Toyota Nation Forum banner

2061 - 2080 of 2083 Posts

·
Registered
1997 Corolla
4,000 Posts
It doesn't look the the brake hose is secured to the strut. And did you have a brake fluid leak onto the splash shield?

·
Token Aussie
1998 AE102, 2018 ZRE182
2,094 Posts
It doesn't look the the brake hose is secured to the strut. And did you have a brake fluid leak onto the splash shield?
No the hose is not attached to the strut at the moment because the tab on the strut is too thick to allow the hose to fit in to the slot. Is basically irrelevant as the new coilovers don't have a tab to fit them, and the car isn't getting driven any more

And there are some brake fluid splashes around (dust shield, inner guard etc) as I disconnected the hose with fluid still in the system (couldn't be bothered fully draining it)

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
20 Posts
Well let's see. So far this weekend I took apart the upholstery on the right rear seat to fix the fold down latch then put it all back together. Put some noico soundproofing in the bottom of both front doors, installed some jbl gx402 speakers and reassembled the doors. Removed the drivers seat to clean it. Swapped the old steering wheel for one in much better condition I got on ebay for $40 shipped. Also figured out the problem with the fuel door isn't the cable, it's just missing the spring on the door. And lots of cleaning the interior on this new to me 95 5spd wagon...

·
Registered
1997 Corolla
5,326 Posts
Reset my Check Engine Light. It came on the other night, so today I went out there and pulled the code, which was P0136, and reset the system.

I guess it's time for a new O2 sensor...

·
Registered
94 Corolla DX
1,797 Posts
I removed the rear speakers today... :( Both had woofers that didn't work and one of them had no sound at all. Now I'm going to start looking for new speakers again. They lasted ~4.5 years in the Phoenix heat so I can't complain too much. And they were only something like $50 for the pair.

Also the 3rd brake light housing pretty much disintegrated when I removed it. Sort of sad about that. I'll get over it..... and done. :p

·
Registered
206 Posts
Done the oil and filters replacements. Never did the fuel (diesel) filter on this car before, it's not as simple as the manual makes believe, easiest is to remove the complete assembly and brackets (just 3 12 mm bolts) and work on a vise. I've used an injector cleaning additive, maybe it's just placebo effect but the engine feels smoother.

The air intake hose (after the filter) is cracked and the engine was sounding rougher than usual, I slid a piece of air tube from an old motorcycle wheel to work as a sleeve, it's airtight for now.

There was also a leak on the piping out of the washer fluid reservoir, found a piece of tubing just the right size, and replaced the bad tube.

There is still one job left, timing belt, but that's out of my expertise and tools, it shall be done at a shop, but with the money I've saved today, it won't hurt as bad...

Car is now at 370k Kms and still going strong. To the 400!

·
Registered
94 Corolla DX
1,797 Posts
Yesterday I bought a new fuse holder for my amp(old one started to melt), speaker wire and single 12 box for sub. Installed all that and new plug wires, PCV valve and alternator belt. Today I'm going to install the speakers I got to replace the ones that broke.

·
Registered
Blacktop AE101
89 Posts
I replaced the oil filter plate O-ring on my 4A-GE Blacktop, it was leaking a bit. I went for a test drive afterwards but I forgot to clean the oil filter first, which was obviously covered with oil, so I couldn't see if the oil leak was actually fixed. I drove about 1000km since the last oil change and the oil looks rather clean still, much better than the first time I put oil in it after the swap, it turned black just by leaving the engine running at idle for a few minutes.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I bought a 1995 corolla wagon in baby blue with 73,000 miles on her; her name is Squeex (the letters in her license plate are SQX). She now has 78,500 on her and I’ve done:
Transmission fluid and filter change, 2 oil changes, rack and pinion bushing replacement, front pads and rotors, full brake system flush, timing belt, electric side mirror swap, changed all 4 struts, both wheel cylinders, plugs, wires, cap, rotor, passenger motor mount, Interior detail, and today I cleaned up the contacts on the battery and one of the grounds. Tomorrow I’m cleaning up the other 3 grounds and replacing the fuel filter (wish me luck, It seems like it sucks).

·
You asked for it...
387 Posts
I removed the rear speakers today... :( Both had woofers that didn't work and one of them had no sound at all. Now I'm going to start looking for new speakers again. They lasted ~4.5 years in the Phoenix heat so I can't complain too much. And they were only something like $50 for the pair.

Also the 3rd brake light housing pretty much disintegrated when I removed it. Sort of sad about that. I'll get over it..... and done. :p
My third brake light housing was like that a few years back. I was lucky enough to find a nice one at one at one of those junkyards west of Phoenix in a wrecked Corolla that had obviously spent most of its life in a snowbird's home state. Now it's also becoming white and brittle, so time for another Saturday spent prowling the recycling yards.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Corolla XRS
8,131 Posts
For some odd reason, pull n save seems to have lots of 7th gens.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I'm thinking about going to the yard tomorrow for one. If I find a decent one I'm thinking about painting it. Will that help protect it at all? Plastidip?
I have used plastidip on a few exposed surfaces like door frames and center console. 3 years on and its still fine. It should work for sometime, but phoenix is probably a lot harsher than southern Europe in temps and sun, take this with "a grain of salt". Just make sure to clean and degrease the surface very well, makes a huge difference in adhesion.
If you want to go the extra mile, instead of plastidip, use a paint meant for plastic or use plastic primer and then regular spray paint. It's a lot more work, sanding is necessary, but if well done it shall outlast the car.

·
Registered
1997 Corolla CE
2,711 Posts
One of the guys in a Datsun group I'm in uses Duplicolor Vinyl and Fabric Coating on pretty much everything to great effect. He used it on his plastic door handles too. Not sure how well it holds up, or how long it will last. I'm curious about ways to "restore" plastics, or at least further protect them. I've seen videos of people taking hardened rubber and soaking it in a special witches brew of plasticizer and other stuff to restore the rubber's flexibility. I'd love to try this someday myself.

2061 - 2080 of 2083 Posts