Toyota Nation Forum banner

2041 - 2060 of 2083 Posts

·
Registered
1997 Corolla
5,326 Posts
Sometimes I wonder if autozone is trying to go out of business. I usually try to avoid them now.

·
Registered
1997 Corolla
4,000 Posts
Why don't you grab a new negative harness wire from the junkyard? The 8th gens work too, except for the hole in the terminal that bolts to the fender is slightly smaller. (Smaller bolt on 8th gen.) So, you need to expand the hole a little.

I guess one problem is a lot of junkyards just cut the wires to take the battery out faster. I was able to find one a few years ago.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Corolla XRS
8,131 Posts
It is bolted to the trans and the chassis. Under the battery tray.

·
Registered
1997 Corolla
4,000 Posts
It splits. One goes to the fender/strut tower area under the air filter. The other to the transmission.

I like to original type where the battery clamp is fused to the wires. I'm not sure if aftermarket makes any like that.

·
Token Aussie
1998 AE102, 2018 ZRE182
2,094 Posts
One pair of freshly overhauled twin-piston Superstrut brake calipers and Celica pad carriers done and dusted. Was pretty nerveracking installing the dust seal circlip for the first time but got the hang of it by the end. One of the slide pin boots does have a tiny split in it but I figured I'd do more damage removing and replacing it with another fresh one, especially since I don't have a bench vice.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
Guys, I just faced the issue of power pump whining upon cold start & after 5 to 10 minutes of drive, everything went back to normal.
This issue popped out last week, it was fine before that.
Now since last week, upon every cold start power pump whines & the fluid is foaming inside the reservoir.
There is no visible oil leak in the system, all hoses/.pipes are in good nick.
What could be the issue ?

·
Registered
9 Posts

And this is after drive of just 5 minutes. The pump sounds fine now, no whining.

Still you can see bubbles popping out, which is not good at all.

I tried to burp out the air with engine running. But same results.

·
Registered
1997 Corolla
5,326 Posts

This is cold start.
There is a screen at the bottom of the reservoir which keeps dirt from reaching the pump. If the screen gets clogged, it can starve the pump for fluid.

But I've seen them make noise, and then added fluid, and the noise stopped.

These cars seem to be very sensitive to the PS fluid level. So you can try adding some fluid and see if that helps it.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Today I took off the front wheels to inspect the brakes, to my surprise there is still a little meat on the pads (they're now over 65000 km / 40k miles old!!!), however rotors ain't so good, I measured 19,5 mm thickness on the smallest section, I was considering resurfacing, if my sources are correct, minimum spec is 20mm, so when the time comes I will definitely need new ones, they're quite rusty too

·
Registered
9 Posts
There is a screen at the bottom of the reservoir which keeps dirt from reaching the pump. If the screen gets clogged, it can starve the pump for fluid.

But I've seen them make noise, and then added fluid, and the noise stopped.

These cars seem to be very sensitive to the PS fluid level. So you can try adding some fluid and see if that helps it.
I am planning to remove the reservoir to clean that mesh filter inside it & will replace its inlet o-ring as well.

I added around 100ml fluid & the noise went away, but now my main concern is whats the reason behind the bubbles popping out as you can see in the 2nd video.

As in a normal system, there should be no bubbles in the fluid.

·
Registered
1997 Corolla
5,326 Posts
I am planning to remove the reservoir to clean that mesh filter inside it & will replace its inlet o-ring as well.

I added around 100ml fluid & the noise went away, but now my main concern is whats the reason behind the bubbles popping out as you can see in the 2nd video.

As in a normal system, there should be no bubbles in the fluid.
There might be some air in the system due to the fluid level having been low. Check it again in a couple or few days and see if the bubbling/frothing has dissipated.

·
Registered
94 Corolla DX
1,797 Posts

Got these today. El cheapo probably el crappo from RockAuto. Driver's side didn't fit perfectly because the holes for the headlight housing were modified (not by me) and a support thing broke(a clip that the housing goes in to). Also finally replaced the brake pedal pad after several years of needing to have it done.

·
Token Aussie
1998 AE102, 2018 ZRE182
2,094 Posts
And brakes are finally done - had to resort back to my AE101 Superstrut rotors as the new hubs I got installed with the wheel bearings had the old 54mm diameter hub rather than the newer 55/54mm stepped design of the newer AE101/111. Braided lines done on the front too, will do the rears some stage in the near future

Not that it'll be getting driven for a while, rego ran out today and I'm not going to bother re-registering it until the 2ZZ conversion is done and COVID-19 is over (borrowing my mum's old Mazda2 as a runaround in the meantime)

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

2041 - 2060 of 2083 Posts