Toyota Nation Forum banner

2021 - 2040 of 2083 Posts

·
drive hard n drive fast
86 nova/rolla
97 Posts
Any fee to syphon more money put of our pockets..it's just as bad here in BC..

Sent from my SM-N960W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1997 Corolla
4,000 Posts
I don't have a problem with the government taking in money to fund public projects and services, but it would be more fair to increase the gas tax if the funds are going to pay for roads, but the governor wanted to say he didn't raise taxes. He can play this symantics game and claim he didn't raise taxes because some other agency raised this fee. Elected officials should make the case why money should be spent to benefit the community and explain where that money will come from. But I guess we get what we vote for. Politicians that lie to get elected and the citizens don't hold them accountable very often.

·
Registered
94 Corolla DX
1,797 Posts
The stupid fee is the way the governor can say he didn't raise taxes. Just get some agency to impose a fee and not call it a tax. Stupid politics.

How many years has your car been registered in AZ. The fee is supposed to be reduced over time based on when you first registered it
Since 2014 I think.

·
Registered
1997 Corolla
5,326 Posts
Stupid politics.
Stupid politicians.
He can play this symantics game and claim he didn't raise taxes because some other agency raised this fee. Elected officials should make the case why money should be spent to benefit the community and explain where that money will come from. But I guess we get what we vote for. Politicians that lie to get elected and the citizens don't hold them accountable very often.
You have to look at the personality types which gravitate to politics...

·
Premium Member
1994 Corolla DX
4,270 Posts
So I swapped my winters back to all-season last weekend. Because, you know, it really matters what tires the car is equipped with while it's parked in the garage all...the....time.

Anyhow, with the car on jack stands I discovered the rear main seal is leaking a bit more these days, but I'm going to blissfully ignore it.

And... looks like I have a small oil pan gasket leak. I might actually do something about that since it's obviously way easier than the rear main seal even though scraping old FIPG is tedious. @Haloruler64 you did this, right?

So.... time to get a tube of FIPG, a gasket scraper, and have some fun..... Amazon.com: Genuine Toyota Fluid 00295-00103 Formed-in-Place Oil Pan Gasket - 3 oz. Tube: Automotive

·
1996 Toyota Corolla
10,247 Posts
I did! I pulled the pan and resealed it, doing no other work while I was there. Pretty easy. Plastic scraper helps, though I used a razor blade. I really don't have any tips to give, you're the king of proper repairs here. We all know you'll use a torque wrench and genuine Toyota FIPG. Good luck!

I also did the rear main seal on my MR2 but dropping the trans is annoying.

·
Premium Member
1994 Corolla DX
4,270 Posts
Well I’ll be darned. Car sat for a week in the garage unused. With a trickle charger hooked up. And battery only a couple years old.

Went to start it today and cranked just fine - but didn’t fire up. Had to apply throttle and it finally started but ran rough. Stopped it again and started cranking again. Again had to apply throttle to get it to start. This time the idle evened out. Took it for a drive. Ran fine. Stopped it. Started it. No problem. Stopped it and started it again an hour later. No problem.

I will do a number of diagnostics but I am afraid I have to refer myself to the horrible distributor-at-fault thread I created. Yikes

·
1996 Toyota Corolla
10,247 Posts
Considering many of the dizzy issues we see are when warm, I think you're safe. Sounds like the one way valve in the fuel system caused fuel pressure to drain back into the tank? At least this is what I was told by a mechanically inclined friend back when my dad's Miata would do the same. If it sat for a few weeks it would take a lot of cranking before the fuel reached the engine, but if it sat for a few days it would start right up.

·
Registered
1997 Corolla
5,326 Posts
Put one of my old spark plug wires back on. Last night I was almost home and my engine started missing and the CEL came on, and then started flashing! Got home and grabbed my BAFX and phone, (always have a BAFX and a phone...) and OBD2 told me that I had a cylinder #2 misfire, and some O2 sensor code - probably because of the unburned gas from #2 not firing... PO302 Stored and Pending, and 136 Pending.
So I tried to remember where I'd put my old wires, because surely I didn't throw them in the trash. I'd put four decent-looking ones, from the junkyard, on the car right after I got it because it had a miss then too.

I figured that they'd be in the house, and hadn't even started looking for them, when I went out to my brush pile and saw two of them on the ground - last freaking place I would've looked! First, and almost surely the last, time that has happened to me! I figgered that they were inside or under the porch. I sure didn't mean to throw any car parts on the brush pile, so I wonder WTF I was thinking when I threw them there...

So I went and started the 7A-FE and it was still skipping, and the exhaust smelled funny. I then popped the hood and pulled the #2 wire and saw it was eaten up where the clip had been securing it. I checked the spark plug to make sure it was tight, and then put the longer of the old wires on #2.

When I started the engine, it took a couple of minutes, but the idle and the exhaust smell went back to normal, so I shut 'er down and cleared the codes and took it around the block, and it's running fine!

I had been getting these same two codes intermittently, but never felt any symptoms. I wonder if it was that plug wire all along, and if now the car will stop throwing those codes.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Got home and grabbed my BAFX and phone, (always have a BAFX and a phone...) and OBD2 told me
Hey pete ...

How did you able to connect the obd2 in your corolla. As I also have one, its 1994 with 7afe under the hood, but it has old obd1 connector.

I also have a bluetooth obd2 scanner & I wanna hook it with my car to pull live data.

Should I buy that obd1 to obd2 adapeter converter available on ebay ?

Attaching a reference pic

Attachments

·
Registered
1997 Corolla
5,326 Posts
Hey pete ...

How did you able to connect the obd2 in your corolla. As I also have one, its 1994 with 7afe under the hood, but it has old obd1 connector.

I also have a bluetooth obd2 scanner & I wanna hook it with my car to pull live data.

Should I buy that obd1 to obd2 adapeter converter available on ebay ?

Attaching a reference pic
You can't use OBD2 on an OBD1 car. You will need to count flashes of the Check Engine Light. Corollas weren't OBD2 until 1996, or late 1995.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Corolla XRS
8,131 Posts
You could purchase older versions of the snap on obd1 readers these days. In my local area, they run around 300-500$ depending on how complete the kit is. Some kits include the adapters to go from obdII to obdi.

2021 - 2040 of 2083 Posts