Toyota Nation Forum banner
2621 - 2640 of 2653 Posts

·
Registered
1997 Corolla
5,474 Posts
I can't tell which side of the cotter pin that is, but you need to bend the one side to make it as straight/flat as possible then wiggle/pry/pull/push it out. This doesn't look like it is stuck. A picture from straight "above" the nut might show both sides of the cotter pin better for us.

Reactions: 97tacomaHA

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Looks like the tail end broke off probably. It’s nothing new. Just flatten the pin as much as you can and punch it out. You can use a punch kit if you have one.

Small pliers clipped on the tail and a end of a ratchet to tap it out works well too. Once you get the eyelet side out, a large plier to pull it out easy.

New cotter pins a must. I would especially on a truck, suv, van or large sedan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
I can't tell which side of the cotter pin that is, but you need to bend the one side to make it as straight/flat as possible then wiggle/pry/pull/push it out. This doesn't look like it is stuck. A picture from straight "above" the nut might show both sides of the cotter pin better for us.
he ended up torching it off 🔥🔨
and only burnt & blistered myself once (n)

·
Registered
1997 Corolla
5,474 Posts
he ended up torching it off 🔥🔨
and only burnt & blistered myself once (n)

View attachment 339381
Did the torch just allow him to loosen the nut? It must be because the piece shouldn't come out in that direction. You have to get the nut off then pop it out the other way.

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
Did the torch just allow him to loosen the nut? It must be because the piece shouldn't come out in that direction. You have to get the nut off then pop it out the other way.
he was able to melt the cotter pin end (bright orange dot in pic) enough so that the castle would twist off (with great effort still), then we figured out how to use that pitman puller proper! and it pushed up and out easy
those wrestling and football activities/conditioning he did in high school certainly paid dividends :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: azcorolla and DrZ

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
he was able to melt the cotter pin end (bright orange dot in pic) enough so that the castle would twist off (with great effort still), then we figured out how to use that pitman puller proper! and it pushed up and out easy
those wrestling and football activities/conditioning he did in high school certainly paid dividends :ROFLMAO:
Oh man, looked like a troublemaker. I’ve had a real pressed fit ball joint once that only a modified pitman puller was needed to remove it. Took my angle grinder and shaved about a mil on each leg.

Before this I tried hammering the control arm to pop it off but no dice. I even put half a ton to stand on it but that press fit design was just that well seated. No rust involved as well lol. In the end it was a horror to reinstall it with a short threaded shaft that doesn’t reach all the way out to put a nut on...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,178 Posts

·
Premium Member
1994 Corolla DX
4,786 Posts
Did another 2-car (parked separately at drop-off point / pick-up point) kayak trip this past weekend. 90F and no clouds made for a hot 5-mile paddle through a forest preserve - I should learn to start earlier in the morning! On the plus side we almost had the river to ourselves.

The Corolla came through once again, handling all the equipment and both kayaks like a champ. A/C was ice cold after the ride too which was a great relief. One potential upgrade I have contemplated is a trunk-mounted 15 amp 12v power outlet for the pump. I'm using the cigarette lighter outlet in the dash, but a trunk-mounted one would be more flexible.

·
Premium Member
1994 Corolla DX
4,786 Posts
Got new all-seasons (9.5 years old) AND new winter tires (7.5 years old). Neither set have much wear at all, but... better safe than sorry with old rubber...

Got a GREAT deal on the winters and a good deal on the all-seasons. The newly launched Michelin X-Ice Snow (generation after XI3) for $85 per tire shipped, minus an overall $110 rebate, so $230 for the set before taxes! Went with Michelin Defender for the all-seasons, $110 per tire before the $110 rebate, so $330 for the set before taxes.

Last day to claim the $110 Michelin rebate over at discounttiredirect.com.

I'll probably use ASAP Tire for the mounting. They come to your house, Hunter balancing machine installed in their truck and all, and do the job in your driveway for $25/tire mounted and balanced.

·
Premium Member
1994 Corolla DX
4,786 Posts
Nice!
Have you had this tire before for the Corolla?
Not on the Corolla. I’ve had them on the Outback and liked them. I’m running Michelin Primacy on the Outback now as I got a great deal on them a while back.

The Defenders on the Corolla will replace their predecessor, Michelin Harmony.

·
Registered
Toyota Corolla, 1.8, 1994, 7aFE, EFI
16 Posts
Driving it to office, 15 Kms, almost all of which off-road driving. The hood has an annoying screeching noise, deal with it later in the day.

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
Driving it to office, 15 Kms, almost all of which off-road driving. The hood has an annoying screeching noise, deal with it later in the day.
is it the motor mounts doing that to the hood? my hood vibrates sometimes, worse when its Bitter cold out

·
Registered
Toyota Corolla, 1.8, 1994, 7aFE, EFI
16 Posts

·
Premium Member
1994 Corolla DX
4,786 Posts
So.... I've now got THIRTEEN new tires in my garage waiting for mounting and balancing. SMELLS LIKE RUBBER.
And now I don't. Got them all mounted and balanced yesterday, woot! Have yet to take the Rolla's Defenders out for a test drive, but judging by the differences in flexibility and grip I could feel by hand compared to the almost-10 year old Harmonys it should be a great upgrade.

2621 - 2640 of 2653 Posts