Toyota Nation Forum banner
2801 - 2820 of 2904 Posts

·
Premium Member
1994 Corolla DX
4,950 Posts
Side questions: is the speedo digital or a cable on these? The previous owner gave me a cable but I was reading that it's digital. Pulled the cluster and def no cable. Am I tripping? How do I fix the inop speedo?
Long answer: The transmission has a VSS that sends an analog electrical signal to the cluster. The speedometer transforms the analog signal to digital to pass on to the ECM.
Short answer: For all practical purposes it's "digital" (as opposed to mechanical wire).

First thing to check is if there are any DTCs set, specifically for the VSS. If not, it's likely a capacitor issue with the speedo. There are some threads on this forum for how to fix, you'd have to dig those up (or if someone has those handy they can post a link).

·
Registered
1993 Toyota Corolla DX Wagon
8 Posts
Long answer: The transmission has a VSS that sends an analog electrical signal to the cluster. The speedometer transforms the analog signal to digital to pass on to the ECM.
Short answer: For all practical purposes it's "digital" (as opposed to mechanical wire).

First thing to check is if there are any DTCs set, specifically for the VSS. If not, it's likely a capacitor issue with the speedo. There are some threads on this forum for how to fix, you'd have to dig those up (or if someone has those handy they can post a link).
Appreciate it. I saw a video on capacitor replacement. It's within my capabilities but tedious. I'll check DTCs. Thanks!

·
Registered
1997 Corolla
6,419 Posts
Speedometers in these cars can have capacitor issues. If everything else in the system is good, like the Vehicle Speed Sensor, then I'll bet you have bad caps. Open up the cluster and inspect the speedo up close. If you've ever soldered, or even not, you might look into repairing it yourself.
I've never been inside the cluster in one of these cars, but I'll bet it's not too bad of a job to do. You just need a good iron, and to be sure to get the new capacitors' polarity correct.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Speedometers in these cars can have capacitor issues. If everything else in the system is good, like the Vehicle Speed Sensor, then I'll bet you have bad caps. Open up the cluster and inspect the speedo up close. If you've ever soldered, or even not, you might look into repairing it yourself.
I've never been inside the cluster in one of these cars, but I'll bet it's not too bad of a job to do. You just need a good iron, and to be sure to get the new capacitors' polarity correct.
Definitely gonna give it a try. Everything else works fine except for the speedo. I have an iron and steady enough hands to attempt.

·
Registered
1997 Corolla
6,419 Posts
Look for bulges or signs of leakage from the caps. Plenty of pics online of bad caps.

I tried doing caps for the first time several weeks ago, on my old monitor/TV, and it's still working. I also changed out the stepper motors in my Mustang's gauges, and it's just about worth it, just to not have to deal with a speedo cable...

Reactions: igotwerms

·
Registered
8 Posts
Look for bulges or signs of leakage from the caps. Plenty of pics online of bad caps.

I tried doing caps for the first time several weeks ago, on my old monitor/TV, and it's still working. I also changed out the stepper motors in my Mustang's gauges, and it's just about worth it, just to not have to deal with a speedo cable...
Appreciate your elaboration. It will be that much more of a sense of accomplishment. I found this for a visual.

·
Registered
4,938 Posts
cannot get much of anything done on the Corolla when there is an inch of fresh snow onit at 7AM
i did get the return fuel hose hooked back up to the fuel pump bracket a few days ago, used a Napa gates brand that cost less than 2$, and a new Toyota sourced clamp from Miami to replace the crusted original clamp. the old hose that was sliced off fell down somewhere before i could grab it and disappeared :eek: somewhere on top of the tank out of sight

Automotive parking light Car Vehicle Tire Wheel

Reactions: Bryan1 and DrZ

·
Registered
4,938 Posts
this new-to-the-car-salvage fuel tank strap needs to be tweaked into shape, a proper snug secured fit
its just dangling there when i reattached it :eek: what a sticky mess its gonna be

Automotive tire Bumper Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Rim

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Hood Grey

Tire Automotive tire Wood Tread Rim

·
Registered
4,938 Posts
replaced the fuel tank strap bolt on the passenger side rear, this one took it very slowly to remove with care, it was getting roasty in the threads
greased up the new one with some HV woolWax since this looks to rust from the top down inside that cavity

Wood Body jewelry Jewellery Fashion accessory Metal

Wood Gas Screw Nut Metal

Wood Household hardware Hardwood Metal Fastener

then used the very warm record 70 degree day to give it a good sponge bath because it was quite dirty sitting in the dust since the last time i washed it seems months ago

Automotive parking light Car Vehicle Land vehicle Grille

Sports equipment Automotive tire Hood Fluid Liquid

Reactions: Apples555 and DrZ

·
Registered
4,938 Posts
i pouted at the wasted effort giving the car a bath yesterday
in the late afternoon some severe weather moved through fast, 70mph + tornado sirens going off
it rained MUD for about 10 or 15 minutes :(

Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Road surface Tints and shades

Window Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting Hood

Automotive parking light Car Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle

Water Automotive tire Hood Wood Automotive exterior

truck looks like i had some fun going mudding but I was deep under it in the rear cleaning out a cavity with the airhose during the storm and warning sirens, how safe is that :eek:
i did have the radio on and the tornado spottings were quite far away still
Car Automotive parking light Land vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle

·
Registered
4,938 Posts
finally got this buggar out with help from the nephew
he decided we take down that engine mounting center member, 4x 14mm with 1/2 ratchet extension and pipe breaker to break torque
then used the tire lug wrench that I read Pete used to get his axle off eons ago by wedging it between axle and case and nephew popped it right off like butter with his bare hands lol, no hammer impact needed
so now i can truck this axle back to Topeka via KCMO next week and get the 75$ core for the reman, ...just have to stay off that Kansas turnpike to get there
and also have to order 2 new 14mm bolts for the radiator support, already have the 2 new for the front mount, as part of the new nut and bolt restoration project on this classic Corolla

Automotive tire Auto part Jewellery Audio equipment Fashion accessory

original axle pics

Automotive tire Bicycle part Rim Gas Automotive wheel system

Camera accessory Cameras & optics Auto part Composite material Engineering

Gas Nickel Engineering Auto part Metal

no transmission fluid came pouring out either so the level must not be full enough

needs cleaned up...

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Helmet Clock

·
Registered
4,938 Posts
I've never lost much fluid when doing an axle on a Corolla.
when the driver side came out a bunch of fluid came out of the diff that i still have yet to refill
i recall the fsm saying somewhere to drain the fluid before removing the axles

Reactions: Pete Suhman

·
Registered
1997 Corolla
6,037 Posts
No need to drain beforehand. Just refill afterward if a lot spilled out.

Reactions: Apples555

·
Registered
Rolla DX
421 Posts
Gf bought me a badass Christmas gift.. hoodie and T-shirt with my Corolla on it as well as a poster and some decals. Also my 2 core radiator came in the mail ready for install once the weather gets better..
Outerwear Automotive tire Jersey Sleeve Sportswear

Automotive lighting Automotive tire Luggage and bags Hood Bag

·
Registered
Blacktop AE101
198 Posts
I received an OEM minidisc head unit from Japan, it works alright, although once it gets cold it can't read the TOC anymore lol, and of course since it's a JDM unit the radio doesn't cover the same frequency range, so it's pretty much useless as a regular radio.

I'm gonna need OEM brackets to install it properly, the mounting points are just too weird for me to make diy brackets. I was a bit surprised by the fit & finish once the radio is in place, there's still a visible gap all around, but looking at a brochure it's supposed to be that way.
Plant Steering wheel Steering part Vehicle audio Motor vehicle

Vehicle Car Automotive design Radio Steering part

Automotive design Motor vehicle Vehicle Steering wheel Audio equipment

·
Registered
328 Posts
I received an OEM minidisc head unit from Japan, it works alright, although once it gets cold it can't read the TOC anymore lol, and of course since it's a JDM unit the radio doesn't cover the same frequency range, so it's pretty much useless as a regular radio.

I'm gonna need OEM brackets to install it properly, the mounting points are just too weird for me to make diy brackets. I was a bit surprised by the fit & finish once the radio is in place, there's still a visible gap all around, but looking at a brochure it's supposed to be that way.
View attachment 364893
View attachment 364894
View attachment 364895
Cool find! gives a quirky touch but I'm not willing to give up the aux and usb ports

Been looking for those brackets as well, but no dice. Most cars had the head unit replaced with an aftermarket one, and instead of bolting to the brackets, people used the sheet metal sleeve that comes with the new radio for the mounting, and scrap the brackets... Which is not the best way imo, as the weight is supported by the dash panel, and as we know it's not the strongest piece in the world

Enviado do meu SM-A528B através do Tapatalk

2801 - 2820 of 2904 Posts