn" they use to attach it to the line that runs up. Easily just strapped in a piece of tubing I had laying around and now that works.

If only I could figure out how the hell to fix my passenger window I think i'd be in business haha

·
Registered
4,486 Posts
I remember when I had a sprayer issue. Turns out mice chewed out the tank and hose to the sprayers. Replaced the tank with a junkyard part and clear hose from home depot (clear=+5hp).

I haven't done much to my car. Last month I finally finished my led conversion, and today I changed the setting on my trd rear sway bar from track to street use. Ride comfort improved. This past weekend I got 3 pairs of audio rcas to replaces the crappy I currently have installed. My plan is to get that done this weekend.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
ClutchColton
1997 Toyota Avalon
32 Posts
Down Stream Oxygen Sensor

Today I replaced a downstream heated oxygen sensor on my 97 toyota avalon. 258k miles. Took me a few hours, trial and error.
1. Removed Passenger captains chair (only 4 bolts, and an electrical connector
2. Removed door trim pieces and seat belt plastic trim pieces.
3. Lifted up carpet to expose the connector for the downstream O2 sensor which is located vertically along the right hand side of the shifter box area. It's not on the floor...more in the corner of the floor and the middle console wall.
4. Lifted up car and broke lose the O2 sensor using a crescent wrench and rubber mallet.
5. Pulled on the grommet that encases the O2 sensor wires leading into the car. With
the grommet out, I pulled the connector out, too; so that it was all hanging down below the car.
6. Took out the old sensor, cut the connector off, clamped the connector wires to the new sensor, and re-installed. The heated O2 sensor was purchased on amazon for $30 something dollars a few months ago.
7. Put everything back in the order it was taken off, and Boom! Engine light gone. :D Happy day! Can't wait to see what's next!

I tried to take video of all of this using a pair of "video camera sunglasses" I purchased off ebay some time back. Pulled out the lenses and placed over my prescription glasses. Very dorky, but it worked!....sort of. Once I figure out how to put it into a video and upload to youtube, I apologize for making any one "car sick." :p
[URL=http://s1309.photobucket.com/user/Clutchcolton/media/Toyota%20Avalon/3c37b7c8-4bc9-40b7-a79f-827129b4e923_zpsf08075f8.jpg.html][/URL]

·
Registered
4,486 Posts
Over the weekend I changed out the RCAs for my sound system with quality JL Audio ones. Sound quality is much better.

Most recent photo of my car. I found this recliner on the side of the highway. Sold it on craigslist lol.

My new favorite wheels. I'm going to save up for them.

·
Avarollin?
1996 Avalon XLS
923 Posts
Those wheels are sweet, I think I looked at the same ones too, or at least a similar style, with white and black spokes. Did the addition of the recliner in the avalon put it into the passenger van category?

·
Registered
4,486 Posts
18" is too big IMO, this one is 17X7. Of course this means I'll have to lower the car again, but this time with the right springs.

Jigg, this one is silver and black. My friend and I got some funny looks with the recliner back there.

·
ClutchColton
1997 Toyota Avalon
32 Posts
Today I replaced a rear broken door snap. The rear door handle, once pulled, would not open the door. You could feel that it wasn't grabbing anything. Upon investigating, the door snap that holds the bar in place for the handle had broken, allowing the bar to pull itself up and out, which was what happened. $2.30 for replacement door snap from dealership. Arrived in two days. 30min or less from start to finish.

^This shows where the door snap goes, notice the one above.

^New door snap from local toyota dealership.
[URL=http://s1309.photobucket.com/user/Clutchcolton/media/Toyota%20Avalon/20130626_1629261_zps9aa51d65.jpg.html][/URL]
^This photo shows the newly installed door snap in place.
I also noticed some of the other plastics in the door were looking brittle. So goes with a 97 toyota avalon! 260k miles.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Front left cv axle went a few days ago. I'm not a mechanic, so a friend of a friend fixed it for me, also had to replacing the ball joint. Charged me $280. How much would shops charge for such a repair?

·
Avarollin?
1996 Avalon XLS
923 Posts
After my horns stopped working for the past week or so, I decided it was time to clean up an awful relay-ridden rats nest I've created over the years.

A lot of "inline" relays i would just slap together to get something working.

Assembly of four relay bases for relocation.

Oh baby.

mmmyeah

For those curious, the relays are as follows:
Air Compressor - Pressure regulation and ignition
Horn Selector - Toggling the air system off from the dash renables the factory horn
Alternator - Switches on the external alternator field generator
Fog Lights - I don't think this needs explanation

141 - 160 of 553 Posts